“Good (not great) business hotel”

Sheraton Phoenix Airport Hotel Tempe
Ranked #37 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Charlotte, NC
“Good (not great) business hotel”
Reviewed October 28, 2006

I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights and had no problems. I caught a fair amount of road noise from my room as it faced a road that seemed to be (at least from the noise) travelled frequently by 18-wheelers.

The lobby is "current generation Westin" - Well laid out and attractive with multiple sitting areas and a bar / lounge.

The quest rooms were not quite up to par with what I've seen in the "current generation Sheraton" rooms I've stayed in recently. Nonetheless, they were nice.

Service in the restaurant (for breakfast) was fairly good, although not quite as quick as I might have liked -- I found myself asking for my check, more water, etc. rather than the task being taken care of automatically. The food was standard breakfast-buffet fare with some fruit / yogurt / cereal thrown in for good measure. One morning they served nothing but "canned fruit", which was gross. The rest of the time, it was at least semi-fresh.

The hotel has both wired and wireless access, and the only complaint I have revolves around this service. Wireless is promoted in the room, but no mention of price is made. The cost is also not listed on the "sign-in" page where one enters an access code. One has to call the front desk to get an access code, and the first time I did, no one told me there was a cost. No big deal, but it shows a lack of training and/or attention to detail. It would be far easier for all parties if the wireless solution simply announced it would cost 10 bucks, asks you to agree, then gives you access. I also asked for a copy of my bill to be emailed to me, which hasn't happened to date.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
2 Thank RussellnJulie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2006

Very pleasant choice after a long transatlantic flight. However we did have difficulty locating the property as we approached it from the new car rental facility at the airport. Room was booked via Sheraton website and was a terrific bargain for £53 sterling for the night. Restaurant was closed on our arrival for a wedding but bar was open and served us a satisfactory meal. Room was large, comfortable and well equipped. Breakfast was buffet style with a varied selection and was well priced.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Not as easy to get to as anticipated
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Whinbrook
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 15, 2006

We needed a place close to the airport to stay one night on our way home from a two-week tour of Arizona. We arrived late, so we didn't get to check many of the amenities, but it is a very nice hotel, with very comfortable beds.

It is a bit hard to find (we drove past it the first time), but worth it. For an airport hotel, Sheraton has gone out of its way to build a more pleasant hotel than I expected.

They do have room service and shuttle service to the airport, but we didn't use either.

The only complaint is that they (like many business hotels) charge for Internet access - $9.99 for 24 hours. Since we've had free WiFi for much of our trip, that was a change, and since we checked in about 11pm and checked out in the morning, we really didn't get our money's worth on the charge. Still, I have seen worse charges for Internet and the wired connection did work flawlessly.

Stayed August 2006
5 Thank DallasKJG
san diego, CA
Reviewed August 20, 2006

This is really a beautiful hotel, with a lovely lobby area and very comfortable beds and pillows. It is much nicer than most airport area hotels. the pool area is lovely. Since we are Gold Starwood Preferred guest members, they upgraded us to club floor. We had a late checkout on Sunday, and they gave us keys to use the club floor until we left for the airport at 7:00 PM. the only downside was the shuttle picking us up at the airport; we had to wait almost 40 minutes. the shuttle from the property back to the airport the next morning left proptly as scheduled. I had the feeling that when I complained about the long wait at chec kin, they would have upgraded us to the club floor just based on that, regardless of our Gold status.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ellieca
West Grove, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 29, 2006

We missed a flight connection at Phoenix airport and US Air put us up overnight at their expense at this hotel. We only arrived around 10 PM and had to leave at 5:30 AM the next day so had little opportunity to examine the facility. However, the staff was helpful at a busy time and the front desk host even drove the shuttle to take us to the airport when the regular smaller van was full. (Shuttles run every half hour by reservation, but obviously you can get on without the reservation.) The only slight glitch we had was the soda machine on an upper floor ate my money and gave no soda, but without hesitation the front desk refunded my money based on my word only! Room was very comfortable if medium in size, and the WiFi worked fine, but cost $9.99 for one night. I think hotels ought to absorb that cost in 2006 since it is a bit like paying for local phone calls. Anyway, we would surely stay here again (at our own expense).

• Liked — comfortable bed
  • Disliked — short time there
  • Tips/Secrets — close to the airport and comfortable
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Awarely
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 6, 2006

Nice little surprise near the Phoenix Airport! The experience starts with complimentary shuttle service you arrive to a very beautiful and polished lobby with high ceilings and marble floor - the friendly registration desk checks you in asap and you make your way through the modern corridor and spacious, fast elevators to your room - The rooms are spacious, very clean and updated with a southwest feel. I enjoyed this hotel and would definetely stay here again. The large pool and whirlpool are very nice also..

• Stayed July 2006
8 Thank LAGIRL74
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 26, 2006

We stayed at the Sheraton one night prior to a very early flight home the following morning. The room was a good size and clean. The sweet sleeper bed was great although the shower was clean, it looked a little grungy.

Staff was friendly at check-in. We had a rental car that we brought back to the airport in the evening beofre the flight due to the time of our flight. When we got to the airpirt, we called the hotel to request the shuttle, as instructed. The gentleman at the front desk had a very difficult time with telling me where to meet the shuttle. Once we found it the driver was very friendly. We ate at the hotel resturant. The food was fine, service ok. There was a large group dining unexpectedly so food service was very slow.

Our wake up call was for 3 am and we were on a 3:30 am shuttle to the airport with a very chipper driver, Maricela. Since we didn't "officially" check out, the hotel emailed us a PDF of our bill, which was much appreciated.

If the oppurtunity presents itself, I'd stay there again.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business