“Business as usual” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 47 Hotels in Tempe
New York
“Business as usual”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I stay at the Sheraton at least 6 times a year for business and travel to and from Phoenix. Although the property is about average the staff is fantastic and always take good care of me or us if I'm traveling with my wife. Polly in the restaurant always provides attentive service.

Room Tip: Best to stay away from the pool and on the upper floors
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
West Hollywood, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I selected the Sheraton (which is about 15 minutes from the office) over other brands closer to the office, because I have Platinum status and have always found Sheraton to be a good brand. I was sorely disappointed. The hotel appears to be under construction and the fourth floor was completely closed and the club lounge moved to the first floor.

I checked in and was given a room right next to the elevator. I walked into the room and noticed it was kind of old, the bathroom was small and the desk blocked the door to the balcony. At this point I have no further expectations. I was there for business and working long hours, so I didn't complain. When I got back to my room Wednesday night I found about a half inch of water on the floor and the ceiling buckling. I ran down to the front desk and the gentleman called engineering and gave me a new room. He offered an apology that didn't seem genuine and at no point offered to help me move my things. I managed to get into my new room and the rest of the stay was uneventful. A couple of notes about the people. At one point I went downstairs looking for a bottle of water and was told I would have to purchase one (since the free bottles weren't replaced in my room). I noticed the bottles they offer for free in the room cost money at the front desk. I was able to get a bottle of water from the club lounge, which is on the other side of the hotel from the rooms.

Needless to say when I return to Phoenix on Monday I am staying in a different hotel. I will not go back to this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
5 Thank Ricksscot
ksp125, Director of Sales at Sheraton Phoenix Airport Hotel Tempe, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Rick,

On behalf of the hotel, I am genuinely sorry that your stay was filled with inconveniences and service that did not exceed expectations as most of our staff does strive for. We are currently undergoing a much-needed and very extensive renovation as you mentioned, but this of course is no excuse for how everything was handled during your stay. I have taken all of your comments and we are making the necessary changes and actions, I assure you. Please feel free to contact me directly the next time you are in the area and we would love the opportunity to show you how we have improved.

480.293.9079 Direct

Travelers are raving about these Tempe hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Stayed one night after evening arrival from UK. Hotel shuttle pick up was prompt. Note there is no direct phone link to the hotel from the courtesy phones in the baggage claim area at PHX.
The lobby area and the adjoining Fire & Spice restaurant were very nice. Check in person was not particularly engaging or welcoming, not a good first impression.
We had a king room on the 2nd floor overlooking the pool. The room and corridors were showing signs of wear and tear but the room was very clean. There was a small balcony with two chairs and a small table.
The pool area was not very large but was very nice. We had a meal at the restaurant which was fine and the waiter was very attentive.
We had a good nights sleep in a comfortable bed, there was no noise from either the planes or the traffic on the nearby freeway.
The breakfast selection was good and the breakfast area was comfortable. WiFi connection was good.
I would stay here again if I needed a hotel near PHX.

Room Tip: Called hotel prior to stay and upgrade to 2nd floor room with balcony overlooking pool for $10
Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank gerardty
Dear Gerardty,

Thank you for your comments and for staying at the Sheraton Phoenix Airport Hotel. I apologize that your first impression was not what we as a Sheraton team strive for, but I can assure you that I have shared your comments with the front office team and we will use this to improve our training. I'm happy to share that we are currently undergoing a highly anticipated $3.5 Million renovation on all of our guestrooms and hallways that will be completed in the fall, so I do hope that you come back to the area to see everything that we have done. We look forward to you returning to the Sheraton Phoenix Airport!

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Stayed there for 1 night. 10-min ride from the airport by shuttle. Shuttles run every half-hour.

Clean but dated rooms. Really loud A/C, otherwise quiet. Comfortable beds. Towels were clean, but had old makeup stains on them and a strong chlorine smell, need to be updated.

We had a decent burger and a generous portion of very good fish tacos in their restaurant downstairs.

Layout of the floor can be a bit weird. If you have mobility issues, ask for a room close to elevator (otherwise it can be a long walk).

Overall a convenient, simple stay near airport.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location
    • 3 of 5 stars
ksp125, Director of Sales at Sheraton Phoenix Airport Hotel Tempe, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear vg2555,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback; we absolutely value all responses from our guests that we can use to better the hotel and help us deliver excellent service. We are excited for our $3.5 Million dollar renovation that will be completed this fall which we are all very excited about and look forward to showing them off to our guests at that time. I have taken all of your comments to the proper department heads and we have taken action. We hope to see you return soon and definitely again after our renovation is complete!

480.967.6600
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was off of a main road but so worth it. The front desk staff very attentive and welcoming. The hotel was very clean and sparkling. It was a great hotel to unwind after 1100 miles of driving. The food and room service were good but need to have a few more non southwest offerings. The club staff was great took care of any needs I had great stay.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Todd D,

Thank you for your review! Our front desk, along with all of our Sheraton Phoenix Airport staff, really strive to do their best with each guest that walks through the doors, so it is great to hear that you felt welcomed and that our housekeeping and Club Room staff did a great job as well. I have passed on your comments regarding the "more non-southwest offerings" at the restaurant, Fire + Spice. Thank you again for your comments, it helps us improve and also spotlight and reward certain departments.

Tolleson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Motel is in need of some updating. Older and showing its age. Room had a musty smell. Lobby and pool area are very nice and made the stay worthwhile. Not what you would expect from a Sheraton brand hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location
2 Thank Deeann611
Dear Deeann611,

Thank you for your feedback and I have passed this on to the department heads and team members. I'm very happy to share that we are currently undergoing a much-needed and highly anticipated $3.5 Million renovation on our guestrooms and hallways. This renovation will be completed this Fall and then we will focus on the public areas next summer, 2015. I would like to invite you back in the fall so we can show you everything that has been updated. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the lobby and pool area and next time you stay with us, we do hope to exceed our expectations of the Sheraton brand.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

I have high expectations of Starwood properties and was disappointed with this one. Its obvious the hotel is an older property which is fine but some of the furniture shows it. I absolutely do expect a clean room and bathroom. NOT. The bathroom had plenty of hair in the tub/shower area and floor. GROSS. Some of the fixtures showed plenty of wear and tear so again not what I expect from Starwood. Staff is up to par, thank you. Sheraton near the convention center in Phoenix is MUCH better.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Aaron H
ksp125, Director of Sales at Sheraton Phoenix Airport Hotel Tempe, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Aaron,
Thank you for your feedback and I have made sure that your concerns were passed on to the proper department heads. We are currently undergoing a $3.5 Million renovation on all of our guestrooms and are very excited for the future of the hotel which should be completed by Fall, 2014. Although this renovation does not excuse the Housekeeping issues you experienced, I wanted you to know that we have taken feedback about the condition of our rooms very seriously and are doing something about it. We would love the opportunity to earn back your business. Please feel free to contact me directly.

katie.provot@sheratontempe.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tempe
DoubleTree by Hilton Phoenix Tempe
Red Roof Inn Tempe - Phoenix Airport
Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - Tempe
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Phoenix Airport
Comfort Suites Airport Phoenix
Hyatt Place Tempe/Phoenix Airport

Been to Sheraton Phoenix Airport Hotel Tempe? Share your experiences!