“Hotel Does Not Honor Reserved Room Type”

Sheraton Phoenix Airport Hotel Tempe
Ranked #35 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Laguna Hills, CA
“Hotel Does Not Honor Reserved Room Type”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

I have stayed at this several times through the years, but my last experience and how it was handled by front desk staff will not have me going back. I am Gold or above at both Marriott and Hilton and they have never treated me this way. I booked a room with double beds well in advance and it wasn't available when I checked in around midnight. Instead a single king room was the only one available. They didn't tell me this before I went to room and only offered to refund my points when I complained repeatedly. This is why I reserve a room in advance. If I didn't show they would have made me pay, so when I reserve a specific room, I should get the same guarantee. The hotel itself is just average, lobby is nice, but room is just ok. However, since they cannot honor reserved room type, there is no way I ever "reserve" and stay here again. Totally unacceptable.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jstwannaknow
Carm_TEM, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Phoenix Airport Hotel Tempe, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We were sorry to hear your stay was less than stellar and apologize for your experience. Please be assured we have taken up the issues with our management team as and we continually seek to improve our overall guest experience. On behalf of the Sheraton Phoenix Airport Hotel, we sincerely thank you for being a loyal Starwood Preferred Guest Gold member and apologize for the challenges that you experienced while staying at the hotel. We would love for you to contact the property and speak with the General Manager so we can learn more from your particular experience. Thank you again for your feedback as we strive to make each guest experience comfortable and memorable and we hope you will give us a second chance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Lake Havasu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

I stayed recently at this location and like a scatter brain left my brand new suite in the closet. When I called days later after realizing what I had left behind, they quickly located my articles and packaged them up to ship to my home.

Thank you to Janelle Quimby and the other amazing staff involved in the house keeping department!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Carm_TEM, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Phoenix Airport Hotel Tempe, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Thank you so much for letting us know what a wonderful job our staff is doing in taking care of the guests even after they have departed. Please be assured that Janelle and the housekeeping staff will be recognized for the great service that they provided to you. Thank you again for your great review and we hope to see you back again soon.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

Hotel is ok for a quick night near the airport. However, the halls smell very musty and mildewy. Rooms are ok, nothing spectacular. Not much around the hotel to do, either.

The bar and the good was decent, perfectly acceptable. Staff was very friendly. Overall again it's ok-nothing special.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Carm_TEM, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Phoenix Airport Hotel Tempe, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you so much for your review. We will be taking your comments and passing them along to our Housekeeping Manager so that we can make the changes necessary for a great stay. We do have a great staff here at the hotel that wants to make every guest happy and we will pass along your wonderful comments to show them that they are doing a great job. Thank you again and we hope to see you back again soon.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

My stay at this hotel was a fly-in, fly-out situation, but Tim, the day manager, did everything he could to make it enjoyable. Although check-in wasn't until 3:00 p.m., I was able to get to my room (with upgraded pool view) by 10 a.m. Tim arranged transportation via the shuttle for my meeting location and to/from the airport.

The lobby and pool area of the hotel have been updated. They've packed everything you need - restaurant, bar, business area, lounge area, snacks/drinks into a smaller space than their downtown location, but still adequate. Hallways feel compacted, with wallpaper that could use a refresh. But, my room had been recently updated and included a King bed, 4 fluffy pillows, a comfy comforter, coffee maker powered by steam w/ Starbucks, a flat screen TV and lovely bath amenities. I had to snag the mini-bath sponge for use on future travels!

So, kudos to Tim and the friendly Sheraton Airport staff. The hotel was at capacity, but they still managed to fulfill my requests, as well as those of the team I was traveling with. Thank you!

Room Tip: Ask for the pool view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your feedback. We are always happy to accommodate any guest that we can. We have the best front desk staff ever and are lucky to have Tim a part of that team. Please be assured that he will recognized for giving such outstanding service to our guests. We do want to let you know that we will be going through renovations this summer to address the wallpaper issues in the hallways. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon.
Madison
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

People here were very nice. I have to feel sorry for them, because the condition of the hotel is really poor.

I was on the 4th floor, which is the club floor. There are no balconies on that floor. Other floors have the balconies.

If you pay attention to the maintenance / upkeep of this property you will quickly realize it needs a heavy overhaul.

Too many things to state here, but some items to note were. Fascia on outside of building decrepit and rotting. Carpeting old and worn. Drapes old and worn. Ceilings old and cracked. Caulking moldy. Beds very old, and not updated. Outside of facility looks run down, and old. Printers not working anywhere. I used the club one, reported it, they told me to use the main floor printer...of course that did not work either..out of ink.

Housekeeping does a fine job, especially considering what they have to work with.

Pool area was the best location in the facility, followed by the workout area. Room I had was terrible.

If you are used to the newer Sheraton's, and expect the same here, you will not get it. Be ready for an old and run down property.

If it were not for the friendly people, and housekeeping, I would have tried to give it a negative 1.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
2 Thank ClickTheGeek
Thank you for your feedback. We were sorry to hear your stay was less than stellar and apologize for your experience .Please be assured that your comments will be passed along to the management team to help other guests with similar challenges. We would like to inform you that we are going to be embarking on major room renovations this summer and to continue into next year as well. Those renovations will address many of the challenges that you had during your stay. We would love for you to contact the property and speak with the Guest Services Manager so we can learn more from your particular experience. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again when our rooms have been given the attention that is needed.
DC Metro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Check-in was quick and easy. The front desk receptionist was very helpful. My room was very clean. The bed was comfortable and I loved the pillows. I did have to unplug the alarm clock in order to charge my phone next to the bed though. I had a balcony that overlooked the parking lot, but I did appreciate the ability to sit outside and enjoy the warmth since back home it was still sub-zero.

The air conditioning was kind of loud but I didn't really notice it after the first few hours. The same was true for the airplanes. I remember hearing them in the late afternoon, but I don't recall hearing them later.

I didn't rent a car on this trip and there wasn't much within walking distance. You could take the shuttle to the light rail stop though.

The front desk staff went out of their way to help me. Erika was awesome.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate all the great things that you had to stay about our hotel. We do have the best front desk staff and we will recognize Erika for going above and beyond for our guests. We are going to go through room renovations soon and would love to have come back and experience our new look. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you soon.
Show Low, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

we love this hotel for airport trips, you can park your car here, catch the shuttle and not pay for parking. Nice beds with quality sheets. Always clean rooms and showers. The pool is quite big and always nice and cool.

Room Tip: If you can get upgraded to the 4th floor breakfast and snacks are included.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Carm_TEM, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Phoenix Airport Hotel Tempe, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you so much for your great review. We love to hear when our guests have a great time at the hotel. We will pass along to out housekeeping staff that they are doing a wonderful job with the rooms. Our staff works so hard to ensure that every guest is taken care of and it is so wonderful to them to hear that their hard work is making a difference. Thank you again for such a great review and we can't wait to see you again.