“On the road with Ethan, the dog”

Motel 6 Phoenix Tempe - Priest Dr - Asu
Ranked #43 of 53 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed March 19, 2011

Tried this Motel 6 a second time in order to give it a chance to redeem itself. It did not. Perfect grounds and woods to short walk a dog.
Got in line at the desk and when I tried to check in was told I was in a cash only line.....would I mind waiting? I said no. Enrique was a real help and said we could do all the paper work and then swipe the card at the next register. Meanwhile, at 4:30pm , there were no non-smoking rooms available and the wait was 20-30 minutes with two other guest already a head of me. I asked about smoking rooms and was given one. It was hot and the dog was in the car.
Mean while, another guy had budged in line and was being helped by an attendant as they sorted out a problem. So, I waited longer and the line behind me grew to 6 people. Finally, got the card swiped and I thought Enrique was a great employee making the best of a bad situation. The room was on the third floor though I had asked for a bottom floor. It was ok, lots of burn marks, but a nice view.
Not a great motel for finding a place to eat. One place down the street, Hail Marys, and it was crowded. The bar and the dining room are separate so that would be nice for families. Not real cheap, beer was on the warmer side, but a nice .99 happy hour appetizer selection. Try the Rippers!
The parking lot was totally full back at the motel so parked beside a marked marking spot and hoped for the best. There is a pool.
Ethan and I love Motel 6, but doubt we will stay at this one again. Go to the one on Broadway or on Scottsdale Rd.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank TravelerWithDog

Reviewed January 7, 2011

During my stay at the Motel 6, it was clean, and friendly service. The new shower design was nice. One that curves out and round. I always enjoy my stay at the Motel 6 as it is what a motel should be: one to kick back and relax in and not live in. Who needs luxury when you are on the go? Motel 6 is good for those that have a busy lifestyle and need a cheaper place to stay for the night versus all the luxurious hotels that you do not need all the luxuries. If you are looking for a clean and inexpensive nights stay; Motel 6 is the place.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Upon arrival we were placed in room 130 which we selected for security reasons (we were given a choice of rooms). We dropped our things off and went off to a business meeting which ran very late. Upon our return we noticed that the TV was broken and asked for another first floor room. None were available but we were offered the room directly above 130. We moved our things and went to sleep.
At 5am our car alarm went off but since we were on the 2nd floor it took a few minutes to wake us up. The time it took for us to make our way to even see the car was just time enough for the jerk who broke into our car time to clean us out and run away.
We notified the office and I want to say now, that with the exception of the Manager (Dan Carabeo) each and every staff member we encountered was amazingly nice, courteous and helpful.
When we notified the office we were told that we needed to speak to Dan to see what he could do for us. I called him when we returned from another meeting and after a brief conversation which ended in him telling me "you have 15 minutes to vacate my property" we left.
We had paid in advance for 2 nights. He offered us our second night in a refund, which he seemed to think was very nice of him. When I requested our first night also be refunded he said he "would not" do that regardless of the circumstances of our previous nights stay.
When I told him that this was not satisfactory he became combative and raised his voice to me. Having been a business owner for some time and in customer service for 2 decades prior to that... I know that word of mouth is everything. I told him that I would be posting this review and telling all of my friends and family to never stay in this motel to which he replied "You're threatening me. Vacate my property in 15 minutes." He also claimed to have never had any incident of theft at his location before but the Tempe Police Department says otherwise and went so far as to state that the location was an ongoing problem.
I would not stay here every again... although I still remain a loyal Motel 6 customer.

Upon our own investigation we found several dilapidated bikes and and "escape ramp" behind the dumpster that enables someone to simply walk up a plank and pop over the fence and get away clean.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank bbsummerton
Reviewed March 1, 2010

My best friend and I stayed here after we weren't to get in touch with some friends whom we were supposed to visit. We had to scramble at the last minute to find a hotel. We went with Motel 6 because we remembered they were fairly affordable and decent.

We got the affordable part right, but this Motel 6 was in a questionable area. There were lots of people hanging out in the parking lot all night. I've stayed in other Motel 6's and this one is the worst. The room smelled musty and moldy. If we weren't so exhausted, we would have gone elswhere.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank AnneKDesigner
Reviewed April 30, 2009

Like most Motel 6's, this one has relatively new furnishings, simple and affordable. We however were a bit frightened by the caliber of the guests and the area. We ended up putting the chair by the door and woke up ok. If you stay here, keep repeating your savings or come late and leave early. The Scottsdale 6 is in a safer location for a few dollars more...

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2009

Stayed one night with a group of friends before flying back to Italy, Average rooms, clean and spacious enough. Quiet area compared to the VERY noisy locations around the airport, yet easy to reach the next day. Wi-fi worked fine. Only in our room (out of 4 we got) A/C was working so-so, but no big deal. Would come back!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 6, 2008

Stayed here for three nights during the Super Bowl weekend for roughly double the rack rate ($125/night vs usual $60 or so)when every hotel in the Phoenix/Tempe metro area was quoting at least three times as much.

The location was fine, the staff was neither friendly nor rude, the property itself was clean and the room appeared to be recently refurbished with a new bathroom, carpet and linens. The parking lot can be a bit loud at night, so make sure to stay on the 2nd or 3rd floor (there is an elevator). And I did wake one night due to the guests in the next room making some noise...

For breakfast, we ate at a Denny's one block away. There is nice shopping mall, Arizona Mills, about two miles away.

Overall, this was probably the best Motel 6 property I've ever stayed at (though it has been a long, long time since my last stay). A good value.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank boknowshotels