“$125 per night, it was kind of average”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Phoenix - Tempe
Ranked #19 of 53 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed April 5, 2013

The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, furnishings a little dated but fine. The rooms open to outside doors...that may be an issue for some. I thought the grounds were nice & well kept. For $99 to $110 per night....I probably would have rated it above average.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Janice K, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Phoenix - Tempe, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Dear Dad05,

Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. We appreciate your candor and we look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel and guest suite appearance. Thank you again for your feedback.

Janice

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed here on a Saturday night of Easter Break. We were worried about the crowds and noise, as the pool area was literally so crowded you could hardly see the water. Our room was overlooking the hot tub. Fortunately, the rooms are very well insulated and quiet. The 2 room suite is perfect - the beds and the sheets were fantastic! Very nice facility.

Only issue when so crowded - it was difficult to do the evening reception as the lines were horrendous just to get a drink and chips/popcorn. Same thing in the morning for breakfast and the Garcias that is "in" the property. Location of the hotel is great though - just down the street is Starbucks, Chase ATM, and Whole Foods Market.... and easy access off the i-60. Great nights sleep! Pleasant staff at check-in and out as well.

Room Tip: Ask where your toom is - you could wind up walking quite a ways - it is quite a large hotel. We ask...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed here for my son's baseball tournament and had a very nice experience. After getting through some issues with the booking staff, everything else was very nice. I would have to agree with a previous reviewer that they are understaffed at times (only one bartender and a huge line for the nightly drinks and only one person at the front desk) I also wasn't real pleased with the mattress on the pull out for my kids. It was pretty worn out and we wound up laying it on the floor so they could be comfortable. We did try to book a two bedroom, but they were all sold out. There were kids running around outside, but I don't blame the hotel for that, I did see/hear them trying to get the kids to stop. For the hotel being booked at maximum capacity, they did pretty good trying to control the noise.
The breakfast was awesome! With a full breakfast buffet and omlet/egg bar, there was something for everyone. Even the picky eaters couldn't complain. I didn't get a chance to try their mexican restraunt, but a few from our party did and they thought it was good. The pool was a good size and there were always clean towels even during busy times.
Overall we had a good experience once we got there. It was a tad on the expensive side, but once I saw the breakfast and hotel ammenities I thought is was worth it. We would go back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This is your typical Embassy Suites with the breakfast, manager’s reception, and all. The hotel is clean and one can tell it has been remodeled. The property is large with plenty of parking, a nice pool, hot tub, and space for kids to run around outside. I was expecting two queen beds, but my room had two doubles…no big deal, but with kids more room is better than less.

Somebody is understaffing the hotel in this frequent travel’s personal judgment. Upon arrival at 6:30 p.m. the ONE FRONT DESK CLERK was overwhelmed with the telephone and a few guests checking-in. Finally, a second lady arrived from the back and did NOT seem too happy to be there. When I was checked-in, the first clerk was very nice. The next day a couple was attempting to purchase a beverage from the ‘snack bar’ (and finally just left some cash on the front desk), a FedEX man was at the front desk with a package, and at least 5 people were in line with ONE CLERK was speaking with a guest on the telephone. I’d think this hotel has a pretty good idea of how many guests will be arriving and should be able to plan for better front desk coverage.

At the manager’s reception the ONE BARTENDER was doing all he could to keep-up with the line of at least 10 and up-to 25 people waiting for drinks. He was serving with a smile, but could have used help pouring drinks. There was ONE lady cleaning tables and collecting empty glasses, but she needed help as well to keep-up. The snacks would have been nice, but were empty much of the time because there didn’t seem to be anyone with time to fill them. Once again, a full hotel may require a little more staffing in the bar.

The Mexican restaurant could not accommodate us, even after an hour wait. They too seemed to be understaffed. The hostess was also the cashier I think. I observed plenty of guests who were angry with the wait and many walked-out. A few more waiters, a dedicated hostess, and more cooks may be needed. We finally just went down the street a block and picked-up some food at a local restaurant. Again, when the hotel is full more staff are needed.

I gave it an average for sleep quality because kids were allowed to play outside the rooms, running and yelling, until about 11:00 p.m. Parents, please.....teach those kids to show some respect for those of us trying to get a good night's sleep. Hotel Manager, you may need to tell children to go inside (I know you shouldn't have to do this).

The staff were friendly and I am impressed they performed well under the pressure of being overworked. I know paying extra people eats into profit, but in the long run it’s worth it. So, in comparison to other Embassy Suites, this one comes-out average. Staff up for excellence.

Room Tip: Some rooms with a patio also are near the pool and outdoor patio. Nice for some people, but you may...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Phanstern
Janice K, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Phoenix - Tempe, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear Phanstern El Paso,

I am very sorry that we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and we are sorry we let the ball drop. We are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience and appreicate your comments. Thank you for your feedback and we hope you will consider giving us another chance.

Janice

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I booked this hotel at the last minute for a quick business trip. I flew into Phoenix airport and rented a car. The Embassy Suites is easy to find--it's right next to Interstate 60.

Check in was quick and easy. I have Diamond status with Hilton (Embassy Suites is part of the Hilton family), but there weren't any upgrades available. My suite was very nice and very well located, though.

The layout of this hotel is really a glorified motel--all of the rooms are accessed from outside.

My room consisted of:

A small living room with a love seat, a desk with an office chair and a sink/bar area and a television.
A medium sized bathroom that was well-appointed with plenty of fluffy towels.
A bedroom with a king sized bed, a dresser with another television, two bedside tables and a closet with sliding doors.

There was plenty of space, and everything was very comfortable. I couldn't get the air conditioning to cool the room down as much as I would have liked (I had flown in from Pennsylvania, where it was still freezing, and I hadn't adapted to the 90+ heat of Arizona). The fan in the air unit kept the air moving enough that it wasn't too uncomfortable.

There are plenty of areas to sit outside and enjoy the nice weather, including the pool, which has chaise lounges as well as tables with chairs. There are also benches in various courtyards, and the restaurant has an outdoor seating area.

There is a "manager's reception" every evening from 5:30PM until 7:30PM, where free wine, beer and cocktails are served, along with some snacks. I managed to have a glass of red wine on my first evening at the hotel.

Breakfast is complimentary and is a nice buffet served in the Mexican restaurant that is on the premises (note: the breakfast is not "Mexican"). It consisted of a typical hot and cold buffet, plus a made-to-order omelet station.

On my first evening at the hotel, I ate dinner at Garcia's, the Mexican restaurant attached to the hotel. I have reviewed this restaurant separately.

There are plenty of other restaurants in the area if you want variety. If you turn right onto Rural Road out of the hotel parking lot and drive about half a mile, make a right onto Baseline Road and go a few blocks, there is a strip mall on the left with several independent restaurants, including a Greek restaurant, a pizzeria, a barbecue restaurant (see my separate review of Tom's) and a sports bar (see my separate review of the Baseline Sports Bar).

At $121 per night (plus an $18 per night "suite tax"), this hotel is an excellent value for the quality of the property.

I will definitely stay here again the next time I have business in Tempe.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Location is not as close to the airport as can be BUT service is terrific. As with all Embassy Suites, they have their complimentary happy hour and breakfast. The staff welcomes you with open arms and on the phone, their voice sounds like they are smiling. The housekeeping department deserves a thumbs up as well. Parking is plentiful and a definite repeat if I am in the area.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The location of the hotel makes it easy to get to. We stayed in a room near the pool. I would recommend staying in a room away from the pool as the noise level was high. The room was nice as was the made-to-order breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple