“Cool Hotel in Hot Hot Phoenix”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Phoenix - Tempe
Ranked #19 of 53 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 2 weeks on business, otherwise who would go to Phoenix in the summer! The website said the renovations they were doing would be finished by the end of May, but the breakfast area was still under construction the end of June. Breakfast was served in the restaurant which was fine, the standard Embassy Suites omelets, etc. The evening reception was good but it gets crowded in the bar and the service is quite slow. One night we ate dinner in Garcia's (the restaurant on site), the food was OK but the service once again was lacking. Our waitress disappeared half way through our meal and the bartender took over; we waited so long for the bill that we finally had to go hunt him down.

The corridors are outside so the heat slaps you in the face every time you leave your room. They're also in weird layers so getting around with rolling luggage was a challenge. The room is where I was impressed, it was 110 degrees outside but the thermometer kept a steady 68. That allowed me to sleep through the night and wake up refreshed. Also, my room faced the pool and I never heard any noise coming from there or anywhere else.

If I need to go back to the Phoenix area I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Peter C, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Phoenix - Tempe, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Dear baloney56........we loved having you at the hotel and I'm very happy you enjoyed your long stay. The renovations are now complete and our lobby and restaurant are now beautiful, contemporary and much more inviting.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your comments here. We look forward to seeing you again at the hotel.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Last night was my first experience staying at the Embassy Suites - Tempe. I was highly impressed with the friendly / highly professional staff, very clean / up-to-date accomodations, and relaxing outdoor environment. Fortunately for me, I was able to participate in the social hour at the newly renovated bar area. As a professional traveling alone - I immediately felt welcome - by the staff and the very delightful General Manager. Embassy Suites - Tempe will be my hotel of choice on all future visits to Phoenix.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Peter C, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Phoenix - Tempe, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

Mary Ann U......I have to thank you very much for taking the time to post your extremely positive comments on Trip Advisor. It was a pleasure meeting you and learning more about you and your company's travel. We are proud to be the preferred hotel for your company and look forward to seeing you again very soon.

And thanks for being one of the first to christen our new manager's reception area. We are all very proud of this new space and the completion of our lobby renovation. Finally it's done and ready for everyone to enjoy!!

Safe travels.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times and always forget to write a review.
It is just a great place to stay.. close to the freeways, close to Tempe, great restaurants, wonderful breakfast and just an incredible staff.. Always willing to help my wife or I out and always smiling.
I know it may sound like I work there:) but I do not, just a frequent visitor to the Phoenix area and I love to stay there...

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

tdroth10.......it was a total pleasure hosting you again at the hotel. I know I am biased, but I do believe we have an incredible staff here at the hotel. Our newly renovated breakfast area is a dramatic improvement from what it used to be and our team is loving working there as much as our guests are enjoying eating there.

Thanks for posting your comments and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

I don't know where to start. When my 6 year old turned on the bathroom light, a bunch of sparks flew out and it seemed to sizzle. There was no fire (thank God!) and my husband called down to the desk but no one came to fix it. They did, however, come to fix the clogged toilet and the guy carried the (wet and contaminated) plunger through the entire room---dripping. YUCK! The construction was still going on in the lobby - which was fine until the workers arrived at 5am with their music BLASTING and they were screaming back and forth to one another in the parking lot. Plus, the smell from the constuction was HORRIBLE!! This seemed to go on all morning. When the workers took breaks to smoke, they do so right outside of our door and that was time we decided to check out.
DON'T STAY HERE!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Dear holly c.....I will apologize immediately to you and your family for the issues you experienced during your stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about the construction and condition of your guest room. I have already spoken to our maintenance team and they have inspected the light switch and I have also reviewed with them our procedures with regards to plungers. We have sanitary plunger removal bags that are to be used every time and I have reminded them to use them everytime. Thank you for mentioning that to me as it helps ensure we are delivering the absolute best experience every time.

I'm not sure when you stayed here but the construction and renovation of our lobby is now 100% complete. I'll apologize on behalf of the construction workers who we contracted to do the work here at the hotel. If you only knew how many times I spoke to them about their conduct on the property! The good news is it is over now, the place looks amazing and we can get back to being one of the best and highest rated Embassy's in the network.

I do hope you will give us another chance on your next to Tempe. I promise you will have an awesome stay.

Reviewed July 7, 2012 via mobile

My family and I stayed here before we went to Honolulu. We stayed here overnight, it was a great hotel except the first room we had I was relaxing on my bed when I saw a bug so I got up and shakes myself off. The bed was crawling with roaches. We asked for another room and the staff gave it to us, the next room still had people that were staying in the room so we asked them for another room and they gave us a room that was finally ok. Theft the inconvenience that that caused us they gave us a $25 gift card to their buffet and gave us a gift basket. It was a nice place to stay but I might not return here anymore....

• Stayed: September 2011
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Dear KrisKGirl......I have to apologize for the intrusion of the roaches in your suite. Upon further investigation I am happy to report it seemed that this issue was contained to your suite only and they were dealt with swiftly and effectively. We have an extremely robust pest control program in place at the hotel and with Hilton. It is with a nationally recognized company but very occassionally these pests find their way through the gauntlet of traps into places we'd rather not see them. As you can see from all the other comments on this site, there is never a mention of pests as we take this very seriously.

I'm very glad that you enjoyed the rest of the hotel and do hope you'll give us another try when you are in the area. Our team works very hard to exceed our guests expectations and a return visit would allow you to enjoy our great levels of service.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

We had our wedding reception here on May 26. The staff was wonderful, and went the extra distance to put together a first class event. The meals were terrific, and the service at the event was exceptional.

Our out of town guests who stayed at the hotel were thrilled with the location, price, and service.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Peter C, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Phoenix - Tempe, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

Dear barbara h......we were honored that you chose our hotel for this very special day. Congratulations to the both of you.

You are very sweet to take the time to post these very nice comments about our hotel and our team here. We are very happy that you and your guests enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to see you back at the hotel very soon. Thank you again for posting these comments.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

I am a very faithful customer to companies I respect and like, who treat their customers consistently well. This is why I typically chose Hilton Hotels, whether it be Embassy Suites, Hilton, Hampton or any other extension of the Hilton family. However my stay at the Tempe Embassy Suites was a huge let down. Despite the location being very central, located about 13 minutes from the airport, and 15 minutes from Scottsdale and right near Mill Ave., it was lackluster at best. The grounds are huge, and very confusing to navigate as there are separate buildings each with different letter coding (as in building L, etc), and upon checking in we were given our room number but absolutely no directions on where to go. When we stepped out to the outdoor walk way, we immediately got lost for about 10 minutes trying to locate our room that was in no clear discernible order, and no buildings were marked. It was also frustrating as the walk to the lobby and pool could take a while so a guest felt like they had to carry all their belongings they could possibly need with them to avoid a trip back to the room in 104 degree heat. The staff was consistently cold and somewhat rude, there was only one concierge that was helpful and friendly that I talked to in the 3 days I was there. The cooks at the included breakfast area were also very stand-offish, acting like they were completely put out to be at work, which doesn’t really brighten the morning very much. The room was clean, and well kept, house keeping did a good job. The pool area however was another story. There was styrofoam bits floating in the pool, garbage was left around, and the towels were empty a lot (as we spent a lot of time by the pool). One time when I went in to ask the front desk for more towels the woman working scowled at me and was extremely rude saying I would need to find housekeeping to ask. It wasn’t until I asked if she could call them that she obliged with an eye roll (seriously?). This was after walking through the outdoor walkway past two police officers who were there to mitigate a domestic dispute between two guests…awesome. I know part of the disappointment I felt was due to some questionable clientele but mainly due to the fact that I expect a certain level of service from Hilton and I was very underwhelmed by my interactions with the staff and plan on notifying Hilton of my experience. Moral of the story, if you get a chance to go here, I would opt for a different location.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask the concierge which building your room is in so you don't walk in blistering he...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank GlobeTrottingPanda
Peter C, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Phoenix - Tempe, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Dear GlobeTrottingPanda......I have to apologize for the less than positive experience you had while staying at the hotel. I'm quite concerned as I can assure you (and as you can read here from other guests who have stayed here), that was not a normal experience. I have already initiated meetings with the team members you have mentioned to ensure that they are giving their very best at all times and also to ensure that they give every guest our great resort/hotel map that clearly shows the easiest way to get around our beautiful hotel. A full orientation upon check-in is our standard and this includes clear direction to the convenient parking.

Clearly we missed in meeting your expecations and for that I am sorry. I'm very proud of our service levels as we are rated as one of the best Embassy's in the network. Clearly we have some work to do as we continue to work hard to do better and better and pay attention to the details.

I am glad you found the location convenient and the room clean and that you thought our housekeeping team did a good job. I hope you give us another chance on your next trip to Tempe to do much better. Besides, you'll have to come see our hotel after the renovation has been completed.

Thanks again for posting your comments. All comments help us get better and better.