“Shots fired and drunkeness”

Rodeway Inn Near AZ State University
Ranked #39 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here once before. It was quiet and the government rate of $40 is excellent. How a year has changed. First no more breakfast there is a sign that says coffee from 7 - 11 am and the directions to IHOP. Room was clean and well maintained for the rate. Checked in late so straight to bed, woke up at 4am with 4 shots fired within a 100 yards of the hotel if not in the parking lot. It appeared the homeless people living in the empty lot across the street or the drunk people upstairs who appeared to be long term tennants were arguing. Add the small fulltime rv park next door which also appeared to be on the low end with trash every where who knows who was shooting. Went to my meeting early came back at 10am to find the drunk people up stairs doing open dope deals in the parking lot.. called the cops and left

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank Roswellcop
There are newer reviews for Rodeway Inn Near AZ State University

Reviewed May 21, 2012

First time I doubt about this hotel by reading the reviews, but I did not have a choice.
This is the only hotel with my budget range. The room was fine, and clean. It was quite enough, so I could take rest. The front desk person was friendly and helpful to give me detail information about the direction. Overall I am satisfy with this hotel and nothing to complaint.

Rachael

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I was flying into Phoenix last minute and wanted to stay somewhere cheap. I had enough points through Choice Hotels to stay here for free. I rolled into the hotel (which is nowhere near the airport by the way) around 10:30pm. I walked into the reception area to a very strong smell of indian food. The staff was fast and efficient and I was in the room in minutes. The room was clean, but small. The AC unit was loud but not enough to keep me from sleeping. I woke up in the middle of the night with my alarm clock not working. Turns out that the power went out in most of the room. I had one light that worked and the tv still worked. Luckily I didn't need to be anywhere in the morning so not having the clock working wasn't that big a deal. The room looked to be in need of some renovations. It was clean, but old.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank todd m
Reviewed May 5, 2012

My mom,little sister,and I had booked a room for a night because of how cheap it was.But then we found a place that was cheaper.My mom had called in to cancel our reservation because it was charged to my card.The lady "Rashreed" had refused to cancel.She was asking all kinds of personal questions on why we wanted to cancel.Then my mom had asked to talk to her supervisor and wouldnt let her.And so my mom asked for a number she could call to make a complaint.But the lady wouldnt give it to her.She was extremely rude.So we ended up having to keep our reservations.We were very upset.So then we get to the hotel.....scope it out.There was absolutely no clock in the room,some of the outlets didnt work,there wasnt fresh toilet paper put it.and to top it off my mom was unable to sleep due to a guy above us stomping around and making loud noises.we were in room 118.We will never stay at Rodeway Inn ever again.It was simply a waste of money!

Room Tip: Its a cheap hotel.....so youre gonna get what you pay for.Due yourself a favor and pay 10 more dolla...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Being a Choice Hotels member I was looking for the cheap rate for a couple of nights. For an even bigger discount I booked by first singing into my EBATES account which gave me another 3% off the low government rate of $40.00. So thats the cheap rate down. I had room 111 ground floor external doors only. The room was a good size with two double beds. It was very clean and looked like it had recently updated. I had a new fridge in the room which still had tape holding the shelfs in place from the manufacture. The fridge is always a good plus. Hotel was in a good location for what I wanted but was a treck across PHX but that would happen no matter where you stayed. Down side was fairly loud most of the time. I could hear the light rail which passes right by the hotel. I could hear the staff going room to room to clean. They start really early and feel the need to move some cart up and down and bangs on everything. The breakfast is worthless big sign saying take one item only. Any way it was worth the under $40 i will eventually pay after rebates.

Room Tip: 111 was newly updated and appeared clean
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We stayed here one night during Spring Training because our other hotel was not available, the Rodeway was cheaper and had better reviews than anything else in the ASU area, and there was access to the light rail system to hit the Mill St district and the Phoenix Municipal stadium for a ballgame.
The property is very basic with your vehicle parked 5 ft from your door like many motels. When we checked in on a Saturday night, there was some type Mexican fiesta with music, dancing and drinking at a nearby property with a vacant lot separating it from the Rodeway. We thought, "Great, this will go on all night" however they were pretty controlled and cut the music off at a reasonable hour so it ended up being kind of interesting while it lasted. I wouldn't call the area around the hotel particularly "sketchy" but we exercised prudence as you would in any large city.
Our double room was pretty small but had a fridge, desk and small bathroom. No problems with either hot water, pressure or drainage. The ventilation system was very adequate if not particularly quiet but typical of motels of that era. There was a pool but we didn't use it. There was some noise trainsmitted from the parking lot and rooms as late travelers checked in or late night revelers returned but there weren't any large disturbances. The walls are pretty thin here.
The room was neat, clean and basic. It was fine for one night but I wouldn't plan an extended stay here unless I was alone on business, wanted to spend as few bucks as possible and still have access via the rail system.
Speaking of bucks, everything seems to appreciate dramatically during Spring Training. I paid $80 for a room that was probably worth $25-40 normally but I guess you have to roll with the punches during events. Had it not had access to the light rail with a station about a quarter mile away, I wouldn't have chosen this motel.
Check-in & out was quick. The Indian couple owning or managing the property must live on-site as the lobby smelled strongly of curry & spices like they had been cooking. They were efficient if not particularly friendly but they kept the place up and we had no complaints with the experience.

Room Tip: Couldn't tell you as all rooms are along one side of the parking lot on two floors. No buffer fr...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I stayed for two nights at the end of February. Though the hotel is in the middle of Tempe on a main road, there isn't anything nearby. The parking lot was visible from my window. There was a lock out door in the room, and sound went right through the door. Overall, I was satisfied and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012