“Good basic lodgings” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 47 Hotels in Tempe
New York City, New York
“Good basic lodgings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

I stayed for two nights at the end of February. Though the hotel is in the middle of Tempe on a main road, there isn't anything nearby. The parking lot was visible from my window. There was a lock out door in the room, and sound went right through the door. Overall, I was satisfied and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

Rodeway Tempe is great value for money. I stayed here while visiting some friends in the area. Room was very clean with a King bed which was quite comfortable. The desk people were very helpful and friendly. I was able to utilize the light rail across from this hotel quite often. It takes just 2 minutes to get to Mill Ave. entertainment district of Tempe. Overall I was very satisfied.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed here with my husband a few months back in order to visit with one of my relatives living in a nearby retirement community, and it was a horrible place to stay. If I had known this, I would've paid the additional $10 to stay at another place, as I chose this one based on price and some good reviews since it's been remodeled.
We arrived in Tempe around 9pm and found the place shut for the evening. After we rang the after hours bell, the man at the front desk looked very irritated to be disturbed, and when we tried to make polite conversation, he was very rude. When we asked for a smoking room, he replied that there were none. To add insult, he stated that if he caught a sniff of a ciggarette in our room after we checked out, he would then charge my credit card. As I am used to not smoking indoors, I was very offended at the way treated us, and made sure that he saw me walk across the parking lot to outside of the property line to smoke.
And while this hotel should not be judged by the rude man behind the desk, there were also various other disappointing features. In our room, whenever you sat on the toilet, it would physically move. The tub/shower was dirty and the drain was clogged, often I was standing in several inches of water by the end of one. The TV went off one night while we were there, and when I tried to call the front desk there was no answer. I physically knocked on the door, and no answer either. Even after pushing the after hours bell, there was still no answer. This was extremely frustrating. The bed in our room was awful. The mattress was so thin I could feel every spring in it, and it was filthy. The sheets did not actually fit the bed and I would wake many times stuck to the actual mattress. I ended up putting my sleeping bag on top of the mattress in order to get a good nights sleep. The walls are also paper thin, as we discovered to waking up several times to very loud neighbors. There was no working ice machine on the property (and in AZ in the summer... this is a problem). The "continental breakfast" was a joke... no more than a few 7-11 bought pastries, terrible coffee and a juice box. And you are limited to only take one. Overall, I will never stay at this place again... The attitude was like they were doing ME a favor by letting me stay there, and with horrible service and sub-standard rooms they were lucky to have me there for two nights. If I could've changed hotels without being charged for our room, I would have.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else