“When will I ever learn?! Bad reviews and empty tables mean "run!"”
Review of Caffe Boa

Caffe Boa
Reserve with OpenTable
Caffe Boa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 779 Restaurants in Tempe
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 4th
Transit: Metro stop 1 block away, Tempe Town Lake, ASU
Reviewed September 24, 2013

The scenario ... friends' son says "Try Caffe Boa in Tempe!" Friends invite us to go. We say yes. Check reviews: mostly awful. Do we suggest another choice? "No," we say, "it can't be that bad. Besides, why risk insulting our friends' judgment?” When we arrive on Sunday at prime dining time (6:30 PM) I count two other occupied tables besides our party of 6. Do I read the danger signs and bolt from this clear harbinger of impending danger? No. We sit. And wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. Happily, I got caught-up in the conversation with an out-of-town friend in the party and didn't notice how many "waits" there were in that sentence. Afterwards, my husband let me know that at 1 hour and 10 minutes, he raised holy heck with someone, which eventually produced a waiter. The food was unimaginative and terribly presented, as if no one really cared what the food looked like when it eventually arrived. I tasted every entree. Meh. Mine, an ersatz fettuccini Alfredo came with an extra $7 worth of dry salmon, unceremoniously dumped in the corner of the pile of gray-ish pasta. In advance, two of us had agreed to quietly pick up the tab of our out-of-town guest, making my portion of the bill 40%. I counted 1 appetizer, 6 entrees in the $15 - $17 range(one, mine at $22 given the $7 upcharge for the ruined salmon), 2 desserts, three margaritas, a glass of wine and two coffees. My share, before gratuity (which I grudgingly contributed at 20%) was $112.66. I’m no math wizard and can’t write or solve whatever equation I’d need to calculate the entire bill but, using my fingers, I figure the tab was just shy of $300 before tip. I will not return to overpriced, mediocre food with terrible service. The place was pretty, though. Shame.

1  Thank theprguy

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Brick walls, a comfortable space, and french doors to the outside produce a relaxing atmosphere. The food is excellent; each of the four of us were pleased with our dishes. One caveat to the restaurant management: my lasagne was delicious but the portion was too small. My dinner companions were dismayed by my small serving, while their dishes were more than ample.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

The best I can say about this restaurant is that they have a well stocked wine selection and their drink menu is creative. The wait staff and bartender were polite and efficient. On to the food- When I eat some place which is considered "fine dining" I expect something better than what I personally cook. I had the Osso Buco. I was the opposite of impressed. For some reason the chef sets the veal on top of the polenta and then smothers the whole dish in sauce. I wanted to taste the components individually. It ended up creating a soupy mess. The taste was just okay.
My husband ordered the hamburger. The dish he planned on getting was listed on the online menu but not in restaurant. The burger was well seasoned, over-cooked (he ordered med-rare and got well done) and falling apart for some reason. The burger came with an abundance of fries. Probably two large potatoes worth. They were seasoned and cooked just fine.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Had a business lunch here. Food was excellent and the service was quick and friendly. Location is great on Mill in Tempe. There is a hip-looking bar as well. I recommend the salmon panini - it was very tasty.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I was in Tempe for our national sales meeting in January and came here for dinner one night with a group of people from work. The service was pretty good considering the size of our group [14 or so]. I had “Mary’s Farm Crispy Skin Rosemary Chicken” and man, it was good! I’ll quote from the menu: “1/2 chicken skin on seared and oven roasted, rosemary roasted Yukon potatoes, caper/white wine/parsley and lemon”. The price was $19.95. Everyone seemed to enjoy their meals and it was a great start to a nice evening. I highly recommend Caffe Boa and if I ever get back to Tempe, I’ll go there again- and, yes, I’ll have the Crispy Skin Rosemary Chicken again!