“A Tempe gem”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Another great reason not to have to drive to Scottsdale or Phoenix.An elegant interior with high ceilings and deep red colored walls. Clearly a family owned operation, with very polite, low key young Thai wait staff in tasteful Asian garb.

I ordered the red curry bowl with coconut milk, chicken and noodles. I went for the mild additional spice, which had a nice kick,but now I am up for a higher level of "hot" next time.
My companion ordered one of the Pad Thai dishes, equally tasty, and for dessert we shared home-made ice cream (really!) on a bed of sweet sticky rice.

The bill, without drinks, was just under thirty dollars.Most entrees ran arout 10-12 dollars.
Great value, great Thai, served in an upscale setting. Not bad for a place in a Tempe strip mall.

If you finish early enough, check out the movies offered at the next-door discount theater.Most are less than a year out from release.

1  Thank t g

Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I are from the Chandler area and have gone to Yupha’s Thai Kitchen several times now for lunch now. We love it and we think it's one of the best without going to Scottsdale. The food is authentic, the atmosphere is good and service is excellent. One of the very few Thai restaurants that have an authentic chili tray. We've tried about every dish on the lunch menu and have not had one bad dish. Now we just have to make time to go for dinner.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I would not dare to make such a claim but Yupha's is the best Thai I have had in the Valley. I've dined twice and was impressed by the quality of the food and the charming service both times. There's something surreal about this place. The dining room decor is designed to really get you into the mood for Thai-Buddhist religious objects, fountains, plants, decorative screens, and relaxing flute music predominate. Servers regularly chat together in Thai and are eager to please.
I had the hot wings app and Pad Gra Prow w/ chicken while companion had the red coconut curry with beef --both lunch specials and both very tasty. Companion loved his iced coffee but I found it too sweet. Both lunches came with a free trip to the salad/soup bar. When I mentioned m peanut allergy to our server, she cautioned me against the peanut dressing and brought me a small cup of blue cheese dressing. Sweet gesture. The salad bar was very limited--carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, iceberg, and a good cilantro-scallions mix but what can you expect? Thai food is not famous for its salads, I don't believe.
The food was hot, fresh, and plentiful. We took home two small boxes full. Tab came to about $25 with tip/each entree was 7.99. Also I just have to mention the tasty Thai roll that came with our lunches. OMG! So good and has Chinese style egg rolls beat, hands down! Next time, I may just order the Thai roll appetizer to go.
The only thing I really don't like about Yupha's is the tables are set so close together I couldn't avoid banging my chair into the man seated behind me. There's really not a lot of space in the dining room.

1  Thank Joeysdoll
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We have been to Yupha's multiple times and are always pleased with the food and the ambience. However, we recently had dinner there and were very disappointed with the service. Thursday night, moderately busy. Took about 10-15 minutes just to get our drinks ordered. When the drinks and food came the staff just stood at the end of the table and asked who had what and had us pass the food to the appropriate place. We elected to pass on dessert because it took so long to get the wait staff back to take our order. I like the place because of the great food, but will think twice about going again!

Reviewed October 16, 2012

A Thai restaurant in a strip mall - in Arizona? We've been to Thailand; we live in Chicago, and figured having Thai food in the desert wouldn't be anywhere close to the taste-quality we can get in either place. Wrong!

This smallish restaurant's decor is sleek and modern. The wait staff is attentive, and the food is quite good. We knew we couldn't go far wrong when we saw a "Reviewed on TripAdvisor" sticker in the window.

We had a party of 6. The sampler plate was all fried foods, but fine for the kids to share. The fried rice was good, with lots of carrots in it. The spicy crab cakes were very flat and not too spicy (somewhat of a disappointment), but the red curry sauce with chicken was on a par with any we've ever eaten. Prices were also on a par with Chicago prices (why did I expect them to be less?).

Would we return? Yes, and we would order more widely from the menu.