“Always a favorite” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Phoenicia Cafe

Phoenicia Cafe
Ranked #126 of 755 Restaurants in Tempe
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Tempe, AZ
“Always a favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

This is one of my favorite places to eat and it never disappoints, pretty crowded on Fridays because of the prayer services but still worth the wait and I love ordering it to go when I've had a long day cause it always makes things better. I used to go more often when I was on campus more and one time I even left in a hurry and was so scatter brained I forgot to pay and I called in a panic when I realized it and they said no problem you can just pay next time we knew it was a mistake you come a lot, made sure I went by the next day and paid(with a big apology tip) but the family who runs the place really are fabulous and always kind- great food and great environment....vegetarian sampler and shwarma salad and lebne are all a must!

• Visited September 2013

Mesa, Arizona
“Great service & food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

I visit Phoenicia Cafe regularly for lunch with coworkers and vendors. The servers are quick and friendly, the food is amazing.
The hummus is velvety smooth and tastes great, whether with pita, gyros meat, or chicken shawarma, it's always a winner. I highly recommend the Shawarma combo platter (if you are hungry enough for a large meal), or the Pita Boats (shawarma, gyro, kafka... you can't go wrong either way). Try the Greek fries with tzatziki and feta...mmmm good.
Gets busy during the school year when ASU is in session, but arrive before 1130 and you should have no problems. Tempe is full of pay parking, but Phoenicia has a free (small) parking lot behind the building for customers only... never seen it full.

• Visited September 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
“Amazing hummus!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

We had a group visiting Arizona State University and asked for a lunch recommendation. The people we were meeting with there recommended Phoenicia Cafe. What a great call! We had the Gyro sandwiches and then shared a couple of orders of hummus. The hummus was easily the best I have ever had. The service was quick, the prices were very reasonable, and the food was awesome.

• Visited April 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
“Salam's Market and Deli is the Siamese Twin of Phoenicia Cafe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

A light perfume of cardamom and other sweet herbs, a vast selection of international sweets, spices and foods, PLUS, most importantly to me on my visit on the hottest day of Spring 2013, liters of cold water made this a place worth entering. I left with water, a half pound of cashews, another half pound of Turkish coffee, date filled cookies and a nicely crafted small necklace for Sweet D. Great, friendly service. A good stop. The Phoenicia Cafe and a men's room were adjacent. Next trip I'll try the Phoenicia and report.

• Visited April 2013
New York
“Excellent Service; Mediocre Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

The servers here were great in how friendly and attentive they were. The baklava was not the best I ever had, but it was pretty tasty and sweet.

For the shwarma platter I got, I was immediately disappointed with the small portions of meat that was more appropriate as an appetizer. I don't know what was wrong with the hummus and their "famous" garlic sauce, but they seemed too strong.

The mango smoothie was more like a creamsicle than anything mango. Guess if you want to have a creamsicle drink, this is the way to go. If you want mango, go to Red Mango on Mill Street which is quite good with its fresh ingredients.

As is the case with most Greek restaurants in the US, most of the items are grossly over-priced to what you would pay in Greece. That said, the gyro platter looked like a good deal.

This place is a decent bakery and has great service, but I'd think twice about getting full meals unless the increase the portions and perhaps trying the rice or couscous instead of hummus.