All reviewsfire pitrooftop poolfull kitchenparking garagesun devil stadiumattached garagelight railwalking distancetop floorminute walkbedroom suiteperfect locationtacorestaurants and barsice makersmall gymheart of downtown
Reviewed November 15, 2017

Stayed here while attending a conference on campus. Location was perfect: far enough away from the action on Mill Street but still within walking distance of several restaurants and, in fact, the campus. Finding the parking lot was difficult, because it was not marked (it is down the alley just south of the hotel), check-in staff were efficient and explained the parking procedure, elevators were rapid, and room was immaculate. So nice to have a sitting room and full kitchen in addition to the bedroom! Breakfast was included in the room price and was hearty. Large lobby area with televisions, tables, and couches means that guests are not jostling one another in tight quarters A small pantry shop next to the check-in desk allows guests to buy a quick snack or microwave meal, including beer and wine. Rooftop pool and fire-pit was empty the evening I used it as I enjoyed a takeout meal, beer, and city lights. Apparently complimentary happy hours take place here on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Checkout was swift. Parking procedure involved simply swiping the blue card given by the check-in staff upon exit; parking fees ($10 per night) were automatically added to the hotel bill.

Stayed: November 2017
Reviewed November 14, 2017

This is a well located hotel close to everything in Tempe and only 6 miles from the airport with a free shuttle povided.The rooms are large and bright and clean with evrything you need for a short stay.

• Stayed: November 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Oldjack
Reviewed November 1, 2017 via mobile

I stayed at the residence Inn for a couple nights on business. I would not hesitate to stay here again. The room was very spacious with a kitchenette, living room area, and a separate bedroom. I had a queen size bed. The bathroom was also spacious and looked to be somewhat recently renovated. The water pressure in the shower was great. The front desk service was great even at midnight which is when I arrived. The only issue was that between midnight and 5 AM there was no hot water on floors 2 through six. They offered me the queen instead of a King on the seventh floor so that I would have hot water. I’m not sure what caused the issue with the water.
Free hot breakfast is served in the mornings was pretty good and a nice perk.
The location is also good - walking distance to restaurants.

Stayed: November 2017, traveled on business
Reviewed October 30, 2017

Marriott Platinum guest. Booked one night for a staycay to watch ASU Football. Received the check-in link from Marriott 8 am the day PRIOR to our arrival. I checked in online and notated a 12 noon arrival.

Upon arrival at Noon, the room was not ready. Denise offered some other rooms that were ready but said the room we had been assigned to was one of the best in the hotel. I said I did not want to move and would wait for the room to be ready. Understanding they cannot guarantee early check in we said we would go have lunch and shop and to call us when the room was ready. I had not heard from them so at 3:10, over 3 hours later, I called and ask for an update. Room still was not ready. I asked how the room cannot be clean yet when I arrived 3 hours prior. Denise gave the canned "4 pm guaranteed check in" speech. I asked if all rooms checking in today would be magically clean and available at 4 pm or if they neglected to notify housekeeping that a Platinum guest was waiting for that room and they should clean it next? I was told I would get a call back when a room was ready. 2 minutes later, received a text that room was available. Then a call from Denise telling me they upgraded me to a one bedroom. Went back to get our keys and had to check in all over again. Apparently my credit card was not swiped the first time and a different front desk agent had to start from scratch. Assigned room 506. So much for a high floor with a balcony and a view. This had no views, no balcony and was a low floor above the bus stops. Despite my saying I did not want to give up the room I was assigned, they moved me to something I did not want and called it an "upgrade." It's amazing to me that the hotel knew 24 hours prior when I would arrive and then had another 3 hours to clean the room but failed to do so. If the room was occupied by another Platinum guest that had a 4 pm checkout, they should have told me that the first time. Otherwise, there is just no reason that the room was not ready at 3 pm. Hence the title, Rookies running the show.

Room itself was not cleaned well. (see photos attached) It smelled like dirty mop in the bathroom. Kitchen cabinet was filthy from something a previous guest splashed on it. Used sponge and half bottle of dish soap under the kitchen sink. Knife was dirty with food caked on. Ice maker was turned off so we had to go to Floor 11 to find some but there was no ice buckets in the rooms so we used plastic cups. Classy!

Went to the pool deck and the door that requires a key for entry was propped open with a wet towel. There was a large group playing cards and having drinks and it seemed that many of them were not guests which is why the door was left open. Never saw staff or security up there so they likely had no idea what went on. I looked closely for cameras as well and did not find a single one. Seems like a huge miss to not have any kind of security for that space.

Did not wake in time for breakfast so cannot speak to the presentation or quality of what is offered. As for other common areas, elevator floors were filthy as were the restrooms in the lobby. One was out of soap as well.

Aside from location, this hotel missed the mark at every turn. These things are easily rectified but it's clearly being mismanaged in several different areas. Having stayed at smaller, older, more remote Residence/Marriott globally, I can say confidently that this property does not meet the Marriott standards. Next time I will stay elsewhere. Oh, and at $335 after taxes for one night, it's more of a kick in the teeth to have had this experience.

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
Todd T, Assistant General Manager at Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2017

Dear Joski69

Thank you for taking the time to give your honest feedback in regards to your recent stay at the Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University.

As we pride ourselves on delivering a memorable hotel experience, I acknowledge that we unfortunately fell short of our goal during your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apology for the several problems that you experienced. I'm personally embarrassed of the many ways in which we failed to provide you with our normal high level of service, especially for a loyal Platinum Rewards Member. I will share your feedback with the appropriate hotel teams to ensure that these were isolated issues that are corrected moving forward. I take your feedback seriously and will certainly use it as a training tool and to make improvements to our hotel so that other guests don't experience the same unfortunate treatment that you did.

Upholding my commitment to providing a memorable experience with exceptional service, I hope to have an opportunity to better your experience with us whenever your travels bring you back to Tempe.

Please contact me directly if you would like to talk about your experience further or the next time that you are planning to return to Tempe.

Todd Tucker
Assistant General Manager
Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University
todd.tucker@marriott.com
480-967-2300

Reviewed October 28, 2017

Located very close to Arizona State University, you can walk to most every kind of shop from restaurants, dry cleaners, bars, gift shops, ice cream parlors, etc. It is a safe area even at night and there are many good places to eat and drink. The hotel has free guest parking located behind the hotel.

I've lived in smaller apartments than the suite we stayed in on our last visit. Clearly, you could stay here for a week or a month and not be wanting anything. Our "room" had a fully equipped kitchen (refrigerator, stove, microwave, dishwasher, glasses, dishes, silverware, cooking utensils, coffee maker), an eating area next to the kitchen with a high table and chairs, a living room with couch and chairs and a big flat screen TV, a desk for your computer and work space, a large bedroom with a king sized bed (very comfortable) and Dresser, as well as a separate bathroom. Just like being at home!

I was also impressed with the friendly and helpful staff who gave us directions when we asked and got us a parking pass for our car. Check in and check out went smoothly...a real A+ experience at every turn. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple