“Good choice but needs a few tweaks”

Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University
Ranked #9 of 53 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We stayed here four nights as part of a spring training mini-vacation. The complementary breakfast was just OK, and just what you would expect from a Residence Inn. It would be nice if its availability could be extended at least a little beyond 9:30 AM on the weekends. Housekeeping was a bit hit or miss; generally good but they sometimes forgot to replace certain items.

My one main complaint is that housekeeping knocked on the door at 8 AM on a Saturday morning, and then entered the 2Bdr suite before quickly retreating when she saw we were there and just waking up (and so were unable to respond quickly enough to the knocking). I happened to mention this at the front desk when I was there for a different reason, and I was smilingly assured that this was standard - housekeeping commences at 8 AM and they therefore routinely knock (and enter) any room at that time (I think the front desk person failed to realize that I was mentioning this as at least a mild criticism).

The biggest plus is the location of this hotel for central Tempe and Mill Ave., but, on the whole, the Mission Palms is a better bet.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Jeff K, General Manager at Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our great new hotel. As a brand new property we, very much, take comments to heart. I appreciate you letting us know about housekeeping service. I have talked to our housekeeping department and asked them to find other (vacant) rooms to work on until a later time. I also appreciate your comments about the front desk service opportunities and I have spoken with them to ensure we are doing our best to understand and react to our guest needs.
We look forward to your next visit to Tempe!
~Jeff

Reviewed March 11, 2014

We stayed at the Residence Inn while in town for a football game at Sun Devil Stadium. The location could not be more perfect. The stadium is literally steps away from the hotel. After the game, we were back in our room in minutes, watching the traffic all around us as people left the stadium. The hotel is new and very nice. The pool is on the roof with a great view of the city and landscape. The fitness center is well-equipped. Our room was very comfortable with a kitchen. The morning hot breakfast and evening reception was above average. There is parking available in the attached garage. There is also a stop for the train right across the street if you don't rent a car. This is by far the closest and best place to stay if you're in town for a football game or other event at Sun Devil Stadium! We were also pleasantly surprised by the cost - very reasonable, in my opinion.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
PHXTD, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2014

Thank you so much for staying at our property! Being as close as we are to the stadium definitely has it's benefits all the way around. It's always fun watching the fireworks from the roof top pool. The hotel is so close you can actually feel the heat and hear the game when you're outside.
Thank you again for choosing the new Residence Inn Tempe Downtown! We will see you again soon!

Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night here with friends for a bday party. There is a pool and fire pit on the roof. Great place to watch the sun set. The front staff were great. We stayed in the two queen suite. It also had a kitchenette and a pull out couch with two TVs. Highly recommend this place. The breakfast was also great. Much more than a continental breakfast. I scored it four stars because the parking garage is set up weird. There isn't any access to the garage from individual floors. You have to go down to the first level every time to get to a certain level in the garage. It was a weird set up but not anything that should keep anyone from staying here.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Nicole H, Sales Coordinator at Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Thank you for staying with us! We are glad you were able to enjoy the pool and fire pit on the roof, it is an amazing place to relax and the views are great especially at sun set.

I will share your staff comment with our associates, we have a great team here and they appreciate any feedback!

We hope to see you again soon in Tempe!

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Sort of the new millenium version of Residence Inn. Rooms have a more modern feel than some older ones. Great location, shuttle to the airport, convenient parking and lots of restaurants nearby. Try Bostons restaurant. If you don't like noise ask for a room at the opposite side of the hotel from the mountain. The mountain side is the glide path for Sky Tower airport Great if you like to see flying planes close-up. From the pool, a very cool one, you can wave at the passengers on the planes. Great place to watch the sunset. The usual free breakfast. We we're there on a Sunday night and the place was quiet. I suspect that it can be very busy during U of A events and you might run into a party crowd. That equals NOISE. We'll be back.

Room Tip: See quiet comment above.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review and we are glad you had the chance to stay with us! We are very lucky to be in such an amazing location in the heart of downtown Tempe. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our suites and the rooftop pool as well.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed here recently and were very impressed with the location, friendly staff and room accommodations.
Great place for walking and sight seeing.
The rooms are well decorated in the more European Style which we like.
The staff was very professional and friendly.

Room Tip: We were on the 8th Floor and for future reservations we have requested 8 or above as the views, espe...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review! We are lucky to be in such a great location within walking distance to multiple attractions and activities in Tempe.

We will share your great feedback with our associates as well.

Thank you for staying with us again and we hope you can come back and visit us soon!

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Yes, great location, new and beautifully decorated. However, uncomfortably warm in the room. We were assigned a top floor room across from the gym. Noticed right away that the room was very warm, turned on the air conditioner, and went to dinner. Came back and it had not cooled down. Opened the windows the few inches they allow, probably for security reasons. Too warm to sleep. Called the front desk at 2:00 a.m. Got an apology and an offer to have engineering stop by the room first thing in the morning. Now, since I'm up at 2:00 a.m. dealing with the lack of ventilation, and ready to head back on the road at 8:00 p.m., does it do me any good? Seemed to me they are simply cutting costs by regulating the air conditioning at my expense. The reason I checked in to the hotel was to sleep, not to lay there and sweat all night. To add insult, they didn't even comp me for the parking. I would recommend you check in at some other place instead.

Room Tip: check the a/c works properly
4  Thank Carmen W
Nick S, Manager at Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

I wanted to personally thank you for staying with us. I too believe our hotel is in a great location and beautifully decorated; however, we are committed to providing more than just a new and lovely hotel, and I’m very sorry to hear about your troubles during your stay. It is our goal to make every guest as comfortable as possible, and I know how frustrating it is when you can’t sleep. Moving forward, we will test the air-conditioner in every room, because we want to ensure everything is working properly. I’m also concerned about the response you received to your problem. I completely agree that the solution we provided was not ideal. We have discussed alternative solutions with the front desk, because everyone deserves a comfortable night sleep. Again, I’m extremely sorry about your experience, and I thank you for your candid feedback. Your comments will help us prevent this problem from occurring again. I hope you will stay with us in the future, so we can provide you with the service you expect and deserve.

Nicholas Schulte (Operations Manager)

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Dear Jeff (gm), my husband is currently there on business and I just wanted to let you know how awesome David at the front desk is. He took a few minutes of his time to figure out a local place and left to go pick up some cupcakes to surprise my husband staying there. Now that is going above and beyond! My husband is enjoying his stay. thank you so much

Stayed: January 2014
Kari K, Assistant General Manager at Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Good Morning!

Thank you so much for writing such a wonderful review! We really appreciate the feedback.
I am so delighted to hear that David went out of his way to find a great cupcake place for you! David is amazing associate and I know he will be very pleased when we share your review with him.

We hope to see you again soon here in Tempe!

Thank you!