“Great place and service!”

Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University
Ranked #8 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Great place and service!”
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night here with friends for a bday party. There is a pool and fire pit on the roof. Great place to watch the sun set. The front staff were great. We stayed in the two queen suite. It also had a kitchenette and a pull out couch with two TVs. Highly recommend this place. The breakfast was also great. Much more than a continental breakfast. I scored it four stars because the parking garage is set up weird. There isn't any access to the garage from individual floors. You have to go down to the first level every time to get to a certain level in the garage. It was a weird set up but not anything that should keep anyone from staying here.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Nicole H, Sales Coordinator at Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for staying with us! We are glad you were able to enjoy the pool and fire pit on the roof, it is an amazing place to relax and the views are great especially at sun set.

I will share your staff comment with our associates, we have a great team here and they appreciate any feedback!

We hope to see you again soon in Tempe!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Falmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Sort of the new millenium version of Residence Inn. Rooms have a more modern feel than some older ones. Great location, shuttle to the airport, convenient parking and lots of restaurants nearby. Try Bostons restaurant. If you don't like noise ask for a room at the opposite side of the hotel from the mountain. The mountain side is the glide path for Sky Tower airport Great if you like to see flying planes close-up. From the pool, a very cool one, you can wave at the passengers on the planes. Great place to watch the sunset. The usual free breakfast. We we're there on a Sunday night and the place was quiet. I suspect that it can be very busy during U of A events and you might run into a party crowd. That equals NOISE. We'll be back.

Room Tip: See quiet comment above.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and we are glad you had the chance to stay with us! We are very lucky to be in such an amazing location in the heart of downtown Tempe. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our suites and the rooftop pool as well.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Arizona
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed here recently and were very impressed with the location, friendly staff and room accommodations.
Great place for walking and sight seeing.
The rooms are well decorated in the more European Style which we like.
The staff was very professional and friendly.

Room Tip: We were on the 8th Floor and for future reservations we have requested 8 or above as the views, espe...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review! We are lucky to be in such a great location within walking distance to multiple attractions and activities in Tempe.

We will share your great feedback with our associates as well.

Thank you for staying with us again and we hope you can come back and visit us soon!
Chula Vista, California
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Yes, great location, new and beautifully decorated. However, uncomfortably warm in the room. We were assigned a top floor room across from the gym. Noticed right away that the room was very warm, turned on the air conditioner, and went to dinner. Came back and it had not cooled down. Opened the windows the few inches they allow, probably for security reasons. Too warm to sleep. Called the front desk at 2:00 a.m. Got an apology and an offer to have engineering stop by the room first thing in the morning. Now, since I'm up at 2:00 a.m. dealing with the lack of ventilation, and ready to head back on the road at 8:00 p.m., does it do me any good? Seemed to me they are simply cutting costs by regulating the air conditioning at my expense. The reason I checked in to the hotel was to sleep, not to lay there and sweat all night. To add insult, they didn't even comp me for the parking. I would recommend you check in at some other place instead.

Room Tip: check the a/c works properly
4 Thank Carmen W
Nick S, Manager at Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
I wanted to personally thank you for staying with us. I too believe our hotel is in a great location and beautifully decorated; however, we are committed to providing more than just a new and lovely hotel, and I’m very sorry to hear about your troubles during your stay. It is our goal to make every guest as comfortable as possible, and I know how frustrating it is when you can’t sleep. Moving forward, we will test the air-conditioner in every room, because we want to ensure everything is working properly. I’m also concerned about the response you received to your problem. I completely agree that the solution we provided was not ideal. We have discussed alternative solutions with the front desk, because everyone deserves a comfortable night sleep. Again, I’m extremely sorry about your experience, and I thank you for your candid feedback. Your comments will help us prevent this problem from occurring again. I hope you will stay with us in the future, so we can provide you with the service you expect and deserve.

Nicholas Schulte (Operations Manager)
Castle Rock, Colorado
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Dear Jeff (gm), my husband is currently there on business and I just wanted to let you know how awesome David at the front desk is. He took a few minutes of his time to figure out a local place and left to go pick up some cupcakes to surprise my husband staying there. Now that is going above and beyond! My husband is enjoying his stay. thank you so much

Stayed January 2014
Kari K, Assistant General Manager at Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Good Morning!

Thank you so much for writing such a wonderful review! We really appreciate the feedback.
I am so delighted to hear that David went out of his way to find a great cupcake place for you! David is amazing associate and I know he will be very pleased when we share your review with him.

We hope to see you again soon here in Tempe!

Thank you!
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I LOVED this Residence Inn. It's brand new. Once I had the address, I went on Google Earth to see what it looks like, but at the time Google took the picture it was just a dirt lot next to a parking garage. I thought that that's a pretty small lot for a Residence Inn. When I arrived for my stay, I saw that Marriott had built straight up 11 stories. What a great job with the architecture.
Usually I find that Residence Inns only offer one bed and then the sofa can be pulled out into another. But this R.I., had rooms with 2 queen beds! That is why I chose to stay here. Normally if we have the whole family we don't chose a R.I. because there aren't two comfortable beds. Well the view from the room was very nice to the west. The new decor was terrific! I really like the back lighting of the bathroom mirror, the dimmer lighting above both beds, the movable pinpoint reading lights attached to the headboard, the dark wood kitchen cabinets with opaque glass fronts, the little movable table that serves as a TV tray on the couch. These were all things I noticed and appreciated.
I was most impressed with the top floor. Outside on the large patio were the swimming pool, whirlpool and big fire pit surrounded by comfortable, cushioned patio sofas. The views of my hometown, Tempe, were beautiful to me! The fire was large and inviting on the cold night. Truly a perfect Residence Inn.

Room Tip: This is one of the only Residence Inns that I have found to offer rooms with 2 queen beds.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank MsFire
PHXTD, Assistant General Manager at Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Hello! Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write such an amazing review about your experience. We are delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy the views of your hometown while staying with us.....It is a sight to see when you on the roof!

We hope to see you again soon!

Thank you!

Kari
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Wow.
I travel often and MArriott is my favorite chain. Had a meting at ASU and Buttes had no availability so I stayed here.
It looked like a boutique hotel- not Residence Inn. Nice lobby. Rooms have Akea like kitchen with stainless steel appliances.
11 Flour has spa with view of PHX.
Hotel is walking distance to ASU campus, A mountain and Mill road.
Great stay

Room Tip: Get high floor room
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank galedd
Thank you for your great review! We are very honored to be the best Residence Inn you have stayed at! As you stated, our location is within walking distance to ASU and Mill Avenue and we are thrilled to be in this location.

Thank you for staying with us, we look forward to hosting you on your next stay in the area!

Kari