“A very good value for the 3 weeks I stayed there from Mar.4-25/14”

Suburban Extended Stay Hotel
Winnipeg, Canada
“A very good value for the 3 weeks I stayed there from Mar.4-25/14”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

I have previously stayed there so I knew what to expect. No problem getting confirmation in advance and suite was ready upon my arrival. Good size LR and Kitchen-Full size refrigerator, micro wave, Toaster and Fry pan. Room was clean--Cleaned once per week, but clean towels were available for pick up. There were several people I knew from previous years, who attended Cactus Leaque games. Pool and surrounding area was adequate. Hot tub temperature was a little cool. Generally speaking it was quiet. Staff were adequate, especially Misty, the GM at front desk during Day. I did not try breakfast at restaurant. I plan on returning in March/15

Room Tip: If you are coming in March, book by December. Make sure you check your suite for kitchen utensils...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
San Jose, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

In November 2013, we reserved 2 rooms (4 people), for 8 nights, in March 2014 at the Suburban Extended Stay, 1635 North Scottsdale Road, Tempe, AZ.

We chose that hotel because according to its advertising,
“In addition to standard amenities, all guest rooms feature well-equipped kitchens that include microwaves, refrigerators, two-burner cooktops, coffee makers, cooking utensils, cookware and dishes. Nearby Scottsdale Stadium hosts the MLB San Francisco Giants each year for Cactus League Spring Training baseball games”. The purpose of our trip was to attend Giants games everyday at Scottsdale Stadium, and because we were staying for over a week, we wanted to be able to prepare our meals – so the Suburban Extended Stay sounded perfect!

A few weeks before our March 15 reservation, we called to confirm everything. We live in California, so we were driving to Tempe on March 15. At 5:30 pm (2 ½ hours past check in time),
we were still about 150 miles from Tempe, we received a phone call from the hotel stating that the hotel was oversold and we were being moved to Comfort Inn, 2641 North Union Hills Road, North Phoenix!

When we arrive at the Comfort Inn, we discovered that the hotel does not have equipped kitchens, and it is 28 miles from the Scottsdale Stadium. In fact one room did not have a refrigerator or microwave. We explained our situation, and the front desk person sent a small refrigerator to the room and said she would try to locate a microwave. The rooms we booked at Suburban Extended Stay had full sized refrigerators, so we brought food accordingly.

Not only didn’t the food fit, but also the one refrigerator never got cold enough to safely keep anything except water. A microwave was sent to the second room a few days later, but it sparked when used. There was no ice available for three days on either the first floor or second floor – the machines were broken. TV’s in both rooms would undulate in sound constantly. One room had no alarm clock; one room had a dresser drawer missing.

The first floor of the hotel and at least one of the rooms located there reeked of smoke and the perfumed product trying to cover it up! The rooms were not clean. One of us took pictures and presented them to the front desk to request cleaning. No daily newspapers as advertised; no restaurant/bar as the sign outside says.

After driving 14 hours and finding ourselves in this situation, we wanted at the very least to speak to someone who could explain why this was happening. We were told that both properties are owned by the same person – Jay Olson – a tall, white-haired, Indian man. We never saw such a person in 8 days, but in doing some research, I discovered that Hospitality Helpers, owned by Jean Olson, does the marketing for both properties.

On Monday, March 17, I went to the front desk to check on the status of a microwave to be delivered. When I explained my circumstances to the front desk employee, she said, “What happened over there (Suburban Extended Stay)? I have heard other guests complaining of the same thing!”

This is not the hotel we booked months in advance. We specifically booked this hotel based on its location and kitchen facilities. The additional expenses that we incurred happened because the hotel arbitrarily sent us to another hotel. Since we reserved the original rooms 4 months in advance, I have to believe that we were moved to a hotel that does not fill up because they sold our rooms at the last minute for top dollar!

So, I feel that we should be refunded for the rooms, and reimbursed for the cost of our meals & the difference in gasoline.
The amount charged for the rooms was about $700; the cost of having to eat two meals a day out for 4 people was about $1,125;
The difference in gasoline expenses (as calculated by MapQuest)
From having to drive 66 miles a day instead of the 6 miles round trip that we planned on is about $67. A grand total refund/reimbursement of about $1900.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank karen h

Travelers are raving about these Tempe hotels

Cheney, Wa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

Decent place. I liked the set up, with the centrally located pool. It's an older facility, but it is very well maintained. The staff weren't the friendliest bunch, but I'm never looking for rose petals thrown at my feet when I stay at places like this. The folks who we're vacationing there were very friendly and that's really all that mattered to me. And there were quite the cross-section of travelers: seniors, spring training fans, golfers, families, and everyone was having a good time. I love this particular area of the metro for it's central location and good dining options, so if this place was available next year, I would certainly stay again...

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Loveland, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Staying here is kinda what I expected. The property is older but not dirty. The carpet in my room was a little stained and rough in edges, the couch was stained and there are some dirty spots on the walls. But, the counter top in the restroom and the surround in the tub are stone and newer, the pool and hot tub are nice and the workout room equipment all works. Not sure how good of a deal the "all you can eat" breakfast is for $3.50. Sounds good but since the room has a full fridge and stove, it's cheeper, if your staying so more than 3 days, to buy breakfast foods and cook them yourself. Plus, you know it's fresh and you know how it was prepared. Would give better marks if property recieved updates like flat screen tvs, new carpet and furniture.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank James7979
Tempe, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

My husband and I are enjoying the time of our life right here at the. Quality Inn suites in Tempe, AZ. Not only is it perfect for us but would be a perfect place for family. Not only was our suite perfect but so is the housekeeping services. The pool and hot tub are perfect and surrounding are very beautiful. We are looking forward to enjoying two months next year.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
SW USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I consider our night here as punishment for having booked last minute in Phoenix's 'High Season'. We were unpleasantly surprised by the odors of mold, smoke and 'old' when we opened the door. Although this was considered a non smoking room, the bed smelled of smoke as we turned in bed. A window above the bed was taped over with packing material and covered with a curtain, creepy.

As we are an unexceptional 55+ couple I was alarmed to note several younger men hanging around' actually stopped to stare at us as we got out of our car to check in. I suspect this is not a good place to stay for a woman alone.

We decided to put up with it for one night and were rewarded with a live cockroach on his back (still kicking) in the bathroom when we returned from dinner.

They have a Breakfast for $3.50 which was staffed by possibly the nastiest most belligerent, non english speaking person I have ever seen. She demanded payment immediately, but did not even have $.50 change available. The eggs & sausage trays were clean and EMPTY an hour after the declared opening time. Only after another couple came in did she go to the back to cook the eggs. There was a waffle machine, however the waffle batter pitcher was down to it's last quarter inch. This was a disaster start to finish. If for some unknown reason you do end up staying here, save your money and go to Mac Donalds.

My advice...book early, not last minute.....and NOT HERE!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank SWGoodSam
El Cerrito, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

We spend 5 nights at the Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, which is attached to the Quality Inn Suites. We got really good value for this hotel. Our room or really suite, had a very comfortable living room with couch and easy chair, TV and full kitchenette, and desk/lamp setup. The bedroom was separated by a walkin closet and sink had another TV and 2 full sized beds. Bath was standard but good hot shower. Biggest problem were the single paned windows that were loose and created quite a bit of noise one evening when the wind was up. There was quite a draft that came through as well. This should be fixed if they decide to ever remodel. Breakfast was a very good value at 3.50, but mostly just the basics. Pool and hot tub looked really clean. It was very quiet at night. Except for the noisy, loose window it was perfect for us.

Room Tip: Check out the windows - make sure they are solidly in their casements.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank lfodea
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tempe
3 Palms Hotel
#34 of 75 in Scottsdale
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,490 reviews
Downtown Scottsdale
Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Scottsdale - Old Town

Been to Suburban Extended Stay Hotel? Share your experiences!