“Dirty Dirty place”

Studio 6 Phoenix - Tempe
Ranked #39 of 53 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed January 23, 2009

While the hotel was not old the walls and floors to this place were filthy. How the place had hairballs on the bathroom floor makes me suspect the place is never cleaned well and the walls, oh my.

My reservation was for a non smoking room and all they had left was a terrible smelling filthy room. I had to plug a hole in the wall above the kitchen cabnets with toothpaste because it looked like a mini camera could have been in it before.

There are lots of nicer hotels close to this location so I would stay away.

I make lots of trips to Phoenix/Tempe and will NEVER stay at this place again.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank Asicsmaloy

Reviewed September 28, 2008

The clientele there were scary. I didn't have any real problems, except for a constant feeling of being unsafe or in potential danger. If someone wanted to mug a guest there, there would be ample chance to do so. There are long-term renters there. People loitering in the parking lot day and night. The security guard, or so he said he was, though polite, loiters with the loiterers. I saw a "guest" sitting in his room with his door wide open, he was just staring out the door; there was a woman talking loudly on her cell phone outside,walking back and forth outside of my room, for what seemed like hours, about her clients' personal matters; others loitering in the parking lot in clothing that I would consider unfit in public; someone sitting in the stairwell outside of my room talking on his cell phone. The quarters are tight, so if he wanted to just jump a guest, he could have. I set a snack of bread near the door *inside of my room* so that I'd remember to bring it in the morning, and the next morning, it was infested with ants that came into the room from outside.

There is no hair dryer there.

I asked for directions from the desk clerk and she could not be bothered to tell me which way on I-10 to go (she said she didn't know - which way on I-10, and hurried through her explanation) to get to a store so I could be a cell phone for safety. Her lack of directions led me to get lost in a not so good part of town nearby, with the roads flooding on the side. I consider myself lucky to have gotten through that safely. It was a harrowing experience. Couldn't the clerk have bothered to tell me which areas to stay away from? It would be nice if the manager trained staff to care about the safety of its guests.

In defense of the motel, overall the staff seemed alright, it is the clientele and the loitering in the parking lot; people in the stairwells, talking on their cell phone, all of the activity that takes place outside of the hotel rooms, on the property - parking lot, stairwells, grounds - that is scary. And, like another guest's comments, it did sound as if the people upstairs were playing football at night, lots of loud bodyslam type noises (no screams, thankfully) on the floor.

Go for a pricier efficiency suite option in Chandler that is situated firmly in the East Valley. Then, you will feel safer. It was not worth the money I saved, I lost that in peace of mind, and a somewhat harrowing instance getting lost in a nearby undesireable neighborhood at night, with the roads starting to flood, partly because the front desk clerk could not be bothered to take the time to slowly give me proper directions, nor to warn me of areas nearby to stay out of. I didn't get a sense that the staff was concerned about my safety. It was not fun. Go for a higher priced facility and get peace of mind.

• Stayed: September 2008
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank anewist
Reviewed January 7, 2008

It was very clean but we had some issues. WE had people over us who sounded like they were playing foootball all night as well as they had a diesel truck parked right up to our window which didnt start for over a hour at 6am. We complained and it took 3 days for them to kick them out.
I would stay again probably. It was quiet enough at night even New years eve. wE stayed 11 days but they really had a odd clientel and everyone had dogs

Stayed: January 2008
2  Thank dlwt2007
Reviewed July 12, 2006

I was disappointed overall with the studio 6. Although cheaper than other options in the area it still feals overpriced compared to what you get. The room I stayed in was extemely small and also smelled like a mixture of smoke and fabreeze despite being a non-smoking room. The location is pretty good, however I'm not sure I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank tigerfan3
Reviewed May 3, 2006

Unlike the above reviews - which I wish I had seen before hubby booked us a 5 day stay here. We checked out after 2 days, which was 2 nights longer than I was happy. First, we booked what we thought was a large room with an area to entertain guests - got a small room and had them change it. 2nd room might have been 3 or 4 inches larger. There was a "tenant" who parked his car at our door and revved the engine repeatedly - this vehicle had straight-pipes - what a nice wake-up in the middle of the night. The pool WAS completed - IF you call a double bathtub a pool - but it was not working The pool was no bigger than 5'x5'x5' triangle. Then the brochure said they would not nickle and dime us - but there was a charge for additional coffee packs and there was nothing with which to wash dishes - so did the previous tenants wash them or just put them in the closet? The room had a strong smell of disinfectant spray and the neighbors seemed more like long-term renters than tourists. Definitely not a place I will ever stay again, obviously since we checked out 3 days early. If you're a single female, this is not the place for you. Someone let the air out of 1 of our rental car tires the 2nd night either here or at the Denny's next door - and we found huge dirty handprints on the trunk as if someone had been trying to break in. That was AFTER we'd decided to leave. Motel6, turn the light off - we're not coming.

• Stayed: May 2006
7  Thank Nanarie
Reviewed January 3, 2006

The room was clean, but quite small. The bed was not very comfortable, and the pillows were VERY thin. I asked for a couple more, but never received them. Front desk clerk said he would check but might not have any available because they were busy, and that he would call me back. Never heard from him again. We only saw a few cars in the parking lot at all times... where was everyone if they were "that" busy? We were disappointed with that, but otherwise it was a decent place to stay. It's close to a lot of things - ASU campus, a very LARGE shopping mall, lots of restaurants, etc. Also close to a couple of grocery stores... with a kitchen in every room, they came in quite handy! Just a side note if you're planning on cooking in your room... take along or purchase some paper towels or napkins - the rooms do not have any!

• Stayed: December 2005
6  Thank pippercat
Reviewed December 17, 2004

Great option for either a longer 3 day weekend or a week's stay for busniess or maybe for Spring training baseball. All their rooms were completely redone in August and they will have a heated outdoor pool available in late January. Micro's, fridge, plenty of closet and storage space and conviently located only 1/2 mile from large indoor AZ Mills shopping Mall. Easy walk to many good restaurants and just 2 miles from the Angels training site at Diablo Stadium, Quiet area with a friendly and knowledgeable staff. Clean well kept property for a very reasonable price.

14  Thank DaveNTempe