“Don't believe the staff!!! Terrible Shuttle Service!!”

Baymont Inn & Suites Tempe Phoenix Airport
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Austin, TX
“Don't believe the staff!!! Terrible Shuttle Service!!”
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I had a business meeting in Phoenix earlier that day and planned to stay in the Country Inn near the airport that night so I could rest up for an early morning flight the next day. I was looking forward to my stay because I had used, enjoyed Country Inns in other cities.

Country Inn-Phoenix Airport staff REPEATEDLY assured me via phone when I made the reservation that they offered free courtesy van pickup from, and dropoff at the airport, from early AM til late at night, so I decided to return my rental car and rely on the shuttle to take me to the hotel. BIG MISTAKE!!

When the time came, I returned my rental car to the airport around noon (weekday) and REPEATEDLY tried to call the hotel to request a courtesy van pick up. Every time I dialed the number, the phone would ring and ring, then the call would abruptly end as if a block had been placed on the phone number or someone picked up, then quickly hung up the phone. After nearly an HOUR of unsuccessfully trying to reach them on two different cell phones, I called other hotels for other options. They were either completely full or considerably more expensive. Finally disgusted with the entire experience--not to mention the Phoenix airport, which is an exercise in navigation confusion and chaos hell, I was lucky enough to book an earlier flight out of Phoenix that same afternoon.

Bottom line: Country Inns-Phoenix Airport LIE about courtesy shuttle availability. Their limited staff are either lazy or overwhelmed at checkout time and lack the simple decency to let their guests know that the shuttle is NOT available upon request. Instead, they just passively-aggressively avoid airport calls for service by hanging up or blocking their phones.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank marieTX

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Arizona
Reviewed April 8, 2010

I absolutely loved this hotel. I would even go as far as saying its the best hotel i've ever stayed it. The location was perfect, right of the freeway and super easy to get to. And it was also close to gas stations, grocery stores, outdoor malls (tempe marketplace) and a zoo! I can't say enough about the location because everything was so close it made going anywhere a breeze! The hotel itself was just the best. Free breakfast was good and the pool even though it wasn't the biggest, was great. Traveling with all girls, i always want to make sure that a hotel (and the surrounding areas) is safe. And it was!! I could talk about this hotel forever. I loved it, my family loved it. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Good prices too! If u want a clean, safe, wonderfully located hotel, this is for you!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Marina, California
Reviewed January 30, 2010

I had planned a semi-romantic weekend getaway from Tucson just to get out of town, stay in a hotel and have a good time in Phoenix. What I received was treatment like a criminal, stranded without a hotel room, and a $25 charge for spending 15 minutes in a room.
I had purchased a gift certificate through a long-time friend after she had mentioned that she needed the money to finance another trip, and couldn't use the certificate as it was only valid for December and January. We exchanged money, I received a certificate number from her, exchanged several emails with one of the Country Inn staff a month or so prior to the trip and, on the day, headed up.
We were checked in fairly swiftly. When asked about the gift certificate, I explained the situation briefly to the agent, but we were given keys and walked in. Fifteen minutes later, I received a call from the manager, stating that I had to present a paper copy of that certificate to them or I would be charged for the room for that night. I tried to explain the situation again, and that I thought I had cleared everything with their staff, but was met with the attitude that there was no other way around this.
That attitude sort of melded into the repeating theme of "that's not our responsibility." Particularly with the fact that, apparently, the friend who sold me the certificate did not complete some piece of the process, but the staff member who I had contacted and had said, literally, "that's all I need" with regards to a credit card number and names for the room, failed to contact me to notify that the process had not been completed, so I was left unaware of the whole situation until I arrived there.
At this point, someone may ask, why was I checked in in the first place if I didn't have the necessary documents/certificates to pay for the reservation. When I asked about this, that's when the threats started. First there was the threat of charging my card for the full amount of the room cost for that night because we had "used" (i.e. - sat on the bed and used the bathroom) the room, it could not be rented for the night, and it was past the cancellation deadline. When I persisted with the question, then there was the threat of calling the police which, personally, I thought was completely irrational and uncalled for, considering this was supposed to be a manager of a reputable hotel, and I was far from irate or even raising my voice. I mean, I've stayed in some awful motels where I would have expected this, but not here. I think part of it may have been related to my appearance, since I wasn't particularly dressed up, and the manager made a specific reference to "you're a grown man" and that I had to take responsibility for this. Like I said, it was a lot of dodging speak for "it's not our problem."
I realized, at that point, that there was no reasoning with the manager on this, and that I would just have to accept the $25 fee that they wanted to charge. The manager claimed that she was giving me a break by not charging me the full amount for the room that night, then claimed that it was actually supposed to be $35, but, again, I was catching a break.
By that point, my girlfriend had started crying, and I knew that we just had to get out of there. We drove off, found some wifi at a place on Mill, and booked a much better hotel for about half the price that this place was charging. The whole experience really put a damper on the trip and, had we had come from out of town, I don't know that we could have handled being stranded as well as we were.
Bottom line: stay away from this place.
As far as the hotel itself: here are my impressions though. It was fairly hard to access, as the traffic on Scottsdale Road backed up from the 202 freeway, and you had to rely on the kindness of other motorists waiting in line to get in and get out of the hotel parking lot. The room was laid out strangely, with two separate areas for both the bed and a couch. The bed area was, to say the least, small, and wouldn't be particularly comfortable to stay in. There was a microwave, but it looked like it was at least ten years old. The mini-fridge was the smallest possible model.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank colinaz
bgoss, manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Tempe Phoenix Airport, responded to this review, February 1, 2010
I would like to apologize for the issues that you had at our property over the weekend, but I assure you that these issues were merely misunderstandings.
Our hotel's policy on gift certificates is that the person using the certificate must either a) have it with them at check-in, or b) have it sent in to hotel mgmt ahead of time. In this case neither had occurred and the front desk supervisor noticed the desk agent's mistake and called up to your room to inform you of the policy.
I apologize if this was not clearer to you beforehand, as we certainly didn't intend to put a damper on your weekend getaway. Our staff is trained to treat all guests with respect and courtesy and I regret that your didn't interpret their actions and speech in this way. I would be happy to refund your "cleaning fee" and would love for you to give us a chance to win back your business. Please contact us directly and we will do our best to rectify the situation.

Thanks,
Hotel Management
nebraska
Reviewed December 14, 2009

This is my second stay here and I love it again. Joni at the front desk is fantastic, answering questions, friendly and smiling greeting, remembering the guest as they come and go, and going above and beyond. I also met the General Manager, Shelly, who was most gracious and very nice and grateful for my staying here. Shopping and restaurants are only minutes away, free shuttle to the airport and I was able to leave my car here overnight, secure and safe.

Thank you Joni and Shelly!!!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Harpenden, UK
Reviewed November 28, 2009

Despite it's name, the hotel is quite a long way from the airport. It does not have a phone link from the hotels board in the baggage reclaim hall, and so we had to get a taxi. The driver didn't know where it was. So if anyone wants to stay at a hotel convenient for the airport I would suggest they stay somewhere else.

Having said that, the hotel was fine. The room was good, the breakfast what you expect. In the morning, a friendly Filipino girl ran me back to the airport so I could pick up my hire car,

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed January 7, 2009

One of the biggest complaints you'll hear about this hotel is the airplane noise as it is right in the take off and landing path of the phoenix airport. Truth is, once inside the hotel we hardly heard anything. Yeah, in the absolute quiet of the night you'll hear outside noise. If you've stayed in any hotel in New York City, you can handle this.

We booked this as a stay for a football game. Yes, the ASU stadium is within walking distance and you can feel safe walking to/from the stadium.

it's right off the interstate so it's convenient that way. There is a Starbucks in one direction about a block away and Quizno's the other direction.

The neighborhood is perfectly fine to walk around in the daytime and probably at night.

I used points to get a discounted rate and got exactly what I paid for. A bed with what appeared to be clean sheets, a pillow and a tv that worked. The room also had a refrigerator.

If you're looking for a diamond in the rough, this ain't it. This is a Country Inn & Suites and comparable with a Days Inn, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn or Best Western. If you're looking for a Hilton, try the Hilton.

My only complaint about this place is that it is 2 miles away from the airport and the shuttle took a little over an hour to come and get me. The HSI connection was broken in our room and it worked the first 2 days but we couldn't get a connection the morning we were ready to leave. The lobby has a computer though. If you're looking for more than a cup of coffee and toast or cereal out of the breakfast bar, you'll be dissapointed. But, that was good enough for me.

It's not that hard to get around if you have your own car. We didn't have one and were perfectly content to hang out in our room when we weren't at the game.

The staff was friendly but they don't really go out of their way to do anything for you. But then again, I wasn't paying for turndown service and a chocolate on the pillow. Check in/out was fine.

• Liked — Promximity to ASU stadium
  • Disliked — Shuttle doesn't run for early AM flights
  • Stayed September 2008
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tempe
Hampton Inn & Suites Phoenix / Tempe
Best Western Inn Of Tempe
Hampton Inn Phoenix-Biltmore
Red Lion Inn & Suites Phoenix-Tempe
Tempe Mission Palms Hotel and Conference Center
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mesa

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Tempe Phoenix Airport? Share your experiences!