“Second trip, not the same experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Baymont Inn & Suites Tempe Phoenix Airport
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Jacksonville, FL
“Second trip, not the same experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2011

Overall, this place is still a good value. Geographically, it is in the middle of everything east of Phoenix. Very close to the airport and Scottsdale and less than a mile from the ASU campus. It is right next to the 202 and one mile from the 101 so you can get anywhere in a hurry. Having breakfast included is a good deal and grabbing a cookie each night is nice as well. Here's the downside: the hotel is being remodeled and the workers are staying there as well. There is no work being done on the weekends but the workers are still in the hotel. Unfortunately, we were placed directly across the hall from them. They are not quiet, they go in and out of their rooms slamming the doors several times an hour, and they have no problems yelling and screaming ALL THE TIME. One of the things that was forgotten during the remodel was to place the strip across the bottom of the door. If you are in the hallway, you can hear everything that is being said in the rooms.....but that also means anyone in the rooms can hear everything that is being said in the hallway. If you are near these workers, don't plan on getting any silence. There is one plus in the suites: there is a thick glass door that separates the front room from the bedroom and that usually buffers the noise from the hallway (but what good is that if you are paying the upgrade price?). Also, to use the wireless internet, you have to be in the front room if you are staying in a suite that is near the ends of the hallway. The connection does not work in the bedroom. Several super soft pillows but the bed is on the medium side for firmness. The suites had a mini-refrigerator and a microwave. There is a small fitness room that has one treadmill. The nautilus machine is in sketchy condition and you could get injured using it. There is an outdoor pool and an outdoor jacuzzi. Both were heated but no one seemed to be using them. There is an internet computer in the front lobby for brief uses.

Room Tip: if you need the wireless internet, ask for a room closer to the elevators. The southern rooms face...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Birmingham, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2011

I opted to stay here as it was convenient for the airport and within easy reach of lots of restaurants and shops. It's across the bridge the other side of Tempe Town Lake to ASU stadium (in case you're planning to watch the Sun Devils play). Sky Harbour is only a couple of miles or so away, as the crow flies.

I was put in a newly refurbished room on the 4th floor and was impressed with the remodel. Sure (especially on the top floor as I was) I could hear the planes overhead but they didn't disturb me in the slightest.

The staff were very helpful and friendly. The inclusive breakfast was not half bad. I know it was mid-November but I thought at $66 for the night it was a real steal!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2011

Let's be honest. All the hotels in the Sky Harbor area are pretty basic. Nothing fancy. This one is one of the better ones. With the renovation currently in progress, it will move to the top of my list. My room was on one of the already-renovated floors. I was gone every day from 7:30 AM until 7:00 PM and never heard or saw any renovation activity. The room is spacious, well-equipped, and nicely furnished. The bathroom is especially roomy and nice compared with other hotels in the area. The room has a small fridge, microwave, and coffee pot, but not what I would call a kitchen. As noted elsewhere, the staff are all nice and helpful.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2011

After reading some mention the ongoing renovations, we were concerned about noise, but there was none during our stay. The staff were very courteous. The room was nice and clean, and the location is very convenient.

• Stayed November 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

Went to Phoenix for Steeler game in October and booked this hotel thinking the stadium was still in Tempe:) well it's not..haha. Anyway, it was a nice hotel. Rooms are clean but outdated (although that is changing they were working on hotel during our stay). Hotel staff is probably the nicest bunch of people I have ever encountered in the service industry...thank you! Pool was small but clean and nice. If you have any reason to go to Tempe I would not hesitate to stay here!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Roanoke, VA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

I've stayed at quite a few CI&S hotels in the past couple of years and I've always been satisfied with the clean rooms, nice staff and good value. This was the first CI&S that disappointed me.

I wanted to keep expenses down, so I looked first at this hotel, based on the cost and its easy access to PHX. Okay, I'll admit it. I read all the reviews on all the hotel websites prior to my trip. All the recent ones mentioned that the hotel was undergoing renovation. What they didn't say was how inconvenient and dusty it was. For less than $10 more, I could have booked another place near Sky Harbor.

My wife and I stayed here the night of October 19. We had a noon flight out of PHX and decided that staying near the hotel would be more convenient and give us time to have a late breakfast and run a couple of errands before we returned our rental car.

The first warning sign that I ignored was the packed parking lot. The construction workers' cars and their equipment and materials took up most of the parking lot. I wedged my rented SUV between a couple of construction pickup trucks and hoped that I wouldn't pick up a nail in my tires. (The lot was nearly empty when we returned from dinner around 9:30.)

The second warning sign was the very noticeable layer of dust on everything, including the stairs and lobby carpeting. The crew didn't even bother to put floor paper in the elevator. They simply tracked dirt and dust everywhere.

I had booked a king room ($72 with AAA discount). We wound up in a suite -- a second floor suite that was obviously still awaiting renovation. Not exactly what I'd consider an upgrade.

The room was clean but there was a musty/dusty smell. I'm pretty sensitive to dust and should have immediately asked for a renovated room, but the dust would still be in the air.

The room was warm (it was in the mid-80s outside) and there was no way to control the AC.

The lighting in the suite consisted of an overhead CFL fixture and a couple of lamps. I felt like I was in an old black & white detective movie from the '30s. The two old TVs in the bedroom and "living room" were awaiting replacement.

The room was noisy, even after 5, when the clerk told me the construction work would be finished for the day. We actually heard hammering in the room above us at 8:50 PM. It stopped after about 20 minutes. I guess someone must have complained. The construction noise started again around 8:00 AM.

We didn't eat breakfast in the hotel, but several others have commented about the powdered scrambled eggs. We opted for omelets at a nearby Denny's.

Free Wi-Fi was available, but I didn't use it and can't comment on it.

The pool area was small, but clean and well maintained. It was right next to a construction area, but there was nothing going on by the time I got in the pool around 6:00 PM. The sun had already set and I was the only guest in the pool.

The mattress was near the end of its useful life, so it was not as comfortable as I had hoped.

On the positive side, the staff was very nice and friendly.

There are many reasonably priced hotels near the airport, so I'd avoid the Tempe CI&S until the renovations are completed.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 205, or any room that's not been renovated.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank John F
White River Jct, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2011

We knew well in advance that we would need a room near the airport the night before we were to fly home. Having stayed at a Country Inn & Suites on another trip, we found the advance purchase price to be a great deal. The location just off the freeway worked well. The hotel staff was friendly and provided us with information of what local area restaurants were available.

Room Tip: Just ask the staff
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tempe
Hampton Inn & Suites Phoenix / Tempe
Tempe Mission Palms Hotel and Conference Center
Red Lion Inn & Suites Phoenix-Tempe
BEST WESTERN Inn of Tempe
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mesa
Hampton Inn Phoenix-Biltmore

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Tempe Phoenix Airport? Share your experiences!