“Kids disappointed by pool, loved computer”

Hyatt Place Tempe/Phoenix Airport
Ranked #16 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed August 28, 2012

The room was large, clean, and comfortable. Wireless internet was availble in the room. Breakfast was very good. We were up by 7A, so we didn't really notice any plane noise. Shuttle service to the airport left promptly, and it was a short trip to the airport. We just spent one night here after a trip to the Grand Canyon before flying out the following morning. My kids wanted to use the pool while my husband returned our rental car and took the shuttle back. The pool appeared slightly green. I asked the front desk staff if they could double check the pool chemicals. They told me an outside company checks the pool and the pool liner is a slightly green color. I wasn't convinced, so I made a deal with the kids that they could use the hotel computer. The kids hadn't been able to play some of their online games on our tablet, so they were happy with that. I did notice that they were draining water from the pool the morning we left.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place Tempe/Phoenix Airport

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed here for just about 24 hours on a very quick business trip! Although it is slightly run down and could use some updating - the service was good, the room was clean and comfortable. One concern I had before my stay was that the hotel wasn't close to any restaurants within walking distance and there is no regular restaurant in the hotel.

However, the shuttle driver was GREAT and drove us over to the Tempe Marketplace where there is plenty of shopping and several different restaurants. He also promptly picked me up from the airport and brought be back after my meeting.

I didn't have the same complaint about the airport noise as some of the other reviewers. While I did hear some planes, it wasn't bothersome and it didn't keep me awake or wake me up. In fact, the bed was comfortable and I slept quite well there!

We also used the meeting rooms and found that the room was comfortable and the catering was quite good.

All in all, it was a good experience. I would stay here again if I needed to be in this area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ADavis64
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Hotel is a little run down - big stain on carpet - could be an easy fix. Walk in shower nice change from the tub/shower combo of this level of hotel. Nice fresh salads available which is a nice change. Airport is loud at this hotel. Flights start at 6 a.m. Very nice staff like at all Hyatt properties. Close to airport but isolated from any restaurants or shops. Love free wifi.

Room Tip: Try to get away from airport noise if possible!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We haven't stayed at the hotel yet but thought they deserved kudos for customer service before the fact. A friend got a lower rate for the same weekend we are traveling and when I emailed the hotel, they adjusted the rate without any problem. Since it is a big weekend at ASU, I am really pleased with their response and am looking forward to our stay there.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ny2ca73
Reviewed July 6, 2012

There are some good things about this hotel but too many negative things made this a not-so-good stay.

The good:
- Nice lobby
- Clean pool

The not so good:
- 4 housekeeping staff were relaxing and taking a break in my assigned room when I arrived. One of them was even laying on the sofa. I startled them when I came to the door and they all scurried like little mice knowing they weren't supposed to be there.
- The room smelled like smoke even though it is supposed to be a non-smoking hotel.
- You have to be a contortionist to get into the in-room safe. It is shoved on the side of a very, very tiny closet right next to the bathroom sink.
- The ice machine on the 5th floor had no ice at all.
- None of the front desk staff seemed to know what they were doing and were very slow in assisting guests.
- The elevators were greasy and dirty and didn't seem safe.
- The coffee at the breakfast bar was cold and the yogurt and fruit were warm.

I only stayed here one night and it was not a good experience at all. I will ask to stay elsewhere when visiting Phoenix for future business trips.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank loimln
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I'll keep this short since its a bit of a "me too" post. Would be quite happy and no complaints at all, except for the airplane noise (especially the first bank of morning flights when I really planned to sleep in). OK its not right next door to the airport, but you would think somebody would have caught on and stepped up the soundproofing. May have stuck with the standard blueprints a little too far.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 15, 2012

First off, I will admit that I didn't do much more than sleep here. I checked in at 1:00 a.m. and got up at 10:00 a.m. and left. I thought the room was fantastic. It was very contemporary and beautiful. I immediately felt like I could stay there for weeks, if need be.

The bed was comfortable and the flat screen t.v. was the biggest I've ever seen in a hotel room. I loved it! The room also has a separate sitting area, a work desk and a refrigerator. The only downside was low water pressure in the shower.

I did not get up in time to take part in the free breakfast, darn it.

For me, this was a great deal. I booked this on Priceline for $41 and it was worth three or four times that. I would stay here again, for sure.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo