“Unpleasant Experience”

Hyatt Place Tempe/Phoenix Airport
Ranked #12 of 53 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed July 6, 2012

There are some good things about this hotel but too many negative things made this a not-so-good stay.

The good:
- Nice lobby
- Clean pool

The not so good:
- 4 housekeeping staff were relaxing and taking a break in my assigned room when I arrived. One of them was even laying on the sofa. I startled them when I came to the door and they all scurried like little mice knowing they weren't supposed to be there.
- The room smelled like smoke even though it is supposed to be a non-smoking hotel.
- You have to be a contortionist to get into the in-room safe. It is shoved on the side of a very, very tiny closet right next to the bathroom sink.
- The ice machine on the 5th floor had no ice at all.
- None of the front desk staff seemed to know what they were doing and were very slow in assisting guests.
- The elevators were greasy and dirty and didn't seem safe.
- The coffee at the breakfast bar was cold and the yogurt and fruit were warm.

I only stayed here one night and it was not a good experience at all. I will ask to stay elsewhere when visiting Phoenix for future business trips.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank loimln

Reviewed June 29, 2012

I'll keep this short since its a bit of a "me too" post. Would be quite happy and no complaints at all, except for the airplane noise (especially the first bank of morning flights when I really planned to sleep in). OK its not right next door to the airport, but you would think somebody would have caught on and stepped up the soundproofing. May have stuck with the standard blueprints a little too far.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 15, 2012

First off, I will admit that I didn't do much more than sleep here. I checked in at 1:00 a.m. and got up at 10:00 a.m. and left. I thought the room was fantastic. It was very contemporary and beautiful. I immediately felt like I could stay there for weeks, if need be.

The bed was comfortable and the flat screen t.v. was the biggest I've ever seen in a hotel room. I loved it! The room also has a separate sitting area, a work desk and a refrigerator. The only downside was low water pressure in the shower.

I did not get up in time to take part in the free breakfast, darn it.

For me, this was a great deal. I booked this on Priceline for $41 and it was worth three or four times that. I would stay here again, for sure.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Things did not start well; it took the front desk clerk a good 10 minutes to check me in and twice she left the front desk to confer with someone in an office just off the lobby. Interestingly, the other front desk clerk managed to check in 2 other guests in less time than it took for me to finally get a key. At no time did clerk #2 offer to assist clerk #1 (mine) in order to expedite matters. When I finally got to my room I found that the television did not work. I called the front desk and was asked “Would you like another room?”; I think the more appropriate response should have been “Let me get you another room.” I traipsed back to the front desk, picked up my new room key and tried again. Things got better after that. The rooms are nice – kind of a mish-mash of Pottery Barn and Crate & Barrel. There were several stains in the carpet, but having already changed rooms once I didn’t want to do it again. Huge TV. Comfortable bed and sofa. Decent lighting. Tiny, tiny, tiny closet – the dresser (bureau) is actually located IN the closet which limits storage space. Very, very, very small bathroom and the towel rack is INSIDE the shower. (Strange.) I did not visit the pool nor partake of free breakfast. Complimentary national papers are offered (USA Today and WSJ) but no local papers. From a design and style standpoint both the rooms and public areas were quite nice and after the initial glitches getting checked in it was all quite all right. (And yeah, it's near the Sky Harbor. I shall never cease to be amazed by reviewers who choose an airport hotel and then complain about aircraft noise.)

Room Tip: The north-facing rooms (even-numbered rooms) have great mountain and airport views. The hotel is dir...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank abqtravelermta
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We spent one night here and left for the airport the next morning. The rooms were well appointed and fairly new looking. The bathroom is very small. Great place for a short stay, but probably not a good choice for an extended stay.

There is a complemetary breakfast with a nice assortment of both hot and cold items.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tom60713
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Very convenient, close to airport with nice amenities, clean fitness center. The breakfast was actually pretty good. Rooms were up to date with nice sitting area. Free parking, breakfast. A great spot for short stays.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank NWtraveler
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights. Postive aspects are complimentary breakfast and some rooms offer a great view of Camelback mountain and Tempe Town Lake. The breakfast is the same each morning however and if the hotel has many guests you're lucky to get any hot plate at all. Drawback would be the bathroom is extremely small. The door opens into the room allowing perhaps 3 inches to manuever around the toilet to get to the shower.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a view of the mountains.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple