“Great bargain even if off the beaten path! Don't stay here if you want a nice gym.”

Hyatt Place Tempe/Phoenix Airport
Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Ohio, USA
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in March. Although this hotel isn't extremely close to downtown, its a manageable walk.
I am staying at this hotel again for the following reasons:
-Clean hotel, seems relatively new.
-Nice staff
-Good/free breakfast, including hot items (which not all Hyatt Place includes hot)
-Free (decent) WiFi
-Easy access to Town Lake trails and out of the busiest part of the city.

Things I'm not fond of:
-Very small gym, limited equipment
-Will bring my own shampoo & toiletries. Besides the free toothpaste, they leave little to be desired.

And a note about the aiport noise, unless you are going to bed before 9pm the noise from the airport is not bothersome. I wouldn't recommend the hotel for small children for this reason, however.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Chevy Chase, Maryland
Reviewed April 8, 2011

I'm a fan of the Hyatt Place chain. The rooms are comfortable suites with a nice modular living area separate from the sleeping area, which makes for a pleasant place to relax after long days of meetings. I can stretch out on the modular sofa and read, surf or watch TV. Much more comfortable than a room with just a single chair and ottoman.

This particular hotel in Tempe is an older property. I arrived late at night and got one of the only two rooms left in the hotel. The first room I was given didn't have a cable internet connection, which I needed, so I switched to the sole remaining one. Both rooms are showing a bit of wear. The one I ended up in was fine.

Minor complaints... the iron doesn't have a steam blast button, which makes ironing a dress shirt a bit more difficult. Also, the a/c wasn't too powerful. I arrived on the evening of an unseasonably hot (95F) day in April and it took a long time for the room to cool down. And the internet connection (wired, as I didn't have wireless on the laptop I was using) was quite slow. Otherwise, the bed was very comfortable and I slept soundly for all three nights.

The staff were quite friendly and helpful; they were mostly in their 20s, poised and eager to help. The breakfast in the morning was simple but very good. The coffee was fairly decent, too, which is always a pleasant surprise in a hotel.

As for location, it's less than a five minute drive east to Mill Street and the heart of Tempe and ASU. And it's not much farther driving west to the airport. The hotel is a bit out in the middle of nowhere among some office parks just south of the Salt River. That's not a problem, however. I was able to get everywhere I wanted quite easily. A flight path to the airport runs in front of the hotel. I didn't hear anything, however, as my room was on the back of the hotel. Even standing out front as some planes glided over on descent the noise was minor.

I was quite happy with the hotel and will probably stay here again at the end of the month when I return on business.

Room Tip: Aim for a room on the back of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
U.S.
Reviewed March 28, 2011

Arriving from the airport (10 minutes max), I thought, "uh oh"... in the middle of nowhere and without a rental car. BUT, I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel has very convenient shuttle service into town (5 or 7 minute drive) and to/from the airport.

I also was very pleasantly surprised that the "restaurant" (small but does the job!) had good, healthy food options -- more than just cheeseburgers and wings -- for reasonable prices. The continental breakfast was included and was really quite good (remember, "continental" does not mean bacon-and-eggs! So keep your expectations level).

The staff was superbly accomodating. They act as concierge, desk clerks, AND waiters... not sure how they do it all, but they didn't skip a beat while I was there.

The hotel was immaculate and updated -- not sure what the complaints were earlier about being run down; maybe the hotel has since spiffed things up.

Oh, and I heard no airport noise. But, I was an after-midnight arrival and up early.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank bcdrawn
san diego, california
Reviewed February 16, 2011

Beautiful hotel! In Tempe for field trip with my daughter's school (at ASU). Convenient shuttle do and from ASU. All employees were so helpful and friendly. The breakfast was great. Yes, you can hear the airplanes, but not until around 7 which is when we needed to wake up anyway. My daughter and her friends enjoyed the heated pool.

Loved the stay!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 30, 2011

I really enjoyed the modern style of this property, and the amenities were great. It seemed that during my stay, the high majority of travelers were business travelers and the focus of the hotel seemed to be on this type of guest. There was a market downstairs with an attached bar, the breakfast selections were good and the gym was modern but smaller.

The rooms are the best part of this hotel, and I can't remember ever seeing such a large HDTV in any hotel room I have stayed in. It sits in the middle of the room, by the partition, so it can swing towards the bedroom or towards the large living space. Next to the TV was a panel that could be used to easily access video, HDMI, VGA, and audio ports, so you didnt have to fumble behind a TV like you do in most other rooms to connect an iPod for audio or video. There was a wet bar with a sink and refrig which was nice as well. But a large sectional couch made for a nice place to relax without sitting on a typical hotel room bed. Free wi-fi was easily accessible, but very slow at times.

The only downside to the hotel was the airplane noise, but this didn't bother me too much since I can sleep through just about anything. Especially if the sound is muted. But if you are a light sleeper, you might hear the landing aircraft up until about 1130p. Rooms on the back side of the hotel might nor have heard it as much.

I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
London
Reviewed January 18, 2011

Stayed overnight between arriving in Phoenix from the UK and driving on to San Diego (extraordinarily easy, by the way!). Had to change my booking because of the snow in London, but simply switched by helpful staff. Room was great - terrific value with free breakfast, too. Snacks from bar on late evening arrival were fresh and tasty. Can't praise too highly. All staff encountered were friendly. Wonderful - a few high priced hotels could learn from the experience!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 17, 2011

I stayed at the Hyatt Place with two friends for three nights for a half marathon that started in Phoenix and ended in Tempe. We were all very pleasantly surprised, as were other guests we encountered during our stay. We reserved a room with two double beds, which came with a sleeper sofa and was larger than expected. The room was clean and when we called for an extra blanket, one was delivered quickly and pleasantly. My only complaint is that the bathroom is very small, to the extent that you have to maneuver carefully in order to close the door without standing in the shower. The hotel offers shuttle service to/from anywhere within a 5 mile radius, until 11pm. There is only one shuttle, so during peak times it is a good idea to call ahead (or reserve a spot the night before if leaving early), but the most we ever waited was about 15 minutes.

The pool is open year-round and is heated. During my stay the air temperature outside was in the low 70s, warm in the sun but chilly in the shade, and the water temperature of the pool was perfect for a swim. Towels are available poolside, so no need to bring one from home or from the room.

The continental breakfast consisted of bagels, toast, cereal, juices, milk, coffee, and breakfast sandwiches which were very good, with a healthy option on whole wheat. For a complimentary breakfast, it suited our needs quite well to get us going in the mornings.

Every member of the staff with whom I interacted was incredibly professional and friendly, and I can't say enough about shuttle drivers Eric and Rico, who shuttled us around town all weekend, always greeting us with a smile and pleasant conversation. They also were great about recommending restaurants, explaining the light rail, and giving directions to other things we may want to check out. The shuttle service really made our stay effortless and is one of the primary reasons I would definitely stay at Hyatt Place again.

My only word of caution is that the hotel is near the airport so there are a lot of planes flying overhead relatively frequently. I live in Chicago in the O'Hare flight path so I am used to the sound and barely noticed it, but light sleepers may want to consider earplugs for nighttime.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends