“Respiratory Problems? Stay Away!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Tempe/mesa/phoenix Area
Ranked #37 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orlando, Florida
“Respiratory Problems? Stay Away!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

The lobby had a slight "musty" smell. This hotel is located right on the freeway- On retrospect, I'm attributing the lobby smell to the smog making its way inside. Hallways smelled of mold. Room was large, but the furnishings were old and tired. Bathroom was equally old and tired. Both appeared clean. I opened the room window slightly to air out the smelly room, but, the smell of cigarettes from people smoking near the pool and in the parking lot quickly filled the room with the smell of their smoke. So much for leaving the window open! The bed was comfortable. Would not stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
tempehawthorn, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Tempe/mesa/phoenix Area, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to write a review of your stay with us, with regards to your statement on the musty smell in the lobby, the Hawthorn Suites Tempe is one of the most recently built hotels in the area and as you can see form the list of other guests reviews that there is certainly no smell in the lobby, we all here at the Hawthorn Suites Tempe pride ourselves with the cleanliness of our hotel, and all of our staff go above and beyond to make sure all of our guests have an exceptional stay with us. With regards to the furnishings we have new deluxe beds and pillow top mattresses in each suite and the décor compliments the beds and furnishings in each suite. There is a designated smoking area which is nowhere near guest’s rooms or windows. Arizona does have a natural dusty atmosphere however there is air conditioning in each and every suite to combat the natural dust. Thank you for your thoughts, it is greatly appreciated. Thank you for choosing Hawthorn Suites Tempe,
Kind Regards, Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

very impressed!!!!!!. I give huge credit to the housekeeping department because my room was serviced every day and smelt excellent when I came back in the evening. The bed made me want to take it home it was sooo comfortable. perfect location to pretty much everything in the Tempe, Scottsdale, and mesa area. I will definitely be back soon...thank you

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank frequenttavler
tempehawthorn, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Tempe/mesa/phoenix Area, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a flattering review of your stay with us, it was certainly a great pleasure to have you stay with us, indeed the house keeping service operate every day to ensure a home from home experience, our beds are of exceptional quality including pillow top mattresses. The location of the hotel is indeed in the heart of Tempe with easy access to wherever you may need to go. All of us here at Hawthorn Suites Tempe try our hardest to make sure every guest has a comfortable and pleasurable experience with us. Once again thank you so much for your input, it is greatly appreciated.
Management
Shell Beach
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

Hotel is conveniently located next to the 101 freeway making it easy to get anywhere quickly. The staff is extremely friendly. I love the basket of fruit and cookies available in the afternoon. The bed is very comfortable.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

tempehawthorn, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Tempe/mesa/phoenix Area, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for taking time to write a review of your stay with us, the location of the hotel is indeed in the heart of Tempe with easy access to wherever you may need to go. We are so glad that you enjoyed the welcoming basket of fruit and cookies awaiting your arrival, all of us here at Hawthorn Suites Tempe try our hardest to give our guests an excellent experience away from home. Once again thank you so much for your input, it is greatly appreciated.
Management
Payson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

I stayed here for a week. I was impressed with hospitality and cleanness of hotel. Staff was very courteous. I was also impressed with the suite with large kitchen and living area. I felt so comfortable that almost felt like I was at my apartment only. I loved the breakfast as well. Bed was very comfortable. Impressed with the bedding they used. Very clean. Suite had no smell at all which we find in most of the hotel rooms at other hotels. I would love to go back for next stay. Its great price for the type of comfort you get.

Green Features: Was amazed with their environmentally-friendly practices.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank kgangani
tempehawthorn, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Tempe/mesa/phoenix Area, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear valued guest,
Thank you for taking time to post your thoughts on Tripadvisor. We here at Hawthorn Suites try our hardest to give our guests a home away from home. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and also happy to hear you enjoyed the warm breakfast prepared daily. It’s no surprise that you enjoyed the accommodations we offer in our rooms from the spacious living area to our brand new Simmons Beautyrest Cape Breton Pillow Top mattresses. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Management.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

This hotel was fine for a one-night stay near my conference location. The parking lot was pretty small, but this hotel ended up being smaller than I realized anyway, so parking was not difficult. The staff was friendly enough in my brief interactions for check in and check out. I remember the desk clerk trying his best to help the guest before me who requested to switch rooms because he didn't care for the fragrance of the room.

I was only able to locate one elevator to my third floor (top floor) room. Sometimes it took the elevator car a while to arrive.

Wifi did not require any kind of password, which is convenient, but maybe also convenient for hackers standing outside the building. I get a bit paranoid about that, even though I know many "public wifi" networks aren't that secure anyway even if they require a password.

The shower curtain choice was actually pretty neat. I liked how it was opaque except for a wide band of clear material that stretched across the curtain at eye level that allowed light to enter the shower area (don't worry, it's not clear enough that you can see any detail through it).

Hot breakfast was fine, but mostly average: I had the scrambled eggs, sausage links, bacon, potato chunks / hash browns, and orange juice. Actually, the bacon was pretty crunchy, so I liked that.

Overall, the experience was acceptable. If I sound a bit underwhelmed, it was mostly because I expected more for the price I paid. However, it is acknowledged that the lodging selection was small within walking distance of my conference, and I did book the room rather last-minute.

Room Tip: Higher floors mean you have to wait for the elevator.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
tempehawthorn, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Tempe/mesa/phoenix Area, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear Ken,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you felt about your stay with us. All of us here at Hawthorn Suites try our hardest to make sure every guest has a comfortable and pleasurable experience. We can assure you that our WiFi network is plenty secure, we have a Cisco firewall for added security. We keep the network open strictly for convenience. Glad to hear you enjoyed the way we model our rooms, specifically the shower curtain. The bacon is indeed one of the best parts of our daily prepared breakfast and we are happy to know you enjoyed it. Once again we would like to thank you for your input and hope to see you again if you are ever in the Phoenix area.
Management.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tempe
Ramada Tempe/At Arizona Mills Mall
Candlewood Suites Phoenix Tempe
Red Roof PLUS+ Tempe - Phoenix Airport
Baymont Inn & Suites Tempe Phoenix Airport
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Chandler/Phoenix Area
Motel 6 Tempe ASU
Motel 6 Tempe ASU
#31 of 52 in Tempe

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Tempe/mesa/phoenix Area? Share your experiences!