Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Tempe/mesa/phoenix Area
$53
$42
$190
  • Pool
All reviewsan extended stayfull kitchencoffee makerliving roomhot breakfastsitting areaconvenient locationpool and hot tubyogurtmini fridgephoenix areadishwasherfreewaymesaasu
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham
tempehawthorn, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Tempe/mesa/phoenix Area, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Reviewed November 24, 2013

I am a General Manager of a major chain hotel so I am very experienced in what to look for in a stay. I booked this hotel through orbitz. This was a family vacation where we were securing an apartment as we are moving from Illinois to Arizona next month. We arrived late on a Thurs night and check in was alright. The lobby does smell like mildew like other reviews have said. Our room however did not smell like that. The room was large enough for 4 people and it did have 2 nice flat panel TV's. It does need to be updated though. This is NOT a clean hotel! The bedding clearly had "stains" on it and the bathroom was never fully cleaned or stocked. We didn't have enough bathroom items, bedding items, kleenex or t.p in our room for 4 people which they verified at check in would be in the room. Then at check out they asked me the ages of my kids. Remember I already gave them this information when I booked this room on orbitz. When I told them 20 and 16 they then told me the 20 year old isn't a child and they were charging me extra! It is not my problem the hotel and orbitz didn't communicate this information when I booked this hotel. I would highly recommend you stay any where but this hotel. They do not go above and beyond to make sure you have a good stay and they charge extra where they can. As I have reviewed before I would strongly suggest staying at the Comfort Inn and Suites on Boston Ave in Chandler as I promise you will not be disappointed in your stay there!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
tempehawthorn, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Tempe/mesa/phoenix Area, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for voicing your thoughts on TripAdvisor. We are concerned about the miscommunication that is taking place. As a hotel manager, you would of course understand that Orbitz is a separate third party and that it is favorable to book with the hotel directly. This way, you would avoid any issues like this, and it’s much easier to make changes. What you booked with them was a room for two adults and two children under 18 years old. It is clearly stated online that the room rate covers two adults, with any additional adults to have an extra charge. If you book anywhere online with four adults, it will give you the correct amount to begin with. At check-in, there was only one woman checking in, and when asked how many adults in the room, it was stated there would be two adults and two children. The young men who came in after check-in were clearly adults. We tried to confirm the adult count at check-out, but we were told that one was 16 and the other 20. Whether this was true or not, we only charged for the one extra adult. Also, we enjoy hearing from our valued guests how well-kept and nicely cleaned the lobby and rooms are. There has never been any mention or issue with mildew. Our housekeeping staff works very hard to provide the very best service in your suite, making sure you have everything you need each day. If there is something you have an issue with or are in need of, we are more than happy to assist you right away when you notify the front desk. We truly regret that your stay did not meet your expectations, as we do strive here to provide the ultimate hotel experience for our valued guests, always.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

This hotel has got it all for a very low price. Nice large room with couch, coffee table, end table, adequate lighting, desk and chair and lamp. Also good size kitchen with burners, microwave, dishwasher, good size refrigerator, dishes, pots and pans and even the soap and sponge to wash up. Also a coffee maker. The bathroom may be small but the shower is powerful and one of the best of any hotel I have stayed at. Comfortable bed with good light. Did I mention there are 2 TVs in the room and 2 phones? Breakfast choices are phenomenal and served on real dishes and real silverware and real coffee mugs. There is a pool, hot tub, workout room, everything you can think of along with warm cookies and fresh fruit and coffee in the evening.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
tempehawthorn, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Tempe/mesa/phoenix Area, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2013

Dear Gail,
Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor. It is an honor to hear that Hawthorn Suites in Tempe is one of your favorite places to stay! We strive to provide this type of fantastic hotel experience for all of our valued guests, and your recognition will be shared with all of our hardworking staff. You are absolutely right- you can enjoy our spacious suites, countless amenities, delicious complimentary hot breakfast, comfortable Simmons Beautyrest mattresses, and outdoor pool/hot tub and fitness center, all at an affordable rate. Thanks again for your kindness- hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located off the 101 with easy access to ASU and the entire East Valley. The front desk staff I dealt with seemed a bit clueless and disengaged and the fruit basket and cookie shelves were empty. My room was humongous with a wonderfully comfortable bed, but the living room side of the suite had a mish mash of furniture and appliances (and two microwaves, evidently the built-in one no longer works). The sofa and chair were tired and worn and the bathroom was very basic. Everything was clean though.

One thing I noticed immediately was how loud the A/C was, and even after I turned off the fan the system continued to blast, making it bit difficult for me to sleep.

The fire alarm went off across the hotel twice during my stay, which I found to be a bit unsettling.

Overall I would recommend this place for a safe, clean place to sleep and serve as a home base, but if you are planning on spending anytime relaxing in the room, I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
tempehawthorn, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Tempe/mesa/phoenix Area, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your feedback, and it’s good to hear that you were pleased with your stay overall. At Hawthorn Suite in Tempe, we strive to please our valued guests and are sorry to hear that your suite did not meet your expectations. Cookies and fruit are offered as a courtesy to our guests checking in, but may not always be out; as they are just a little something extra we like to share. Our housekeeping staff works very hard around the clock to ensure you a spotless and comfortable room. The a/c unit does not continue working if it is fully turned off, but if there is an issue with anything in your room we are happy to fix it right away! Thanks for choosing Hawthorn Suites!

Reviewed November 15, 2013

we had a very nice stay recently. There was one major problem however. My son was awakened two night in a row by a clock alarm continually going off beginning at midnight. On the 2nd night he & the night manager searched for the source with no luck. The manager would not allow my son to change his room. This is unreasonable & very bad business. Otherwise nice rooms & very nice desk assistants.

Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

Dear Barbara,
Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. It is great that you enjoyed your stay overall, but we are sorry to hear that you feel unsatisfied with your service. We apologize for the inconvenience of an alarm clock nearby going off in a guest suite nearby. As soon as this was brought to our attention, the night front desk agent went up immediately to find where the alarm was coming from. When he figured it out, he offered to contact this guest, but your son said that it was his aunt and that he didn’t want to disturb her. The next day, we did in fact move your son to a downstairs room. The front desk manager was more than happy to take care of that for you. We strive to address our valued guests’ concerns and solve issues right away. Thank you for choosing Hawthorn Suites in Tempe!