“Awful place to stay”

Ranked #39 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
N Dartmouth MA
“Awful place to stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2007

We drove back from Las Vegas to Phoenix to catch a plane on 4/20/07 We wanted a place close to the airport. I looked in my AAA book and this place looked like a decent place to stay. It said that they had free breakfast and that was a plus considering we had an early flight the next morning. We stayed in room 167. We paid 89.00 plus tax which came to 103.00. I would have been better off staying in my rental car. The place wasn't very clean. My bed was so soft and uncomfortable that the sheet and mattress pad kept popping off all night. If I slept 5 minutes I was lucky. The bed was so close to the a/c that it blew on you all night. If you shut it off it got to warm. There were 4 of us staying in this room and they supplied 3 towels. There was only a cloth shower curtain that got totally soaked every time it was used. Can't imagine it would dry out in a day. This place was disgusting and I would never stay here or in a Inn Suite again. It's just to old and run down for my liking. We didn't have the breakfast because they start serving at 6:30 am. We didn't have time as we had to return the rental car and get to the airport. Nascar was in town so hotel rooms were slim picking. As far as a ghetto mall across the street as someone said. It was a great mall. They had tons of stores and restaurants. A Rainforest cafe and we ate at the Gameworks Sports Bar & Grill. The whole mall was hardwood floors which I have never seen in a mall before. I only wish the hotel was as nice as the mall was. Avoid at all cost.

• Liked — nothing it was horrible
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank msar1076

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2007

This was the first hotel we stayed in during our Arizona vacation in February 2007. It is quite conveniently located just off the Interstate. Once you check in, if you have made the first turn into the hotel after the interstate, it's impossible to drive your car to the rear parking lot because the hotel is situated right in the middle of a T intersection with traffic lights. If you leave the hotel by the second entrance you can only turn right onto Baseline Rd and drive away to make a U turn! This hotel is definately old and nearing time for a makeover or demolition. The corridors are all outsde and are paved with tiles which are very noisey when people trundle past at night with their wheeled luggage. A very large group of overseas tourists arrived after midnight and were running and shouting looking for their rooms which appeared to be scattered all over the hotel. The beds and pillows in our room were almost new and comfortable (best we had during the vacation) Fridge and microwave oven in room but fridge freezer section was totally packed tight with ice and with Arizona's dry climate seems like it never had been defrosted in years! The cabinet under the fridge was also soggy and decomposing. ( I reported this to the front desk)
The hotel had 4 internet computers with printers which was great for flyers like us who don't wish to carry a laptop on a family vacation. The breakfast wasn't bad, no meat but plenty of eggs, potato, bread, fruit and really good juice. The restaurant is rather small and would be a zoo at a busier time..Like so many hotels of this vintage it has outside corridors and no elevators. When I attempted to book online I couldn't find a cancellation policy. I emailed the hotel direct and they were rather slow in answering with a "one liner" reply that it was 24 hours.

• Liked — Internet Computers, breakfast, handy location, fridge and microwave oven.
  • Disliked — No elevator, noisey outside corridors, getting old, fridge/ cabinet neglected
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank niloc-7
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2007

I was working in Tempe for the entire month of December, 2006. I checked in the last week of November and checked out half-way through my stay (about 2 weeks into it).

This hotel is terrible for so many reasons. My job insisted I stay here because it was a cheap and they were paying for it. I agreed until I couldn't take it anymore. That's when I checked out and went to the Fiesta Inn which is a great hotel and I highly recommend it. My employer even admitted that they were "sorry" for the hotel and I hadn't even complained about it yet. They were embarrassed by the fact that there was a "gentlemans club" next door and that the hotel was across the street from a "ghetto mall." Those are their words, not mine.

In all the time I was there I didn't meet a single staff member who was friendly or helpful. I stayed in a suite with two large beds, a full kitchen, and a large-sized living room (room 299). Too bad it was filthy dirty. There was old food under the burners of the stove and the oven had never been cleaned. Someone had left a half-eaten pizza in the oven! The second day I was there I bought some slippers because the carpets were so dirty that I didn't feel safe walking on them even in my socks. I also bought a cheap coffee maker because not only did the one in the room not work properly, but it looked like it was 10 years old and was so stained I wasn't sure if brown was the natural color of the pot or not.

They allow pets. I guess that's a good thing if you have one. But for 4 days in the room above me I had to listen to barking dogs because they were left alone every night until the guests got back at 2:00 or 3:00 am. When I complained to the front desk they said, "We allow pets." That was it. They did nothing.

The reason I checked out early is because I was a victim of crime at the hotel and the hotel handled the whole thing poorly. However, this web site doesn't allow reports of crime in these reviews so I won't describe it here.

The bottom line is that even though this hotel is cheap it's totally not worth it and you'd be happier (and safer) staying in a better part of town. Like I said, the Fiesta Inn is a great hotel and I have stayed there 3 separate times.

• Liked — Free ethernet Internet in the room
  • Disliked — Location in bad part of town
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank PerkyTraveler
Oklahoma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2007

When we checked in I knew it was not going to be a good thing. we were told we would have side by side rooms but one was not ready. Ok we waited 1 hour and went back and the rooms were in different buildings but not too far apart. Ok the rooms were filthy, the linen looked like it had not been changed, the carpet was soiled. We called about the linen no responce. Later the tv in one room would not turn on, my wife called the desk and was told " What the hell do you want me to do about it?" by the night clerk who then hung up on her, my wife called back the desk and the clerk said "there was not a damn thing he could do about it " and hung up again.. The other room had no toilet paper and I decided to go have a chat with this person and he denied hanging up and said we were liers and to get out. I asked him for his name and he laughed at me and said" you think I'm stupid?'He then said he he was going to black ball us from all hotels in the area. All this time he had a threatening attitude and I was concerned he may turn violent. We left the office and proceeded t o call Hotels.com who said they could not move us that night (Dec. 30.2006) but made arrangements for the rest of our stay in Phoenix. I later learned that the night clerk name was Brian but could not get the last name. This hotel had dirty toilets, the trim was falling off the soffits and the handicap ramps had so much bird poop on them they were unusable. I will post pictures at a later date.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Arriving
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not stay here
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank skyhawk1pilot
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2006

We stayed here with a couple of families in two suites because of the good reviews on TripAdvisor. The reviews turned out to be correct. This was a good bargain and nice enough for families. Not a high class romantic place to stay by any means, but LARGE suites with a lot of amenties. Everyone enjoyed the free hot breakfast. The business services turned out to be very helpful as we had to print a document from a jump drive.

The hotel could use a bit of updating and maintenance, but overall was good. I learned that a certain number of rooms are being remodeled and will be sold as condominiums.

Stayed December 2006
1 Thank jonbella
Gambrills, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2006

I stayed here instead of spending $200 per night to attend a conference at a resort about 1/2 a mile away. Airport pick-up was quick and easy, as soon as I found the designated pick-up location outside baggage claim. Driver was very helpful with an offer to shuttle me back and forth to my conference each day. The business center had 4 computers hooked up to the Internet, allowing me to log into my company network and keep up with email. At least one was always available. This is not a resort property and is located in the middle of a busy commercial area. Don't expect great views, with a large brightly lit gas station on one side and a "gentlemen's cabaret" on the other and a very busy 6 lane street in front. The cabaret was a bit on the high end and had good security, so I wouldn't let its nearness affect a decision to stay here. The gas station and highway were more distracting. My room seems to have been redone recently with new furnishings, paint and wallpaper. But somehow, they missed the carpet as it had numerous burn marks and looked much more worn than I would have expected. The continental breakfast was above average with scrambled eggs, fresh grapefruit, and waffles. No bacon, bagels or muffins though. Just bread for toasting and cereal. The happy hour had a wide variety of selections, with small glasses. My G&T was fine. The area where they have breakfast and happy hour is pretty small and augmented by an outdoor area. The food service area was fairly narrow. I could see that it had the potential to be a zoo if the hotel is fully booked. The hotel seemed fairly empty with few kids that I could see. I think most of the guests were there on business. Room was fairly quiet overnight, but I did get some road noise. I think the best room location is toward the back, away from the road and closer to the pool and cafe. Pool looked tiny and wouldn't take much to overcrowd it. I think I make a good selection with the Inn Suites and would do it again, but I would keep an eye on the school vacation schedule and avoid it when there is likely to be a high family count.

• Liked — Convenient location in the middle of things.
  • Disliked — Traffic noise,
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank RamsHeadFC
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2006

I am staying at this hotel at the time this review is been written. It is an older property, it is directly across from Arizona Mills, a huge shopping complex, directly off I10. Check-in was quick and staff friendly. Hotel rooms have been kept up and are clean, as well the bathroom was very clean. Good TV with micro wave, and small fridge. Bed was comfortable. Nice swimming pool, with a small restarurant. Free buffet breakfast included, which was ok, but I chose not to participate in. This property is strictly for families as far as I am concerned. Lots, and lots of kids. The pool is packed with kids in the early evening. The restaurant where the buffet breakfast is served is also packed in the morning. Cleaning staff is overworked, and clean towels for the room did not arrive until late in the afternoon, even though the room had been cleaned. Price is reasonable for a room. This is not a place for business, older travelers or couples, again it is great for families looking for a reasonable place with some amenities. I would give this property a 2+ star rating.

2 Thank yvr1