“Nowhere near a 3 star”

Hotel Tempe/Phoenix Airport InnSuites Hotel & Suites
Ranked #37 of 53 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I will start by saying that the staff was good. It's not their fault that the hotel is nowhere near a 3 star hotel. I've stayed at many hotels in my lifetime, and this hotel is no better - and maybe worse - than a Motel 6. Noisy rooms. You can hear all adjoining rooms water turn on and off. Toilet didn't work. Walls paper thin, and the clientele is inconsiderate. Noisy early in the morning and late at night. I had to finally open my door at 2 am and tell people to stop yelling outside the rooms. Very unsatisfied with the hotel. Rooms were clean enough and the staff did their best. Just don't expect a 3 star experience. I don't care if there is a mini fridge and a microwave in the room. I also don't care if you've got a pool. That doesn't make up for a crappy hotel. Have I made myself clear? IT'S NOT A 3 STAR HOTEL!!! I expect a certain level of hotel when I'm booking a 3 star. GO TO MOTEL 6 INSTEAD. At least you'll be expecting a 1 star.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank T I
Adam S, General Manager at Hotel Tempe/Phoenix Airport InnSuites Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

I am sorry to hear that your recent stay at our hotel did not exceed your expectations, as is always our goal. I am glad to see that my staff's hard work and details to cleanliness were highlights of your stay. It is unfortunate that there was noise from guests around your room that disturbed your stay. I know that when you were here we were informed of your plumbing issue and our maintenance staff has already completed the work order on the room you were in, thank you for letting us know there was an issue. Thank you for your feedback so that our team can improve our offerings for our guests.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Older hotel but the amenities make up for that. They have an afternoon "tea"/happy hour and good hot breakfast selections. Front desk staff very customer service friendly and provided our requests for more towels with more than enough. Beds were a little rough and poor pillow quality, good shower with plenty of hot water and the AC was a dream it got very cold in the room. Great for Phoenix hot weather. AZ Mills Mall just across the street. Hotel location good for a variety of restaurants close by and just off the freeway.

Room Tip: Stay in a suite if you can
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jerry_Rita
Reviewed April 9, 2014

First this place is more like a motel. Rooms are hard to get to on the 2nd floor, stairs, no elevator and you enter the room from outside like a Motel 6. Rooms smell bad, are outdated and not cleaned as thoroughly as I would like. Staff is friendly which is one of the few upsides to staying here. First night here was bike week so there were a lot of bikers. They were revving engines in the parking lot all night with none of the staff of the hotel even attempting to keep it quieter. Walls are paper thin and you hear everything. Had to call front desk several times, got very little sleep. Pool is mediocre at best. Breakfast is free and good. I would say try to stay away from this place if you can. If you are super low budget and need an Ok place to stay I would say it's worth a $40.00 bid on priceline, but not one penny more.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matthew P
Adam S, General Manager at Hotel Tempe/Phoenix Airport InnSuites Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay, and I am sorry that the other guests in our area that weekend disrupted your visit. During early April every year is Arizona Bike Week and Phoenix Cycle Fest. Our hotel is very attractive to people attending these events as we have ample parking outside of our rooms with easy access for the guests. Thank you for your praise of my staff's friendliness and our breakfast, those are some of the areas where we receive the most praise. The motorcycles are only here one specific week each year and sell out numerous hotels in our area. For guests to receive Full Hot & Healthy Buffet Breakfast, airport shuttle, wifi, and evening social hour, our value is hard to beat amongst our competitors. We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

After having read some of the negative reviews on here, I was a little worried going in. I made my reservation through PriceLine, and was worried that I was going to be stuck staying in a total dump.

The location of the Hotel Tempe is perhaps not the nicest area of Phoenix / Tempe. But it is a great location. Mall, and several restaurants & bars within walking distance. Easy access to the freeways. Plenty of parking. I never felt unsafe.

The beds were very comfortable, with nice clean fresh linens. The accent furniture (dressers, bar stools, end tables, bed-side tables, etc.) was maybe a little old. The beds, mattresses, and sofa all seemed to be pretty recent and in good shape. The bathroom looked like it freshly remodeled, and was very clean. Everything was in good working order. I literally had no problems with anything. The hotel is much larger than I expected, but there was plenty of parking. All-in-all, I would say that the room was nice, modern, clean, with good Wifi, and good TV. The alarm clocks had iPod / iPhone docks for playing music and charging devices. About the only negative thing I could say is that the hotel has no elevators. This hotel exceeded my expectations for a 3-star hotel in this area.

The staff at the Hotel Tempe made a GREAT first impression! Their computer system had malfunctioned, and they could not locate my reservation at first. Once they found my reservation, my reservation did not line up with their current vacancy or room availability. To accommodate, they upgraded my room to one of their double-queen 2-bedroom presidential suites (with living room, and kitchen) no problem, no additional charge. They were very polite and professional.

Bottom line: I would have no problems recommending this hotel to friends or family.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank JFshooter

Thank you for your wonderful comments about your recent stay. As you found out personally, our staff aims to please, and we work hard to exceed expectations. Since you enjoyed it so much, our signature Cloud 9 bed is available for purchase direct from the manufacturer, information about purchasing one of these wonderful beds is available on our website.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

The positive first; My wife and I loved the bed, the room, the pool, PJ's, the little cafe within the hotel property where continental breakfast and social hour are served.
A generous rewards program also.
The negative; I know hotels charge a fee for "amenities" and this fee is different from one hotel to another. However, when your a regular customer and plan to continue visiting, and have developed a record of not "using" the amenities, it is my opinion the fee should be waived. Also, I checked my bank this morning and discovered a charge for a stay when I was not there. Upon contacting the hotel, I was told it was for a reservation from over a week previous that we cancelled. The gentleman I spoke with said I had to provide a cancellation confirmation number before they would refund the money, and it could take up to 30 day's. If I can't trust my financial information with them, there is nothing they can do to get me to come back. It's too bad as we had planned on visiting at least once a month. If the staff had integrity they would have made it right with a single phone call.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

I apologize for the billing error with your reservation. I know that my front office manager did speak with you personally and that you have been refunded for the additional reservation which was not officially cancelled. We do require any and all guests staying at our hotel to provide a credit or debit card which is authorized for room, tax, and an additional incidental hold. By design, this is not something that our front desk staff can change, as I have it programmed into the reservation system to automatically authorize the card for this. I assure you that this is a relatively standard procedure here in the Phoenix area, I have never worked at a hotel that didn't have an incidental hold on a guest's card. Rental car companies also have this as a standard, this is very common. The authorized amount gets released back by the card holder's bank after the stay as long as no additional charges for room service, etc have been incurred to the reservation. We look forward to seeing you next time!

Reviewed March 28, 2014

Nice place, decent room. Good location, nice breakfast. The gym, though, looked like a big closet, and I could not run since the incline button on treadmill broken. Also, remote control on my room looks like it has bite marks on it. Overall, seems like there were more families here, and probably a good place to go for cost conscious folks. The suite did have two room, and that was nie, and bed was fine. Nice kitchenette for those who want to use it.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I always meet my kids and grandkids in this area sometime during the month of March so we can attend some baseball Spring Training games so we ended up staying here. The check-in process was very good. The young lady was very efficient an friendly. The room was on the small side but it was very clean. I found out that the walls are paper thin and every word of the conversation in the room next door could be heard. Their breakfast was great offering several choices and their social hour where they offered two free beers or soda's along with chips, popcorn, etc. was nice also. They had a nice pool and it along with the pool area was nicely kept. One of my kids and her family had a bad experience though. They had arrived late in the evening and the next morning they were awakened by the noise of someone running in the room above them. A few minutes later they heard water dripping in the bathroom and when they looked lots of water was coming down from the ceiling. They called the front desk right away and tried to catch the water with their ice bucket and trash can. Then they realized that the water was dirty, it was waste. Apparently the toilet above them had overflowed and now it was leaking into their room. When they went to the front desk and told them there was no way they were going to stay in that room the clerk told them they could change rooms but not until 3:00 PM. That sure seemed strange but since we were going to a game it would work out OK. We got back to the hotel at 3:45 and when they went to get the key for their new room they were told it wasn't ready yet and they had to wait another 30 minutes. I can't believe that a priority wasn't put on getting their new room clean. And after all of this there was NEVER any kind of an apology given, not even in the least way. No, next year we'll be looking for a different place to stay based on the very high prices here and the lack of service.

Room Tip: If you don't want to be disturbed by the noise from all of the folks in the pool ask for a way o...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family