“A nice hotel but too far from Gateway” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Tempe by the Mall

BEST WESTERN PLUS Tempe by the Mall
Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Sierra Vista, Arizona
“A nice hotel but too far from Gateway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

My mother-in-law flew out of Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport very early this morning. I searched for a hotel close to Gateway and for some reason this hotel came up although it is actually 18 miles from Gateway. It IS close to Sky Harbor Airport however.
The distance from Gateway really is my only complaint. Otherwise the hotel is well priced, very clean and comfortable, quiet with excellent customer service. It is close to shopping and reasonably priced restaurants. Because my mother-in-law uses a walker, I asked for a handicapped (hate that term) room and when we arrived, they had given us one close to the parking lot with great access. I would definitely book this hotel if I were flying out of Sky Harbor or just visiting Phoenix.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BWT03144, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Tempe by the Mall, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
We are very close to Phx Sky Harbor Int'l airport

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Fayetteville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

We stayed here while driving on I-10 and had a great visit. There are several good restaurants nearby and it's right off the Interstate. Everything was clean and the staff was helpful and friendly.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate your visiting us on your I 10 stopover
Annapolis Royal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed overnight on our way home from vacation. Impressed by the hospitality of the front desk, shuttle driver, etc., and the price was right.

Would stay again without question.

Room Tip: We were very pleased with the staff who went out of their way to accommodate us - shuttled us to a l...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for visiting our property.
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

I found this hotel on Booking.com and selected it because of its location: close to the airport (3 miles) and close to shopping and tourist attractions. The complimentary hot breakfast and a pool turned out to be unexpected bonuses.
The hotels itself is small but extremely well maintained. Several small maintence jobs were occurring while I was there but were executed so discretely that I didn't notice really until it was completed.
My room was very clean and comfortable. A microwave and fridge in addition to the standard coffee maker were nice to have. (Their Colombian coffee was the tastiest I have ever had in a hotel room and I'm a fussy coffee drinker!)
The front desk staff were amazing. I never stumped them with any of my questions from "Where was a good place to eat?" or "How often does the #56 bus run and where can I catch it?"
The computers and printers located in the lobby were a very nice touch as I don't have a laptop and some of prepared notes I had were a little out of date and I needed to research more.
They even offered to have a bagged snack prepared for me on the morning of my departure as it was ealier than the commencement of their breakfast service!
The complimentary hot breakfast boasted the largest selection I had ever seen, eggs with a varied selection of side meat from day to day, biscuits with gravy, cereals (hot and cold), fresh fruit, yogurt, waffles, juice, pastries, muffins and bagels. (The staff never once commented on how much I could eat!)
While the pool was small, after a day of 100+ degree sightseeing, it was bliss! The patio and poolside area were immaculately maintained and always had plenty of towels.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again. It's close enough to everything and far enough from any city bustle to be restful.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BWT03144, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Tempe by the Mall, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Thank you very much for your outstanding revenue.
Our entire staff appreciates it.
Richmond, BC Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

Found this hotel on Booking.com for an over night stay before ending vacation in Sedona. I liked that it was close to PHX. Got there around 4PM. Friendly staff member, however wanted a coffee and it was luke warm as well as the hot water, so I would recommend that this be looked at more closely by the staff during the day.
Disappointed that the mattress sagged in the middle, would not expect this in a Best Western, so maybe you need assess and get new ones where needed.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
BWT03144, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Tempe by the Mall, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are continually upgrading the hotel.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

Rooms were very clean, as was the pool area. The pool was kind of small, but pleasant. The breakfast, although varied, always had grainy feeling eggs and the sausage was rubbery. This hotel was not AT the Mall (I guess the name does say it's BY the Mall, which is true), it was two to three blocks away across a very busy street, so you wouldn't want to walk there. One day when I was turning into the motel parking lot, I was stopped by a Sheriff's Officer who had misread my license plate and thought the license plate didn't belong to the car. We got to talking and he noticed that we had been shopping at the Mall. He advised me to take all our purchases into the room with us because he said it was a bad neighborhood and my car may be broken into and everything stolen. This was a little disconcerting, but we never had a problem.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
BWT03144, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Tempe by the Mall, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Thank you for your " Overall pleasant place to stay" review
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

My kids and I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights. Our experience was nothing but positive from booking on the phone with Renee to arriving early and having our rooms ready to departing and paying for the hotel with Best Western gift cards.
The breakfast is more than we have ever experienced at other hotels. Omletes, eggs, bacon, juices, yogurt, bagels, fresh fruit, flavoured water, coffee, tea and waffles to name some of the selesction.
The rooms were spacious, beds were comfortable, showers were great and the hotel itself was very quiet. The parking lot is huge and we parked in several locations around the hotel and always felt safe walking to and from the vehicle at all times. The pool is more than adequate and the hot tub was a pleasant surprise as we soothed our legs after hiking Echo Canyon.
The location is perfect. A huge selection of restaurants, shopping, movie theatres are within walking distance, while numerous activities and museums are within a reasonable driving distance.
I must comment on the staff. We did not experience a single negative encounter with any of the staff. The guest service staff went out of their way to assist us, the housekeeping staff were very thorough and the maintenance staff keep the facility clean, yet you never saw them.
My kids insisted I mention Elliott. He printed maps, gave us directions to the light rail, suggested day trips, and guided us to some fun restaurants. Most importantly, he was always smiling.
This is our choice for staying in the Phoenix area. Road access is great, and we could get anywhere in the area we needed to.

Room Tip: Rooms 402 and 404 are adjoining rooms at the end of the hall. Great rooms for families. A/C is very...
1 Thank J S
BWT03144, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Tempe by the Mall, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Thank you for your " Amazing Hotel" positive comment