“on the pricy side but the food is worth it”
Review of The Dhaba

The Dhaba
Reserve with OpenTable
The Dhaba is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 800 Restaurants in Tempe
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: The embodiment of food in the spirit of the nation is an integral part of its identity. Our Dhaba is the embodiment of Punjabi food and Punjab - a state that has been the envy of the nation (India). In India and Pakistan, highways are dotted with local restaurants popularly known as 'Dhabas', providing local cuisine and serving as stops for truck drivers. Dhabas are traditionally characterized by casual seating on cots (called chaarpai in Hindi) and food prepared in clay ovens (tandoor). Over time Dhabas have come to define a culture, centered on food. Real Punjabi has been influenced by the diverse culinary cultures of Persia, Afghanistan and Central Asia. Punjab provided a conduit to caravans from Bukhara, Kabul & Kashmir. The wonderful frontier foods intertwined with the rich stream of Hindu, Sikh, Pathan, Muslim and Kashmiri migrants enriched the Punjabi cuisine. Our Dhaba food is non monolithic. It's simple. It's rich. It's robust. It's diverse. Please join our chefs and staff to explore real food prepared by real people.
Reviewed April 22, 2012

great food, nice atmosphere, awesome staff! This place is what I would consider upscale, or boutique restaurant, not great for kids. we had a variety of dishes and all were delicious. Though portions are on the small side. The place is small, expect to wait at peak hours. They have authentic chai tea, a must try!

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

Reviewed March 3, 2012

Having shopped at the adjoining Indian grocery store for the last 5 years, and occasionally eaten at the chaat corner and purchased sweets, we were looking forward to our first visit to the full service restaurant that has replaced the chaat corner. We appreciated the authentic decor and live sitar while waiting to be seated. The place is rather small and easily feels noisy and crowded on a busy evening. Service was slow throughout our meal. There was a draft coming from the AC vent that especially made an elderly member of our party uncomfortable. When we finally got our server's attention, she did not offer to re-seat us even though other tables were open. We ordered 3 chicken dishes, which were quite good. The fish item, though, was disappointing, with pieces of nondescript whitefish swimming in a curry. With rice and 3 lassi, our bill was about a hundred bucks. I am not planning to go back.

1  Thank banerjee
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We wanted to have supper earlier but they were full (Saturday night, busy fall weekend) so we made a reservation for an hour later. My/our experience of Indian food is limited; but, this is an Indian restaurant, I think half the people eating there were from India, and everything was really, really tasty. Be patient, its worth it.

Reviewed December 29, 2011

Our food was well-prepared, hot and delicious.
The owner was very friendly.
I wanted to go back, but we ran out of time.

Reviewed December 10, 2011

I went there with my girl friends for lunch, and they had a lunch combo that changes daily.

Lunch special came with drink (I ordered lassi and it was delicious!), and was around $10.

You could order off the regular menu at lunch time, just ask the server for a regular menu, and they'll have extensive selection.

Their menu has some vegetarian option, vegan option and I believe they had gluten free too (but I could be wrong).

good food for good price, overall I was happy with the service too!