“Sleek & modern retreat!”
Review of Aloft Tempe

Aloft Tempe
Ranked #28 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed October 8, 2009

My teenage daughter & I attended a theatre performance in Tempe and stayed one night at Aloft. We were immediately impressed upon entering the lobby. Bright & colorful, there were plenty of gathering spaces, board games, a pool table, food for purchase, and a bar - a perfect hangout for all ages. The decor in our room was sleek & modern, the beds & linen of fine quality. We would definitely return to this hotel with friends & family.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Aloft Tempe

Reviewed October 6, 2009

This is my second stay at an Aloft property and I am now convinced that I will never stay at another one. My previous stay at the Rosemont property was marred by a obnoxiously loud noises coming from the heating system. Before making the reservation at the Tempe property, I called the hotel to see if they had the same type of HVAC system and whether or not there had been complaints. I was assured that it was quiet and there had been no complaints.

So, I guess I will be the first to complain. It was horrible - when the condenser kicked in it sounded like a freight train was rolling through the room. It is inconceivable to me that a brand new hotel (or hotel chain, for that matter) would install such loud heating/cooling units. If you like it to be quiet when you're sleeping, this is most definitely NOT the property for you!

If it weren't for that (huge) problem, I think the hotel would have been OK. The rooms are stylish but not very practical for a long stay (no drawers - there are only a few hangers and you have to fold the rest of your clothing and such on open shelves. The sliding door separating the toilet area doesn't close all the way, so it's not terribly private, in case that's an issue for you.

The large flat screen is nice,. The bed was comfortable (although not up to Westin/W standards) but the pillows were a bit wimpy. Parking was plentiful and free and there is free WiFi throughout the hotel...as well as two computers in the lobby that you can use and print from.

There is a cool looking outdoor area with a pool. It was a bit too cold to swim, but we did enjoy sitting outside.

There was a lot of construction going on near the hotel and there's not much in the immediate area. But it's close to the highway and we found it to be a pretty good location for our needs.

The staff is young - probably ASU students, so you might want to consider that if you ask for a restaurant recommendation.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Juilletdix
Reviewed August 30, 2009

In our trip into the Great Southwest, we stayed for one night at the Aloft hotel in Tempe. We were actually looking forward to staying at this hotel more than any because we did not know what we were getting ourselves into.

We pulled up to the hotel, which is maybe 10 minutes away from the airport (very nice location) and parked in the free parking lot. It's always refreshing, and becoming more and more rare, to find free parking at a hotel. We grabbed our bags and headed inside and encountered a kiosk that had a self check-in option. We did that, and it was easy to navigate. After getting our room keys, we went up to our room on the 3rd floor. Our anticipation was running high... We got off the elevator, turned left, walked a bit, turned right, and there it was... A member of the housekeeping staff working on our room. I was quite shocked by this: It was nearly 5:30PM when we checked into the hotel, and they were just starting to clean the rooms? I was not impressed. So we waited for about 5 minutes for her to finish up, and then the room was ours for the night!

The other reviews on this website very accurately describe the hotel rooms. When you walk in the door, you are literally in the bathroom. Keep walking and you are in a smaller room with a very comfortable bed and a huge TV on the wall. Several wireless telephones are found throughout the room, as well as an alarm clock that doesn't make any noise, but instead just brightens up and flashes a light when it's time to wake up (I'm a heavy sleeper, this wouldn't work for me). This hotel also features free internet, another item that is becoming more rare in hotels.

The Aloft Tempe is conveniently located near several supermarkets, countless restaurants, and Sun Devil Stadium, home of the Arizona State football team.

Overall, we were very impressed with this hotel. Should we ever come back to the Phoenix area, we will definitely stay here again.

***WARNING*** - The street that the hotel is located on has numerous radar cameras. When the sign reads Speed Limit 35, they mean 35. I saw a flash when I was driving, and I'm not sure if it caught me or the guy next to me, but we were both slightly exceeding the speed limit. Just a heads up :)

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hawklets03
Reviewed August 21, 2009

Very much enjoyed my stay at the aloft Tempe. Had a great modern/fresh feel to it. Rooms are laid out much differently than most hotels with contemporary art accents, huge glass showers, and big LCD TVs with an HD signal to match. Mostly importantly, the beds were extremely comfortable (something I don't usually notice because I can sleep anywhere).

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2009

Summer in Tempe, AZ makes it really easy to find very affordable hotel accommodations. We got a great rate directly from the hotel website and only booked 24 hours in advance due to the uncertainty in our travel plans. We requested an early check in and the staff was very accommodating allowing us to check in at 9:00 am for our one night stay. The hotel is very modern and seems to cater to the 20-30 something business crowd. The rooms are small (315 sq.ft.) so if space is what your looking for this isn’t the hotel for you. The room was very well appointed and an extremely efficient layout. The king bed was very comfortable and the over-sized walk in shower was great. The location is fairly close to PHX Airport and right down the street from ASU’s Sun Devil Stadium. Check it out if you feel the need to stay in something other than a typical hotel room.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2009

The Aloft Tempe is stylish, modern, and has a different attitude about hospitality than most hotels. They take self-serve to a new level, you don't even need the front desk staff to check in or check out, you can do both at a kiosk in the lobby, as well as print your boarding pass. In lieu of room service there is a self-serve food bar with packaged and some fresh foods. There is no restaurant, but there is a funky bar and a billiards table in the stylish lobby, and across the street are In-n-Out Burger, Starbucks, a yogurt shop and a sub shop. Music in lobby is funky and a little too loud, but staff is very nice and accommodating. Great resort-like pool area, but no poolside service (and they need to up the heat in the heated pool). The rooms are not large, but again very well styled. Nice sized shower, interestingly situated so there is some natural light from the bedroom. You do walk into the sink area of the bath upon entering the room, and the closet is meant for hanging 3 or 4 items at most (it isn't really a closet, more of a locker with a curtain, also in the sink area). Great 42 inch TV and cool multi-media TV hookup for your laptop, ipod, etc, as long as you have the right AV cord to do it. I'm a geek but even I don't travle with that much cordage. Also cool retro bedside clock and great bedside light for reading in bed. I did not experience the hourly wi-fi log-in that another reviewer did; I logged in once per 24 hours, which is normal for most hotels. I got an internet only rate of $100 per night and I would say it was a very good value, much better than other, more-vanilla chains in the same price range.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 21, 2009

I've been meaning to check out the new Aloft brand from Starwood, so I was pleased to find one right near Tempe Town Lake. Friendly check-in girl indicated that I could access the jogging paths around the lake just across the parking lot - very convenient. Hip interiors, love the inclusion of a lobby bar, great landscaping, comfy bed. One minor observation: they have a all-in-one entertainment box that you can hook up your iPod/laptop/whatever and have it play on the TV, but you need to bring your own audio jack cord to connect to an iPod.
Overall, I found it much more preferable to almost any other highway-side midgrade hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo