“Had to stop here per our daughter's request”

Four Corners Monument
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed September 2, 2013

So, we let our teenage daughter pick a place she wants to go to each year for vacation and this year she picked the Grand Canyon. We ended up making it a 2 week road trip and she got to choose the main stops on the trip. She requested we make a stop here on our way to Monument Valley. So, of course, we did.

She had a ball here! She and my husband both were like little kids just playing around in 4 states at once. I got pics of them and she was so excited to be there. She even told us that her friends back here at home (in NC) were going to be jealous of all the neat things she did on our trip, including standing in 4 states at once.

It is $3 per person to enter, but it was more than worth it so they can maintain the upkeep at the sight. We did not do any shopping, but we did have our picnic lunch here. I had no idea before our trip that they had picnic tables here, but they do. I was wondering where we were going to have our lunch on that day, so it worked out perfectly. You can pull your vehicle right up to a table, so it was very easy to get our lunch items out (cooler, picnic basket & one more picnic bag with food).

Write a ReviewReviews (1,812)
All reviews
in 85 reviews
"pics"
in 41 reviews

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We had talked about going to see the monument since we live about 5 hours away. It worked out this Labor Day weekend. It was interesting. Beautiful mountain scenery. Navajo vendors surround the monument selling their authentic, handmade jewelry, art & crafts. There was a small trailer selling authentic Navajo food. There is a rustic place to use the restroom. If you are in the area you should go by. The admission is $3 per person which is a good price. No animals allowed. It's a very calming, serene experience. I would return if in the area.

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

First of all, I've read that the monument isn't geographically correct and that it's all in New Mexico. We were there to visit the Four Corners Monument and we saw the Four Corners Monument. Mission accomplished.

We planned to visit the monument as soon as we decided our summer vacation would be a visit to the Utah Mighty 5 NPs, both rims of the Grand Canyon, and the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert. We were going to be nearby so why not? I didn't view it as a detour or calculate the extra distance it would take to get there from Moab, UT to Holbrook, AZ. I mapped out how to get there and figured we'd drive through CO to get to the monument then drive through NM to get to Holbrook. That way we were also spending time in CO and NM even if only on the road with a pit stop in each state for ice cream and gas respectively.

Yes, it's very touristy but go figure, lots of tourists visit. I liked the vendors surrounding the monument because I wanted to take home authentic souvenirs. Lots of parks have souvenirs made in another country. Whether or not our souvenirs were made with materials from other countries, I don't know but they were made by locals. If not, then joke's on me.

I thought that the entrance would be free or would accept the National Parks Pass because its a National Monument. I'm glad I read up on it before we left Moab so I could get cash to pay the fee and buy souvenirs. The monument is in the Navajo Nation and they do charge a fee of $3/person. We were fine with that because we spend more than that on our ridiculous coffee.

We would visit again if doing the same whirlwind tour. The Four Corners Monument may not be a place that you plan a vacation around. It's still an interesting place to see and when there no one gives up the opportunity of taking a picture with their person in four different states at one time, if not on a monument that says they are so. Or do like we did and send each child to one state and spouse to another (see pic).

We visited when there was no problem getting multiple pictures. Everyone was willing to step aside so everyone got some turns. Many of us offered to take pictures of others so whole families could be featured. Many borrowed picture ideas/poses from others. Hopefully you will experience the same and get some creative memories of your visit.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

While it was a little out of the way on our trip to southern Utah, it was the highlight of the day for my small children. The site is well maintained and taken care of.