“Good for a quick stay!”

Quality Inn & Suites of the Sun Cities
Quality Inn & Suites of the Sun Cities
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Surprise
Reviewed February 29, 2012

I stayed at this Quality Inn for one night prior to running the Ragnar Relay Del Sol in late February. The hotel was easy to find, although Greasewood did sneak up on me since it's not a major street.

I arrived around 10pm and the lady at the front desk already had my keys ready to go. I was put in room 211, which happened to be a handicapped room, which was clean and comfortable for my night's stay. The bed and sheets were immaculately clean and I couldn't spot any cleanliness issues in the bathroom either.

The only downside to the room was it overlooked the parking lot. There were some other runners staying in the hotel (and they apparently had an earlier start time than I did!) since they were packing up their van around 4:40a which ended up waking me up, but once I closed the window I couldn't hear any of the outside noise.

The hotel offered a hot breakfast, which was a welcome change from the typical hotel, and also a nice start to my day that would be spent running. Unfortunately, the eggs seemed to be powdered, which I just can't stand, and the home-fried potatoes were chewy. I ended up eating an English muffin, which worked for me. Admittedly, I'm very, very picky with my eggs, so they may be fine for most people.

The only other down side to the hotel, and I'll echo the sentiments of some other reviewers, is their $1.50 safe fee. I will say it was very easy to get the charge removed at check-out, but the practice of charging this fee seems so outdated and unscrupulous to me. This wouldn't necessarily stop me from staying here again, but I do think it makes the hotel look a bit tacky.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed February 23, 2012

Dirty bathroom floor, dirty carpet, holes in the blanket and no sleep due to the noise until 2am. Avoid this hotel at all cost!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank BentTravel
Manager14872, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn & Suites of the Sun Cities, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2012

Dear valued guest,

We do apoligize to hear your stay was unpleasant. Did you report these issues to the front desk, as we were not full at the time we could have moved you to a differant room or even possibly to our sister property across the street. Here at the Quality Inn & Suites we strive to make our guests comfortable and happy as if they were at home. Again we do apoligize but if we are not aware of the situation we can not fix the problem. We hope that if you return to Surprise, AZ. you give us another chance.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

As part of the Choice Hotels family, I knew pretty well what to expect at my first stay at this property, but I encountered several surprises in Surprise. First of all, our room carpet was dirty enough that I laid an extra towel down as a bathmat when I was shaving at the sink. The hot breakfast did have a variety of foods, but was the same menu day after day and varied only when they ran out of something: bacon disappeared on day two, biscuits and gravy on the third day, and yogurt on day four. I'd hate think how much there would be left if we'd stayed longer! Lastly, I was Surprised by the $1.50 a day charge for the room safe. Come on, do they need the extra income that badly that they have to tack on a charge for the room safe?

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Dub1955
Reviewed February 8, 2012

I chose this hotel for the location and price as it was convenient for me to visit a distributor of mine. The service was great, very friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Nothing fancy about this place, but I couldn't really find anything wrong with it either.

The only thing I wasn't very pleased about was that they told me they charge my credit card a daily fee for use of the safe in the rooms in case I decide to use it. They explained that when I checked out, I can tell them if I didn't use it and they would credit my account. I've never heard of this policy in any hotel I've ever stayed at. When I questioned the policy and told them I would not be using it, they agreed to not charge me the fees. It was only $1.50 a day, but I really hate when I have to wait or fight for credits to my account or when they charge me for no reason.

I didn't eat breakfast here so I can't tell you how the food was. There is a pool table on the second floor which was pretty cool for a hotel. If I had someone to play with, I would have.

The location was convenient. Several places to eat within walking distance (fast food) but also plenty of choices within a short drive.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Our family has stayed here twice while visiting relatives-- and we'll return again. Our suite was large with separate living and sleeping areas (though no separating door exists). Room is clean and comfortable. Breakfast is generous-- with eggs, bacon/sausage, waffles, yogurt, cereals, juices, etc. The indoor pool and hot tub is clean and reasonably warm. This is an older property that's had a facelift.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 25, 2012

We thought we were booking a room for one night, and this cheap, clean motel looked like a good spot. It turned out to be better than good, and we wound up coming back for 6 of our 8 nights in Arizona. The rooms (and we did switch often) were all comfortable and well maintained as were the amenities, including the indoor, heated pool. The breakfasts featured plentiful selections and we were never hurried through it. There was an area for sitting outside, and the motel was convenient to shopping and restaurants, including Archie's Deli, which was superb. We stayed at another Quality in Flagstaff for one night that was not as nice, and were happy to return to our find in Surprise.

Room Tip: We stayed in both front and back rooms and didn't really notice a difference since there's n...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 13, 2012

I stayed here right befor New Years and at $60 per night it was the Lowest available Rate in the Area.
Property was clean and well maintained. Lobby had a Computer with Internet for Guests use,Complementary Hot Breakfast area that Had scrambled eggs,sausage,potatoes,waffles and normal cold breakfast items. Hotel also has a large Indoor heated pool and wirlpool that I really enjoyed using during my stay. The excersise room was a disapointment with only a old treadmill and elliptical and bike.
The room I had was called a suite and in the area where you enter the room had a one person sofa bed and table for two and then a counter with coffemaker,under the counter refrig and microwave. Moving into the room the bathroom was off to the side and then the bedroom area with flat screen TV and a computer desk and chair next to it. Free internet is available in the room. The bed was not as comfortable as others I have recently stayed and the pillows were half size for some reason. Still considering the price it was acceptable and I had no real complaint. Just befor midnight the phone in my room woke me from a deep sleep and when I picked it up no one was there. Went back to sleep and was woken again at 12:30am with alot of noise from the Hallway that kept going on and on. I went to check and their were three ball players in the hall. two were filling a cooler with ice from the Ice machine and another talking on his cell phone. I just looked at them and one I belive who was drunk gave me a cold stare and Said WHAT? I said the noise woke me and I was checking to see what was up. He continued to Stare like he wanted to fight and then one of the others said were just getting some Ice and were almost done. Not wanting a confrontation I went back in my room and tried to go back to sleep. I considered calling the front desk and should have but just wanted to sleep. The noise from ice machine went on and off for the next 10-15 mins atleast.
I found it hard to get back to a good sleep after that so I did not get a goods nights rest.
I won't blame the Hotel for a few bad guests and if it was not for these guests I'm sure I would have had a good nights rest.
I am concerened however as I see another reviewer has experienced noisy guests at this hotel as well. On the one hand I think this hotel offers a good value for the price but a good nights sleep is important to me as well. I will pay alittle more next time and hope for a more considerate class of guests.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank JtravelAZ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Surprise
Days Inn & Suites Surprise
Windmill Suites in Surprise
Comfort Inn & Suites Surprise
Quality Inn & Suites Phoenix NW-Sun City
Residence Inn Phoenix NW/Surprise
Holiday Inn Express Surprise

Been to Quality Inn & Suites of the Sun Cities? Share your experiences!