“holy cow, NOT !!!!”

Jim's Burgers & Eggs
Ranked #57 of 192 Restaurants in Surprise
Cuisines: American
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Remember the broohaha caused by Amy's Baking Company? These people are worse! I live close by so my family and I stopped in on a saturday morning for a midmorning breaksfast I had heard it was decent and they were robbed a while back, so it seemed like a place worth visiting. The line was about 5 people deep, not too bad. When I got up to the counter to order, a middle aged lady (later we found out she was the owner's wife) was yelling and berating one of the young servers for a perceived slight. Unprofessional to say the least and it made me really uncomfortable. We placed our order for a sandwich, omelet, waffle and french toast. The place is small so we had to wait a bit for a table. We found one a few minutes later and I went to fill up my coffee mug. They only had artificial creamer so I asked a busser for some milk. He was a nice young kid and went to ask Jim, ho was frying eggs for some actual milk. It seemed like Jim lost his mind a little at that point. He literally jumped around in the open kitchen area, waiving his arms in the air, looking for a milk jug. I thanked him for the milk and he flat out ignored me and went back to grilling. We sat down and waited for our food. And waited . And waited. 45 minutes in my husband went to ask the owner's wife what had happened to our food and was told "well, it will be at least an hour wait". Hmmm. There were maybe 30 people in this place tops and it takes an hour to make some eggs? An hour and 5 minutes later our food comes out, in thee separate deliveries. The waffle was burnt. The french toast was soggy and sloppy and not in a good way. My veggie omelet was made with artificial cheese product, which they hadn't even bothered to melt completely since it was slapped on top of the omelet in squares This is when it gets interesting. My husband's sandwich was so dry it was inedible. So he went up to the counter. The owners' wife started yelling at him, saying "what did you order, what was it?" He told her "it's right in front of your face, here is the plate". She then started yelling "well that is what you get when you order a sandwich without mayo and dry". He told her that he didn't special order anything, it was ordered right off the menu. She didn't offer to remake it, just kept screaming at him. At that point he calmly told her "look, this food is terrible and I would like a refund for this item" Then Jim started screaming at him "my food is not terrible, your brain is terrible!". The poor young waitstaff stood around, shocked and embarrassed. We were so shocked that we just left. An hour later, I was in the bathroom with stomach cramps from this food. This experience put a damper on what should have been a lovely morning of shopping. My guess is that the only reason this place is still open is because we are out in the middle of nowhere and until the mall opens, they are the only game in town. But please, Nicks' diner, although not exactly gourmet, knocks the socks off this place. If you want to have a terrible breakfast, wait hours or more for your food and get a slew of insults for free with your order, this is the place for you. I am waiting for Gordon Ramsey or the yelp community to catch on to this restaurant, it should be fun to watch how they react to another complaining customer.

4  Thank thekremers

Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

As we walked through the entrance, we were looked at like we were aliens. No hello, or smiles on the employees faces...just blank stares. It was obvious we have never been there before, as we looked arpund to see what we needed to do (keep in mind we were the only people there). We realized fairly quick, we order at the counter, but it would have been nice if someone said something to us. We watched the tvs as we waited for our order. Food took about 20 min, and was served, and prepared perfectly. The staff did not converse with each other, and didn't appear to be enjoying their jobs. Too bad someone can't give the place a little personality, because the food was actually pretty good. We especially liked the fries.

1  Thank toughone
Reviewed December 30, 2013

First, the food is ok. Chili on the fries seemed old and a little burnt. The zucchini sticks are bland. After ordering food for takeout, my husband picked up the food, provided the credit card, and then left. After coming home and eating, my husband receives 2 calls from the restaurant. First they ask if we paid?! Well, that's a little insulting and bad business. They apparently can't find the credit card receipt. Ok, so the cashier messed up and lost it I guess. How would the customer know? So after they drill my husband, they call back a 2nd time saying that the machine must have timed out and if he can come back another time and pay again. Well, as far as we know, everything went thru fine and we won't know for sure until the bank updates it's records which could be a couple days. But what kind of business calls back a customer 2 times after they have made a mistake and ask the customer to come back to pay for something they thought they already paid for? I actually couldn't believe it and thought that one of the employees was trying to fix their own mistake. I called the restaurant back and spoke with the manager Marie and she continued to give me this same song and dance. I was appalled. In essence, she was telling me that I got "free" food so when I come back I should pay for it then since they made the mistake. As far as I know, we paid for it. And why would I ever come back there again for ok food and bad service and management. I've worked in the restaurant business and management for many years and that is such bad business. So instead of fixing their problem, they've lost a customer and may or may not be out the cost of our meal. Really?

3  Thank WandaJ77
Reviewed December 4, 2013

This is the place we go when we want a good burger. Love the mushroom and Swiss and the burger with the fried egg on it. I usually leave the lettuce off if we are taking it home. Gets to soggy. Very friendly staff.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Clean and friendly. Our server very knowledgable. Rib-eye steak with eggs was great. Thank you Nadine

2  Thank Uhhh-mom