“Soooo disappointing...”

Ranked #35 of 198 Restaurants in Surprise
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located at Bell and Reems Roads, we're one of many Macayo's family owned and locally operated restaurants. Happy Hour: a Macayo's Fiesta 3:30-6:30 Mon-Fri When You're Hungry for Tradition! Hours: mon-thu 11-10 ,fri-sat 11-12, sun 8-10:30 am
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Most every other visit has been 100% but this visit was so bad, I had to post. What I thought was a solid dinner choice, turned out to be a disappointing experience which may prevent me from going back at all. We asked for and received seating on the patio but no one mentioned the 5 other parties of loud and obnoxious people. Once seated, we had to ask for the table to be wiped down - not for some salt or a chip or two - I can handle that. No this was sticky, messy looked like it had been turned upside down and rubbed on the floor. So we're seated... and the chips were stale and cold. However, since service was so slow, we finished both bowls out of desperation. Once our first round of drinks arrived (2 happy hour margaritas and 1 tea) it was almost 35 minutes to see the waitress and submit our order. The second round of drinks never arrived, nor the the app or entree's which is why we opted to ask for the manager.... twice. Choosing not to just leave without paying, we waited for the manager to come over. Having explained that we'd been there for almost 2 hours the only thing offered to us was to pay for our tea (and charged full price for the 2 margaritas instead of happy hour prices) and an excuse of a delay in the kitchen (not so, the folks who came in after us were nearly done with their food) and that the waitress was overwhelmed. No vouchers, no effort to retain our business. Have to say - very disappointing from all points. We'll also be contacting their corporate entity as well as this surely can't be allowed to be the new norm for Macayo's.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

4 of us split a pitcher of margaritas and all had different entrees. Of the 4, 3 of us were satisfied and 1 said the food was not what he expected (ordered queso on top of his carnitas, did not expect all the spinach that was blended in). Service was okay but caught mistakes on the bill. No heat at all in the salsa with the chips, but the chips were excellent.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

There are quite a few locations in the Valley of the Sun (Phoenix, Arizona area) and I truly think we have eaten in all of them! Salsa is super, service friendly (almost makes one feel like a family member) and timely but do beware--Macayo's food is addictive! The tortilla soup is perfect in seasoning, cheese crisps with green onions are yummy, other choices equally delicious! In fact, our traditional Christmas dinner features green corn tamales and cheese enchiladas from Macayos. I fear a family revolution if we should ever vary our Christmas menu! However, our favorite meal is their Tostada Del Mundo--oh my! This Mexican food offering is addicting--the taste is just that good! Quite a few times, hubby and I will share it along with a bowl of their tortilla soup which is another family favorite! If you see a Macayos restaurant, pull in, park and head in for Mexican food that will delight you. (I can not be held personally responsible for Macayo addiction, though!)

Reviewed February 3, 2014

We went out here as a family during the holidays. The food was exceptional, and the service was excellent, especially given the hefty needs of a large group our size. Some restaurants are not family friend, but this one definitely is. I would definitely come back here in the furture. I had a great experience!

Reviewed January 8, 2014

The food was good, not overly spicy which is okay with me. The chips and salsa were good. Margarita was not the best. Overall it was on okay place to have a quick dinner.