“If I can do it, you can, too!”
Review of Mooney Falls

Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Supai
More attraction details
Owner description: This waterfall in the Grand Canyon towers higher than the Niagara Falls.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This was my second trip to beautiful Mooney Falls. After the first time six years ago when I was only 62, I was so elated that I could get over my fear of heights and tricky climbs. I thought that since I had done this once I didn't ever have to do it again. But then the opportunity to do this hike and see these spectacular falls came my way again this year. Yes, the descent is a bit scary, but take your time, focus on the moment, relax, and maybe don't look down until you are on the last ladder and a few feet from the bottom. It is all worth it!! (And going back up is so much easier than that initial climb down.)

5  Thank diane1428
"water color"
"worth the effort"
"worth every step"

Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Climb up and down obviously worth it! Not that difficult, just pay attention to what you're doing and where you're climbing, take your time :) pictures don't do this justice. Everyone must experience such an amazing place :)

2  Thank Stephlovesdrake
Reviewed June 14, 2013

If you want to see what is beyond Mooney Falls, there is only one way to do it! I am old, fat, out of shape and afraid of heights, but I wanted to see it all! After climbing Mooney Falls I am convinced there is nothing I can't do!

4  Thank TAB_AL
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Mooney Falls was wonderful and beautiful - all that we expected from reading the reviews prior to going. What I didn't get was just how frightening the descent could be for some, namely me. There were four in our party and we were at the falls around 8:30 a.m. with only 2 hikers ahead of us. My mates didn't have as much of a problem as I did with being scared, but the realization that the only thing between me and a certain fall to death was a chain attached to spikes in the canyon wall made my knees knock. The chain and the canyon wall (steps) were wet from the mist from the fall. The chain was detached in one area. Yes the climb down was worth swimming in the pool and hearing the falls at the bottom, just don't underestimate how challenging the descent is.

1  Thank StellasHoney
See more reviews
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Mooney Falls is one of the five waterfalls in the Havasupai Indian Reservation area (Havasu Falls being the most famous). It's like 3 miles from the Supai Village. From Havasu Falls, we passed by the campground to get to it (about 0.5 hours) . After we passed the campground, the sign to Mooney Falls, and then we came to a dead end even though we saw the top of the falls. While we were scratching our heads, two local dogs came to our rescue: they first came to us, to get our attention, and then walked to the right and sat there. we went there to look and here you are: an entrance of a tunnel cutting through the hill. After going thru two tunnels, there was the climbing down of the cliff wall. I have terrible height phobia and was wondering what to do while watching my friends climbing down one by one. Fortunately, a very nice old lady gave me a push, saying i can do it. So with my friend's help, I DID it!!! Acutally, it wasn't that horrible because the whole climb down, i could hold on to steel chains. and the climbing up wasn't as bad as the down and i could do it myself without any problem. i've tried hiking the very first section of the Angles' Landing in Zion and compared to that, the Mooney climb down is much much better. So if you are fear of height, i would encourage you to try it.

after climbing down, we had lunch and enjoyed about 2 hours there before heading back to havasu again before sunset. mooney is taller than havasu, so the force is greater and we couldn't get as close as havasu. somehow, i think the mooney is as beautiful as havasu and you will regret if you miss this one. the pool there isn't deep enough for swimming though.

we went on a monday and it wasn't that crowded. we've heard that if it were a weekend or holiday, it could take up to an hour just to climb up or down the cliff because it's not wide enough to have two-way traffic.

points to remember: 1) when you see the top of mooney but cant find the way to go down, look to the right for an entrance of a tunnel; 2) dont be scared by the cliff. it's not as scary as you think because you can get hold on steel chains the whole time.

2  Thank YCONWEB