Review Highlights

Laval, Quebec, Canada
Amazing!

Tammy C
via mobile

All reviews mile hike parking lot grand canyon supai village bucket list peach springs pygmy guides small store water shoes small rocks beautiful hike bread wildland trekking long hike hualapai lodge next morning main trail
Reviewed 1 week ago

Well as I was expecting a remote Oasis in the Grand Canyon, it was surprising to see the amount of Campers that were there. Expecting it to be accessible only by a 5 hour hike, but the chopper that ferries travelers in & out contributed to the Congestion... its a victim of its own success I guess... Saw it but would not go back ..

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We spent the most time at this waterfall. The sounds and views were incredible! The water was a little chilly in October but felt good to sore feet and legs after the hike down into the Supai Village.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We travel from Puerto Rico to Havasu Falls and hike in on Oct 28 and hike out next day. Hike in was easy but the hike out was challenging specially going up the hilltop. The place is beautiful! A must see. But please take in mind two things.

1. DO NOT USE MULES AND HORSES!!! They make them go up to that hilltop and carry lots of weight and I didn’t even see they had water for them at the hilltop plus the trail is very difficult for them. It was very sad to see those poor animals all strap to one another and being force to walk all of that trail.

2. WE GOT ROBBED AT THE HILLTOP!!! When we hiked out found out out someone forced our Jeep and stole a lot of things from our luggage including my passport and drivers license. When we looked for someone to report the incident there was no one to take the report. We went to the heliport and ask if they saw something and someone showed us a bag someone found in the middle of the road. A woman named Susie put a tape on the bag and left it at the heliport . Thank God my passport was there.

2  Thank Jeanette G
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Lots of other comments are spot on. Here are some that are not commonly mentioned. We stayed in the lodge so were based in town rather than the campsite.

1.You don't need a guide for the hike into town or to the campgrounds/waterfalls but you may need one to get the permits and arrange mule transport for you or your baggage if you need it.
2. We logged 10 miles each way between the parking lot and the lodge in town, not 8 as everyone states. It is another 2 miles to the campgrounds.
3. The general store in town had pretty reliable hours when we were there and they sell everything. It is a little pricier than up top but not terrible. Most was 2x normal prices. We would not have carried down apples and oranges had we known.
4. If you stay in the lodge, the front reception area with the common fridge is only reliably open mid-day when hikers are arriving. It won't be open when you leave early or get back late after enjoying the waterfalls.
5. If you want the option of flying out rather than hiking out you should end your vacation on a day that the helicopter actually flies.
6. You can't get benadryl easily so make sure you bring some if you need it for allergies (ditto epipen and steroids for severe allergies). We found this out after a wasp sting which thankfully did not set off a bad reaction in a friend with an allergic history.
7. As everyone mentions don't count on eating early at the cafe before you leave, the hours are not reliable and they may not open until 9 am.
8. Neoprene socks with water sandals (with great grips, like the Keen Newports) are the bomb for hiking and walking through the rivers at the bottom of the canyon without getting cold feet or small rocks in your sandals. Also protects you from mule dung which is omnipresent on the upper trails. After wearing them for 2 whole days (washing and drying them at night in between), my feet felt like they they do after a pedicure.
9. The "chutes and ladders" cliffside climb at Mooney falls is scary but doable. Just go slowly and hang onto the chains. Some parents with pre-teens may balk when they see it- we saw some turn around and refuse to let their kids go down.
10. The hike to Beaver Falls is magical. So many changing eco-systems/terrain. Beaver Falls was a delight also. Start early so you can spend more time there. We wandered around a bit and and probably took some of the less traveled trails but they all eventually get there. You can't really get lost if you are definitely on a trail. There are some downloadable trail maps on line that you can find.
11. 3 nights is ideal , so that you get 2 full days to explore and play around after you hike in on day 1 and hike out on day 4.

7  Thank scrappy255
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Havasupi Falls does not disappoint, it is just a beautiful spot and worth the the 10 mile trek. The 8 mile hike to Supai and 2 additional miles to the campground is highly worth the beauty of the Canyon and the Falls. The water is cold and refreshing after a hot hike. Please take plenty of water on the hike as you’ll need every drop. The hike in is moderate but hike out was brutal. I carried my gear in and it was fine but am so glad I paid to helicopter my pack out because it was much harder. One of the best adventures of my life!

3  Thank Krystal E
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Such beautiful country. Be prepared to do a ton of walking and keep your gear and food at a minimum. I was amazed that several people brought coolers and tons of crap down only to turn back around after the trip and bring it all back. Only take what you need and don't worry about all the crap you don't need, just be prepared to enjoy your surroundings. Also, take all of your trash out. It was really frustrating to see all the crap that was left by the tourists and we just expect them to clean up after us. Did a lot of people also grow up not learning how to use a toilet? wtf. I can't imagine going into some of your homes, these people had to clean up after you and it was so gross at times. And to the person who stole my hammock out of the tree while we were out hiking, I hope that you also experience the frustration and annoyance of someone taking from you. Besides these few annoyances the trip was really great. Most people were extremely nice and ranger Frank from Hopi was really nice to chat with. Those who are cleaning the bathrooms and are helpful do appreciate a tip (which I gave), they will also accept food (if it's still good) and fuel but take it to the ranger station on your way out.

3  Thank J S
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

love the place and we are planning to go there next year . last september it was the 1st time we went and we like it very much .

Reviewed October 8, 2018 via mobile

I just returned from a trip down to Havasu. Hiked in and hiked out. Carrying my OWN pack along the way. I witnessed horses being scared of their owner. Tied together to closely to the horse in front of them to even see any terrain in front of them. They are pushed to exhaustion. One paused for a break, but it was not allowed and he was forced to keep going. Other horses are pulled by faster horses, necks extended as far as possible trying to keep up. One horse collapsed at the top. There was no water or resorces along the hike for these horses to stop, not that they would be permitted the time to drink, anyway. If this review stops even one person from going through an outfitter company, or hiring a mule, then I’ll be happy. I’ll keep spreading word to do my part. If it’s important enough to see this beautiful place, go by helicopter or pack your own things out. Please. Save the Havasu horses.

46  Thank ajudkins13
Reviewed September 23, 2018 via mobile

This is an amazing entry point for when you come into the camp, but it is steep and sandy for when you exit.

The waterfall and the pool make an unbelievable swimming experience. There is a lot of room to relax and enjoy your visit for part of the day. Plenty to explore and do.

Reviewed September 17, 2018 via mobile

My friend and I used Pygmy Guides to hike and camp in Havasu Falls. It was hands down the best experience ever. Our guide, Josh, treated us like queens. We were new to hiking and he patiently guided us the entire way. They do everything to ensure your trip is spectacular. If you don’t use them, you’re wasting your time and money. I’d do it agin with them tomorrow if I could. Seriously, this is the only way to go. Thanks, Pygmy and Josh to a lifetime of wonderful memories. I’m forever grateful for the experience!

8  Thank Tia L