“Ideal Destination for Hikers & the Adventurously Curious”

Supai Indian Village
Ranked #6 of 8 things to do in Supai
More attraction details
Owner description: An Indian village in the Havasu Canyon at the end of the Hualapai Trail.
West Coast
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Ideal Destination for Hikers & the Adventurously Curious”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We spent the first night, of 7, at the Rim. Hiked 10 miles down into the Village and then 2 more miles to the Campsites. We camped between the river and the canyon walls. Hard to go wrong. We did scout around to see how close to falling rocks or dying trees we might be. One tree did come crashing down in front of us. Not something unique to the area, just worth knowing when setting up camp in general. The Fern Spring in the center of the campsite has constantly running water and taste good. They have a general store and a restaurant in the village. The selections are limited. I had no use for either, but they are there if needed. There is a strong cell signal in the village but really none around the campsites. Which was fine with me!

We paid to have a mule carry some of our heavier gear. One can skip the hike altogether and take a horse or helicopter. But what fun is that? I could see using a horse or helicopter on the return hike but one should at least experience the hike in on foot. Also, if on a horse only a small pack is allowed. No way to take enough gear to camp if using a horse alone. I got different quotes, but seems the horse is about $60/70 and the helicopter is about 30% more but does not run daily. Children are charged same as adults. On the helicopter one can bring a big enough pack to do some camping.

We went to work with the local school children and help the elderly clean up their yards. I was told the population is 700 but only about 200 live on the reservation. They are missing an opportunity to share their culture and make a few bucks by have some, any, cultural events but at least they have decided not to do the casino thing. It seems there is some real political struggles going on within the Tribe, but for most campers, I suspect that would never come up.

Swimming at the Falls is just wonderful. Also potentially deadly, so do not go directly under them or swim/walk too close above them. People have drowned there! There are very many very safe, deep and shallow, spots to swim

The sweet spot in the weather seems to be early or late in the season.

This place has everything I love in a hike. Specifically the hike to Beaver Falls (more Cascades than Falls). One gets to boulder, climb down the cliff side with the aid of chains at some points and then the terrain changes along the way. Crossing the river (bring water shoes) more bouldering and even arch ways of grape vines.

The first 10 miles from the Rim is not a real difficult hike. and for being so remote, it is good to know that in a real emergency one can get a helicopter out to the hospital from the campground. A real opportunity to expose children, and adults too I guess, to a different culture and appreciation for nature.

Visited May 2013
7 Thank Bentheredunthat

• Polish first
Tempe, Arizona, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Spectacular Experience”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I am confused by reviews leaving one or two stars because Suapai Village was "dirty." It makes me wonder if these people expected a resort and paved roads. Frankly, I was impressed by the fact that the village had all the supplies it did considering everything has to be packed or helicoptered down. As far as the weight of the animals are concerned, anybody from a ranch can tell you that most people keep their "pet" horses too fat. The horses at Supai work everyday. If they were an unhealthy weight I am sure the Indians would adjust their diets as they rely on the animals for packing in supplies. I found the village refreshing. I did not go there to judge people for living a different pace of life. Though their culture is different and they are not expected to flash fake smiles at tourists the way many of us come to expect while on vacation, I found everyone very helpful and even friendly. I mistimed my descent into the canyon, and wound up hiking in the pitch dark. A Navajo on a horse slowed his pace to a trot ahead of me. He did not say so until I approached him and thanked him upon arriving in the village, but I know he slowed down so I could follow the noise of him and his horse into the village. There is nothing unfriendly in actions like that. He saved me from having to spend hours slowly making my way in the dark, or from camping in the rocks. The falls are Outstanding. I won't try to describe them because they are that beautiful especially after working so hard to get to them. The water was just what I needed for my sore body. Make sure to pack more than enough water. Even if you do not expect to drink it all, you can expect to run into hikers on the way up that have run out, and it is always nice to share.

Visited March 2013
6 Thank Laura C
Phoenix, Arizona
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Just deal with it.”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Its very sad, depressing. Below poverty level, obesity, looks like depression. Trash everywhere, and from what I could tell, not hiker trash, but their own trash. A few properties have inhumane conditions for their animals, it can be hard to take. If you are prepared for it, you will be ok.

Visited October 2012
7 Thank kelleyarizona
Westminster, California
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Awesome surrounding!”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This village is surrounded by impressive rock formations. The roads were covered with sand so it could get dusty. The food from the cafe (burgers, burritos, tacos, fry bread) was so so. The general store was pretty good, imho. It even had fresh meat, fruit, and vegetable. There was also a microwave and toaster. Dogs were everywhere but they were not agressive.

Visited September 2012
Sykesville, MD
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Supai, AZ”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

When we entered the village, we were very happy to see the little store there with ice creams and sodas, since we were so hot. The village itself, is not so impressive. Horses and mules on dirt lots, and some of them very thin. I know that they eat something, since the evidence is there, but didn't see what they were eating. I didn't see any evidence of grass fields or anything. It may have been brought down with other supplies from the reservation at the top. The roads are dirt, lots of dogs wandering around. Some tribe members talked to us and were friendly, but many weren't. We were told we had to evacuate from the campgrounds that are 2 miles below the village, but our money was not refunded that we had prepaid for 2 more nights there. We weren't allowed to stay anywhere in the village or above and had to scramble for lodging for 2 more nights. They were using a helicopter to fly people out, but charged $85 a person for it. The ride is 4 minutes long. When we asked about the refund, they said look at the fine print. So beware of evacuation possibilities during monsoon season in AZ. It was a costly evacuation for our Boy Scout troop.

Visited July 2012