“Amazing Breakfasts! Hidden Gem!”
Review of Misty River Cafe - CLOSED

Misty River Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
“Amazing Breakfasts! Hidden Gem!”
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

We were recommended this café by a barman in Napier as we wanted somewhere to stop off between there and Wellington for brunch and boy are we glad we did! We had eggs benedict and mushrooms on toast between us and we can safely say it was the most delicious brunch we've had in NZ. We even had pudding! The lemon cake with yoghurt was to die for, as were the warm white chocolate scones with jam and cream. Oh and excellent coffee too! The staff/owners were also super friendly. Highly recommend this café! 10/10

• Visited April 2014
5 Thank BritishBetty

Upper Hutt
“Lovely Meal”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We booked a table for a small family get together before Christmas and we were not disappointed. The meals were lovely, tasty and very well presented and the staff were very friendly. There seemed to be many regulars at this restaurant, which is always a good sign of consistency. We will definitely pop in again on our way through to the Hawkes Bay.
Try this place it's a treasure.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank maureen55
Wellington, New Zealand
“Misty River Cafe Waipawa”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

If you are ever in Hawkes Bay, definitely visit Misty Café in Waipawa. The food is absolutely delicious, it is made with love and it stands out in the presentation and taste. It is also value for money. My friends and I are never disappointed with the food and drinks. It is the highlight of our get out of town for the weekend trip. I have to say, I have never seen cream out in the open on the counter. If there is something that comes with cream, I have only ever seen it brought out from the kitchen. The cakes are divine, the red velvet cake, the rose petal cake and a new one we had a few weeks ago, coconut and lime, all delicious. Make your own judgements when you visit, you will not be disappointed.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank TriciaVW
“Paradise in Waipawa”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have had breakfast, lunch coffee and cakes when passing through Waipawa on my way to Hastings - the food is stunning - I took my friend in this morning for morning tea - we had carrot cake and the most amazing soft white choc scone with jam and cream - yummy, yummy, yummy
Call in on your way through - Julie and the girls are very friendly - the coffee is divine
What a wonderful place in the Heartland of Aotearoa/New Zealand
My friend and I filled in the visitor book read all of the positive comments.
Kia Kaha Misty River

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Winnifred M
Australia
“Nice cakes and food but service needs to be improved”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

A group of us went to this cafe. Must have been an off day for the owner. She was rude to us, and sort of dismissive. She was bereting a couple of customers. Scary and totally unprofessional we thought. NOt only that, she didn't seem to care that her restaurant had other customers! so we couldn't help over hear her. She was interrogating a poor young man, asking him if he was the chef from local competitor...something like that. He seemed totally taken aback. What I thought was way out of line was the owner started to threaten him....saying " if I find out you are here to copy my recipes, you better watch out..." It seemed obvious t us the guy was out just having a coffee. Not on some kind of witch food hunt as the owner was insinuating. So it seems people that Misty River has two faces. The food yes, it looked great, and tasted ok. The proifessionalism of the owner Julie, unfortunately I give her a zero. These are the facts, she was out of order to be harrassing her customers. She was rude and dismissive to him and the girl he was with. And, even if he was there checking out the competition, isn't that what all businesses do? You don't threaten or bully someone if they are looking at the competition. Take it as a compliment. In my experience even if two chefs cook the same dish, you cannot replicate it exactly the same way, for every chef or cook will have their own way of making it. We also noticed she had lamingtons out on her countertop with fresh creme on them. It was a hot day. I wondered if the creme would go off or if it should be out on the counter to begin with. Misty River your cafe is unique - don't lower the standards by having public disputes it does not do your credibility any favors.

• Visited January 2013