“Stupendous and creative”

Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Mexican, Wine Bar
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

I don't know where the criticism of this place comes from. I found the service excellent, the presentation excellent, the execution excellent and the creativity beyond what one could expect from any smaller restaurant. The brunch was perfect. Well worth the 45 minute drive. Only negative was that I was looking forward to an oyster omelet and they had no oysters!

Reviewed August 11, 2014

This restaurant definitely presents the sort of experience you would expect, in fine restaurant dining. Naturally, with a name like that, I was expecting to be offered some tasty trout, but there wasn't any on the menu. So equally obviously, my first question to the server was concerning the name and the lack of any trout on the menu. She said sometimes they do have trout, but the term "overland trout" refers to bacon!

The atmosphere is rather quiet, and the dining room where I sat has large picture windows looking out at unspoiled mountain scenery. Very nice! The chairs were wood, and very hard, and would be difficult for a person who has shorter legs. I found them barely tolerable. They use real tablecloths. The server was professional and attentive, and acted like she was genuinely happy to have me as a customer. When I told her what I wanted, she said, "Good choice!" That is a tip-off of the way in which the restaurant wants to present itself.

There were only five main courses on the menu. All of them looked tempting, but I do wish there had been more choices. I chose the venison chili. It was quite good. Unfortunately, they offer two kinds of bread (artisan breads) rather than salad, though I would much prefer salad. Being on a law-carb diet, I try to avoid all bread. Fortunately, they do have local sources for their food, and present it as being chosen for its healthfulness. And they use real butter without being asked. When I asked for lemon for my water, she returned with two slices in a little glass of perfect size and shape.

The items on the menu are a little pricey for my budget, so I won't be going back. But by all means, if you have the money, choose this restaurant. And apparently it is a popular place for birdwatchers to dine. So if you go birdwatching there, it's also a good choice. There are many different places to watch birds in the area.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

You know how there are just some places you love to go? The places where you look forward to the ambiance, or the staff, or the food? Overland Trout is that place for me.

We've had several brunches there recently. Somehow the car just drives us there. Don't understand it.

The Hangtown Fry is a one of the kind omelet. It has oysters and bacon. Yes, I said oysters... in an omelet. And it's awesome. I had my dad and mom there last week and they ordered something else. When they tried my omelet, they'd wished they'd ordered it.

They also have one of the best wine lists around.

Highest recommendation.

1  Thank Weston65
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Their food is as boring as their decor. Don't waste your time or gas driving to Overland Trout in Sonoita. Their idea is good - farm to table, but the execution of it falls flat. We have excellent restaurants in Tucson (Hotel Congress to name one), and there's no need to drive 50 miles to eat bland food. If you want to get out of town and have an inventive and thoughtful (and delicious) meal, go to Cafe Roka in Bisbee. Now, that's worth the drive!

1  Thank GrannyTucson
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We called in here on the last leg of our road trip .First impressions were great ,very European .However the food was somewhat lacking! They need a new chef, I feel he is a little out of his depth with the dished he is trying to do .Overall disappointing ,London prices too !

2  Thank spoon2013