“Horseback riding”

Arizona Horseback Experience
Ranked #4 of 8 things to do in Sonoita
More attraction details
Owner description: Guided Trail Rides in the heart of Arizona's Wine Country. Responsive, Energetic, Horses. Spectacular scenic vistas. 3 hr rides, wine tasting rides, full day rides and multiple day pack trips. Experienced and knowledgeable trail guides. Special discunts.
Nekoosa, Wisconsin
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Horseback riding”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

This was our first trip to Houstons riding stables and it was the absolute best! We have been to 3 other places in the Tucson area and I will always go back to Houstons. Bobbi (owner) came out to greet us and was more than friendly. There were 5 of us, my daughter and 3 grandkids. Our guides, Ryan and Lori were the best! They made sure we were having fun and were ok the entire time. I was also very impressed at how well the horses were taken care of and the rest of the staff was so good with the horses and the guests. I can't say enough good about the place!

Visited April 2012
1 Thank maryowi2

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Arizona Horseback Experience brought me to a new level of horsemanship!”
Reviewed April 2, 2012

The story started when my girlfriend and I ventured down to Sonita Az. for the new year at the end 09’. Since we were free New Year’s Day Deborah (an advanced rider) suggested to me (a GREEN HORN) horseback riding. We called Marge and Ron the owners of Arizona Horseback Experience about availability and fortunately they were nice enough to accommodate us. Now myself coming from the NYC area, I figured that the ride would be a follow the leader- sleepy horseback ride (especially it being New Year’s Day). But, how wrong I was, the ride was just Deborah and I for the day and Ron didn’t hold anything back. We rode from morning until dark up into the mountains and back. We both felt this organization was the real deal and we walked away from the adventure not only a little sore but extremely excited about this rare experience.
So, two years later an opportunity to cross the Andes from Argentina to Chile (for advanced riders only) was presented and we really wanted to go but had one problem. My riding ability! At this point, I never rode a horse to an extended trot, cantered or gallop and didn’t know much more about a horse than were the food went in and were the food came out. This is when Deborah suggested that I go out to Arizona and train with Ron. Ron started my training with a long conversation in the morning to obtain a full understanding of my riding ability, mind set and conditioning. After that Ron taught me how to prep and care for a horse, point out what a horse is capable of and how to read the animal, what to look for while riding in the wilderness, how to trot, canter, and gallop by riding, riding and riding. The end result was that I trained with Ron for a total of six days never riding the same trail twice, a rode five different horses, rode through a variety of challenging terrain and climate conditions which gave me the confidence that I needed to move forward with our up and coming trip.
The trip in Argentina was fantastic with very experienced riders from all over the world. The situation was a little intimidating for me but I felt I had all the tools I needed to make it through the trip. After the first day of riding to a walk/trot up and down the mountains and cantering/galloping on the flats, I felt great. As the trip went on, l heard comments like “what age, as a child did you start riding?” and all I could think is “Thanks Ron and Marge”

John Kennedy

80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“We never went”
Reviewed January 20, 2012

We made a reservation with this company. We are both fairly experienced riders, but they wouldn't take us (after taking our reservation) because we aren't sure we can mount without assistance or a mounting block. We are both 65 years old and it depends on the height of the horse and the stirrups if we can pull ourselves up. We are very disappointed.

Visited January 2012
6 Thank contradancer
Warsaw, Indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Essential part of our trip!”
Reviewed December 17, 2011

I have ridden at Arizona Horseback Adventures the past four years. I have been riding for about fifty years and own two horses.
I have always enjoyed riding with Ron and his crew. I usually ride with my husband or friends who are basically very green. Ron and Marge do a great job of matching ability levels and rider sizes with the proper horse. They have to do what's best for both rider and horse and there is a reason for every rule they have. I am planning to return again this year.

Visited January 2011
1 Thank Holly Y
Wake Forest, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Made our 29th Anniversary Vacation Exciting & Memorable!”
Reviewed September 27, 2011

My husband and I celebrated our 29th anniversary with a week spent horseback riding and exploring the area around Sonoita, AZ with Arizona Horseback Experience. We rode a total of 4 days. This included one day of horsemanship lessons, a couple of days riding to different scenic areas, and another day riding across the beautiful rolling valleys for a fun morning of wine-tasting at a nearby winery. The cost of each day trip was very reasonable and a good value for the experience overall.

Ron and Marge Izzo, the owners, are the best. They genuinely care about their clients' preferences, safety, and personal riding abilities - and it shows in all they do. I thought it was nice they shared a short prayer before each trip

Ron was our guide all four days. His knowledge of local history made visiting the old mines and homesteads extra interesting, while his trail sense and safety training made me feel comfortable at all times in this beautiful, but unfamiliar environment. I was also very impressed by the regard they have for their horses and dogs. The horses were beautiful, well-cared for, and had distinct personalities. It was quite a treat to ride such quality animals, unlike the nose-to-tail rides we had previously done with other outfitters. And we both fell in love with Scottie the trail dog!

I'm so glad we chose AZ Horseback Experience for our special vacation. We'll always look back on the memories with a smile - and we're already looking forward to another vacation with them next year!

Visited September 2011