“Made our 29th Anniversary Vacation Exciting & Memorable!”

Arizona Horseback Experience
Ranked #4 of 8 things to do in Sonoita
More attraction details
Owner description: Guided Trail Rides in the heart of Arizona's Wine Country. Responsive, Energetic, Horses. Spectacular scenic vistas. 3 hr rides, wine tasting rides, full day rides and multiple day pack trips. Experienced and knowledgeable trail guides. Special discunts.
Reviewed September 27, 2011

My husband and I celebrated our 29th anniversary with a week spent horseback riding and exploring the area around Sonoita, AZ with Arizona Horseback Experience. We rode a total of 4 days. This included one day of horsemanship lessons, a couple of days riding to different scenic areas, and another day riding across the beautiful rolling valleys for a fun morning of wine-tasting at a nearby winery. The cost of each day trip was very reasonable and a good value for the experience overall.

Ron and Marge Izzo, the owners, are the best. They genuinely care about their clients' preferences, safety, and personal riding abilities - and it shows in all they do. I thought it was nice they shared a short prayer before each trip

Ron was our guide all four days. His knowledge of local history made visiting the old mines and homesteads extra interesting, while his trail sense and safety training made me feel comfortable at all times in this beautiful, but unfamiliar environment. I was also very impressed by the regard they have for their horses and dogs. The horses were beautiful, well-cared for, and had distinct personalities. It was quite a treat to ride such quality animals, unlike the nose-to-tail rides we had previously done with other outfitters. And we both fell in love with Scottie the trail dog!

I'm so glad we chose AZ Horseback Experience for our special vacation. We'll always look back on the memories with a smile - and we're already looking forward to another vacation with them next year!

Reviewed August 31, 2011

My wife, brother in-law, his wife, and I did the 3 hour trail ride with AZ Horseback Experience. This was real horseback riding on actual ranch horses! You had to actively control your horse throughout the entire ride. It’s not like most touristy places where you get a really tame horse that is on automatic during the whole ride. The ride begins with a hands-on 15 minute tutorial of how to control your horse, such as turning, slowing down, stopping, speeding up, etc. I rode Joshua, who liked to bite the butt of the horse in front of us! So I had to always pay attention and correct if we got to close. My wife rode and fell in love with Ezekiel, who is a beautifully gentle horse that treated her well. Then two of the guides, Ron and Joel (I think), led us on an amazing tour through the Arizona countryside, up and down hills, across riverbeds, all with amazing views of the mountains and other beautiful desert scenery. It was a truly authentic horseback riding experience.

Despite the adventurous rugged experience, we were definitely in good hands. It was near 100deg on the day we went out, and my wife was unfortunate enough to not stay hydrated before and during the ride, so she actually came down with a pretty bad heat stroke halfway through the ride, at the furthest distance from any civilization! Ron called back to the ranch, and within 20 minutes Marge came to the rescue with a 4x4. They had extra water, a wet towel, and rushed her back to the ranch. Joel, who stayed back with us, was in constant phone contact during their drive back. Once my wife returned back to the ranch, they monitored her condition as she rested up, ready to call for medical assistance if necessary. Luckily, she quickly improved once she was back in air conditioning and rehydrated. I felt very happy and relieved with how they handled the situation, so while she hung out playing with the dogs and cats back at the ranch, Joel led the 3 of us back on horseback and we were able to enjoy the rest of the ride. Ron met us on our way back, and played some soothing old Western harmonica tunes was we enjoyed the end of our day.

I’d recommend this place to anyone, much more so than the typical touristy places in Tucson. It’s well worth the drive to Sonoita for an authentic experience!

Reviewed April 10, 2011

This is the 2nd trip we have taken to come down and ride with AZ Horseback Experience. We came down in late Feb for the weekend and took a day ride with Mark. We had a wonderful time and got to see very enjoyable scenary. We had very sound horses. We had such a great time we booked a trip again for This weekend - April 9th. My boyfriend ( now fiance) actually proposed to me while on this ride. We did another day trip with Mark and were accompanied by 2 other riders. My fiance thought it would be very romantic to propose while on this ride with beautiful scenary. AZ horseback experience accomodated him to be able to chose the place he proposed and brought us a bottle of wine to help celebrate the special moment. I would definately recommend using them again. People need to remember horses are animals and may always need to be disciplined while being ridden. One should not judge a ride based on what a guide is doing to keep his riders safe. We at no time felt in danger or unsafe being on the ride. Please consider using AZ horseback experience for a very memorable ride

Amy and Forrest

Reviewed March 5, 2011

My wife and I raise and show quarter horses in Wisconsin and sorely miss outside riding in the long frigid winters. We went on-line and found Ron Izzo's "Arizona Horseback Experience" and decided to give his 'all day' ride a try while we were in the Tucson area. What a trip! He tailors each ride to the experience level of his guests and keeps the groups to two or three riders. He was our guide and we had a great time. He not only is a very safe and experienced horseman, but was a terrific spokesman for the region as well. While on the ride he pointed out old gold-mining claims, sites where famous movies were filmed and was a wealth of knowledge about the region. Also, we are very particular about the health of the horses we ride and have been to ranches where we refused to ride after seeing the ill condition of the horses. Ron's horses were fit, healthy and seemed to love the trails. To sum up, we had a great time at Arizona Horseback Experience and are planning on returning next winter. S. Falk

Reviewed March 5, 2011

My wife and I just returned from a trip to Arizona.One of the highlights of our trip was a horseback riding adventure.We were welcomed by Marg and Ron Izzo at their ranch AE Arizona Horseback Experience.The scenery was amazing and the time spent there with these hospitable people was wonderful.don't miss this opportunity if you are in the area as I will sure to be back there next year.Mike and Deb Ontario Canada

1  Thank chevy1955