“Excellent, if on a room sale(v pricey otherwise)”

Premier Inn Cambridge North (Girton) Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Girton
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Excellent, if on a room sale(v pricey otherwise)”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Very near centre of Cambridge & on a good bus route.bus stop right outside.Also cheaper to get taxi back to.
Usual good quality room, beds,shower, facilities.Only gripe was that we would have liked 2 comfy chairs in room, not the 1.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
Rotherham
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is a small Premier but lacked none of the comforts. The room was spacious, warm, very clean, and was to the standards expected from a Premier. The reception staff were welcoming, informative and helpful. We ate in the adjoining Flaming Grill and had tasty meals and a great breakfast.

It is sitatued very close to a bus stop into Cambridge and the reception staff were able to advise on bus times. We will definitely be returning to this hotel again.

Room Tip: A helpful tip - can recommend this hotel wholeheartedly!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Southport
Reviewed March 11, 2013

From the moment we arrived until we left the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. We needed a late check-out so that we could shower after running in the Cambridge half-marathon. This was no problem. The room was a good size, clean and comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We regularly stay at Premier Inn as or preferred hotel in the UK. This one is the smallest i.e. fewest rooms I have ever stayed in.

We checked in fine and the room was fine up to the standards we expect.

We met with other members of our group in the restaurant for dinner we were on the 'meal deal' so had a limited choice but that is usually OK. On this occasion the service was poor and slow even though it was not particularly busy. The starters were adequate but the flavours bland. The real problem was the mains which were a very long time in coming and only just warm enough to serve in my opinion. One of our party tried to eat his but found it virtually inedible. We complained and an adjustment was made to our drinks bill but overall it was a disappointing meal if we stay at PI in Cambridge again we will go to the bigger one and hope it tries harder to meet customer expectations.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I really can't praise premier inn highly enough, this was another great overnight stay.
I stayed with my husband and 2 small children, the room couldn't be any better lots of space, lots of sockets, dimmer lights all these little things add up to a pleasant stay.

Food in the restaurant next door lovely and great menu for the kids too, only gripe with the restaurant was they wouldn't accept my discount card for breakfast, which was a slow process with only one team member working !!

I would stay at premier inn every time , always a consistency in service and the you know you can guarantee cleanliness and a place to eat next door.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Good situation- only 15 mins walk from centre of City. Good bus service nearby. Comfortable beds, clean and tidy. Only gripe was flashing light on smoke alarm pointing toward pillows rather than away from them. Should be easy to sort by maintenance team.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mary K
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I had a one night stay at this hotel free of charge under the Great Night Giveaway so any way you look at it it was a bargain. This is a small hotel with only 21 rooms, and is an older property. Unlike the newer PIs I've been to, this one didn't have automated machine check-in, and the doors were opened with actual keys rather than magnetic swipecards.

On the whole I thought this was a good hotel. The reception staff were cheery, the hotel itself is well-furnished and well-maintained. The room and bathroom were clean and reasonably spacious and with all the usual PI furnishings (cupboard, side sofa, table and chair, coffee-making facilities and surprisingly, a large flat-screen TV!).

One downside is the location, as it is rather far to walk to the city centre (maybe 20-30 minutes) and apart from the restaurant attached to the hotel, there is no other food and beverage outlet within reasonable walking distance. This means either one has to eat at the attached restaurant or take a bus down to the centre, which is a bit of a drag for early breakfasts or late dinners.

Another problem I found was that the walls are quite thin, probably because it is an older property. I have lived in an apartment in a busy city all my life and am usually not bothered by noise (I am also not a light sleeper at all) but was woken up once or twice by the sound of doors slamming. I could also hear people talking and laughing as they walked past my door past midnight. While this didn't disrupt my sleep much, it was not the most pleasant and light sleepers would have more trouble than I did. I was in Room 2, which is on the ground floor, so I would recommend asking for a room on the upper level near the end of the corridor to avoid unnecessary noise.

On the whole, this is a nice hotel to stay in for a day or two and is quite conveniently located for the city centre, but I would think twice about staying here for longer stays because of location and lack of food. Also, as the hotel is small, prices can go up quite quickly when there are few rooms left - my night was free, but the price I would have paid would be £71, which is quite high.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floor at the end of the corridor should be quieter
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank effloresce
Also consider these accommodations in or near Girton
Premier Inn Cambridge City East Hotel
#13 of 36 in Cambridge
Ibis Cambridge Central Station
Travelodge Newmarket Road Cambridge
Travelodge Cambridge Orchard Park

Been to Premier Inn Cambridge North (Girton) Hotel? Share your experiences!