“Good German Food and great service”
Review of The German Cafe

The German Cafe
Ranked #1 of 133 Restaurants in Sierra Vista
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Authentic German Cuisine & Hospitality Including other International Specialties: Bringing Germany to Sierra Vista, Arizona
Sierra Vista, Arizona
“Good German Food and great service”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We had not tried this restaurant since its change in ownership and I was craving a schnitzel so we went in. Just our luck, Thursday was Schnitzel Night and all styles of schnitzel were priced at $11.99 for the dinner. My wife decided on their Hungarian Goulash with a side salad and loved it, not overly spicy but great flavor. I had the Onion Creme sauce Schnitzel with German Potato Salad and red cabbage. It's a pork schnitzel rather than veal and so it was al little less tender than usual, but still tasty. There is a very large selection of traditional German food available, including smoked pork chops (Kassler Rippchen), large German style meatballs, and of course several types of wurst. We split a piece of Black Forest Cake with a cup of good coffee and it was very good. Service was friendly and the food, made from scratch, came punctually. Prices are a little bit high for dinner in Sierra Vista, but worth the money. We will return.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Mike M

Sierra Vista, Arizona
“Always great food and friendly service”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

This little place is a gem. We've been there at least 6-8 times. Not fancy. But the food is wonderful. I'm comparing to German restaurants in Milwaukee and Chicago.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank BBBeachLover
“Schmect!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

I really enjoy eating the authentic German food served at this restaurant. I love the cute coziness of the dining room.
Sometimes the servers seem to be under-trained or over-whelmed. I don't like it when the cook SCREAMS their names.
The immature attitude takes away from what could be a fine dining experience.

4 Thank managerCWSV
Tucson Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 3,147 helpful votes
“No more "gemutlichkeit". Bye "you guys" !”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Oh dear !!!

On such beautiful days, it is so relaxing and pleasant to take a country road to somewhere, and at its end, have a great lunch in a nice place. This was not the case this time. We drove down to Sierra Vista with great anticipation, as we had been here before, and loved it. After poking around some shops and the Visitor Center, we went to have lunch at the German Cafe about 1:15 on Friday 2/28. We arrived and the restaurant was half full, and almost everyone was towards finishing their meal. The atmosphere was as we remembered it. Small hole in the wall restaurant, but charmingly decorated.

We barely sat down, when our waiter asked for a drink order, " Can I get "you guys" a drink?" We asked for water, and waited for six minutes for it to arrive (I time things !). There were two waiters on the premises, both not busy at that moment. We gave our orders, potato pancakes for me, and Jagerschnitzel for my husband. Now, those potato pancakes are still the very best I have ever had in any of the Western states. They are just perfect; the taste, seasonings, their size, texture, color, and perfectly crispy. My husband was very happy with his selection as well. It had lots of mushrooms on top, and I shared some of those, as I love mushrooms.

So, our meals and German beer were brought to the table, and we settled into eating this delicious lunch. We were relaxed and happy, carrying on a conversation and eating slowly. (They do not close between lunch and dinner.) "You guys" came up to our table 8 times to check, and of course, every single time we were "you guys". What is this? We are eating, conversing and having a relaxing time. We are not waving our hand, looking about, or sitting with our hands folded. This is a small place. Be ALERT !!!! This waiter's intrusions and interruptions became so annoying, that instead of having a relaxing lunch, we had a most stressful one.

Worst was, when we were not even half way through, he comes over and interrupts to say, "Do "you guys" want me to bring "you guys" boxes, so you can box this up?" My goodness.......................................we are quietly eating our lunch, what's with that? We both had forks in our hands. We are talking. It's incomprehensible how someone can be so disrespectful in interrupting and addressing paying customers this way.

We kept track of this "you guys" business, and our waiter used it on us eight times, and the other waiter said it to us once. We had not yet finished eating, when our server dropped the bill on our table. No "would you like dessert or coffee?" no "thank you", no "whenever you're ready", nothing. Just dropped the greasy bill, and then, this type of server expects to be tipped?

We have never ever had this "you guys" business come up in the last years in any restaurant we went to. In New England, they would be appalled at this type of address.

So, the food was excellent. German background music has been discontinued (something we enjoyed in this German restaurant!) and it has been replaced by a local radio station (popular music, talk and commercials...............something we can listen to in the car, if we wish!) Worst of all, the service was annoying, intrusive, interruptive, discourteous and rude.

Out of 115 reviews, I have given a one "star" to only 9 places. Unfortunately, this is the tenth.

We raved about this place to everyone we knew. Now, we say, "Bye "you guys", as we will never come again.

9 Thank NYU62
Los Angeles, California
“Best German Restaurant in a Hundred Miles”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

It's not the location (on a side street), the ambiance or the price (a shade high for everyday) but...Wow...do they have the business! My wife and I enjoyed our meals completely. I would call them what we would expect if we visited Germany, not the haughty cuisine of a premium ethnic restaurant (like those are easy to find). Good food in an unexpected location.

1 Thank oldcartours