“Excellent food, great hosts”
Review of Outside Inn

Outside Inn
Ranked #8 of 133 Restaurants in Sierra Vista
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Arizona
“Excellent food, great hosts”
Reviewed August 20, 2010

A small family owned place where the quality of food is always fresh and excellent. The chef tries new soups and specials so as to create variety. Desserts are homemade and wonderful--although they vary as well. One secret--if you want a real lunch, including fresh seafood, complete with soup or salad for $10 this is the place!

(Note one reviewer stated there were only 7 tables. They were obviously referring to the front dining area--there is a back room of full of tables.)

1 Thank Finediner17

North Carolina
“Service, ambience and food were great”
Reviewed June 12, 2010

The last time we ate here several years ago, it wasn't a good experience. But since then, I've heard some good things about the place. So hubby and I decided to celebrate our anniversary here last night. We had reservations and arrived a little early but we were seated right away.

First off, the dining room consists of just 7 tables. They probably could fit a few more in but then, it would be impossible to have a private conversation with your dinner partner. I appreciate that the restaurant gives their guests personal space.

Both our wines arrived a little warm. My pinot grigio would have been better if it had been chilled slightly. My husband's merlot needed to breathe a little more too.

My house salad with the bleu cheese vinaigrette was more than enough for one serving. I liked it except for the shredded radishes. Since they were shredded, it was difficult to separate them from the salad. I didn't finish an otherwise good salad. My husband's caesar salad was also more than enough for one person.

Our entrees arrived within 20 minutes of ordering then. My pecan spiced scallops were cooked perfectly and simply delicious. The risotto was also cooked perfectly but the broccoli was a little underdone and flavorless. My husband ordered the surf and turf. It's a huge meal and after the big salad he had, he couldn't finish it all. The lobster was sweet and cooked exactly right while the steak filet was cooked medium rare the way he likes it. This was a truly delicious and enjoyable meal.

We ordered the chocolate mousse to share. It was a little disappointing. It didn't have a strong chocolate flavor that I like in a mousse. The whipped cream tasted artificial and had a slightly grainy texture. I didn't finish it.

Service was pleasant and efficient. Our waitress was helpful with questions and seemed knowledgeable about the menu and wines. When she gave us our check, she also asked us to fill out a small journal about our dining experience. In looking through it, I read some of the mostly positive experiences of other diners. It's the first time we've ever been asked to do that in a restaurant before.

Our total dinner bill came to a little over $80. We didn't order an appetizer, we shared dessert and we only had one glass of wine each. I think the prices are appropriate for the service and food that we got. We enjoyed the relaxed and comfortable atmosphere of the restaurant and had a really nice anniversary dinner. We will definitely come back.

Green Valley, Arizona
“Great restaurant in area.”
Reviewed April 4, 2010

Enjoyable service, very good food, reasonably priced, nice ambiance.

Arizona
“go with seafood and dessert”
Reviewed March 26, 2010

The food does seem to be a bit overpriced for the quality. They do seafood very well. However, we had six at our table and both chicken dishes were very dry and the steaks were overcooked. The filet mignon and stuffed lobster were good. We also very much loved the cheese and fruit platter. Our favorite part of the evening was the amazing flourless chocolate torte, that definitely made the trip worth it. We will be going back for the torte. It was absolutely amazing!!

giorgio72
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Ridiculous”
Reviewed March 16, 2010

Heard all the "hubbub" and decided to give it a try. Ambiance is OK, they do try, though it has the acoustics of a locker room and the decor of a Motel 6 lobby.

"European flair"? Only way to say that is if one has not spent much (any?) time in Europe. "Formal"? Yes, in comparison to WalMart, it IS formal. T-shirts and ball caps readily visible. "Nouveau"? Yes, if by nouveau one means plain and poorly made. There is nothing new or special about it.

Started with a salad. The cheapest most taste free lettuce and smattering of cheap veggies with a nearly undigestible Roquefort dressing...tasting it hours later. The main course was supposed to be fish and chips and my wife had salmon patties.

The fish and chips were so obviously frozen that I expected a white bearded guy in a yellow rain suit to come out any second touting the merits (or lack thereof) of Morton's! You know, where all three are the exact same fake shape with a 1/4" of impossibly smooth-textured fake batter covering them. Could not even eat half of one fish "fillet". Too much energy apparently to use fresh frozen fish and a home made batter and it is a pipe dream to expect fresh fish.

The fries were quite likely frozen, but then so are McDonald's fries. Unlike here, Ol' Ronald at least can make fries decently and believe me I am no fan!

The salmon patties were so obviously canned salmon (similar to what I sometimes feed my cats) which is easy to discern by the texture and readily differentiated from the irregular texture of true hand made as to be laughable. And you cannot use small frozen fresh fillets of salmon to make your patties?!

The fact people think it is good demonstrates a few things: a) Sierra Vista has a total of zero higher quality restaurants; b) these reviewers are not accustomed to genuine 4 or 5 star (or even true 3 star) food and a drive past the always full fast food joints and poor "mom and pop" joints prove the citizenry are not very particular; and, c) oh heck, I lack the proper negative hyperbole for a third.

Sadly, there are not even any alternatives to suggest. Adobe Inn used to be suprisingly good food though the serving staff was a bit undertrained despite making big efforts. The chef and kitchen staff were really something.

1 Thank giorgio72