“A break from the SV chains”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mesquite Tree Restaurant - CLOSED

Mesquite Tree Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Aberdeen, North Carolina
“A break from the SV chains”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

I decided to look into this place after hearing a lot of great reviews from friends and acquaintances. Internet reviews were mostly split between "excellent" and "not worth it". As someone who was craving prime rib and who generally dislikes chain establishments, I had to discover this place for myself.

The ambiance is unique, but nothing spectacular. No takeaways here.
Service was warm and welcoming, but not overly attentive.
Wine. We went in knowing we wouldn't be drinking, but the wine list looked decent. The markup appeared to below average for a place in this price range.
Appetizer was above average and reasonably priced.
Salad and bread were average at best. Outback has outdone them here.
Entrees. Prime Rib ($20) and Filet ($25). Outstanding for the area. Very reasonable prices for the quality and quantity.
Dessert. Normal selection and quality for a place in this price range. We had some sort of chocolate calorie bomb that was delicious.

Overall, I'm happy with my visit. There are very few places in the SV area where I would feel like I got a good value after spending around $100 for wine, appetizer, entree, and dessert (for two; didn't have wine, but used average price of a bottle on the list).

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank LAS34

Tucson, Arizona
“Average at best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Lived here for years and finally went to this resturant after hearing great things about it. Well, we went early so the resturant wasn't crowded and we were seated quickly. The service was average at best. The appetizer (stuffed mushrooms) was great. My wife ordered chicken and was happy with that. I ordered steak and there was fat and gristle in every bite - nasty. Neither one of us received a refill on our lemonade. My wife is fairly easy going and she thought it was avaerage at best. I never want to go back there again. Between the service and food - what a waste of money.

Rockies
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

Four of us were seated at a wonderful table and our waiter could not have been more attentive. My wife is a big salad person and more salad and olives were offered (by the way we had a choice of half a dozen salad dressings, so don't know about the prior post). We all had the prime rib which was great. Wine list certainly adequate for a restaurant in a remote area, and it was not marked up excessively. We shared a mud pie and it was excellent as well. We never felt rushed and had a great time.

1 Thank VJMountain
“Won't go back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

Restaurant had about 1/3 of it's tables occupied on a Friday night. The service was slow. After we placed our order it took the waitress 15 min to bring out our salads and bread (not warm). The only dressing available were ranch and oil/vinegar. Both of which lacked taste. Menu prices were on the high side for what we received.

Our two dishes were:
1. Chicken Codon Bleu - The chicken breast was dry and lacked seasoning. The chef then layered it with a chewy piece of ham and a very salty hollandaise sauce. I ordered up the sautéed squash as a side and they were over cooked making them mushy.

2. Chicken Primavera - Small deep bowl containing angel hair pasta, vegetables, and small dices of chicken. The chicken and vegetables appeared to have been cooked much earlier in the night which caused them to be overcooked.

The beverage menu was better than average. Craft beers were $4.50 and domestics were $4. Wine was served by the glass with a good selection of vineyards.

We gave it a try and won't go back.

1 Thank Jstaff83
Syracuse, New York
“Eh...not that bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

Basically, this place used to be the place that the locals would go to avoid the snowbirds and tourists. As the population of Sierra Vista grew, the exclusive - out of the way nature of the place changed to mediocre, over priced bland.