“Decent”

Gateway Studio Suites
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Sierra Vista
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed at the Gateway Studio Suites for 5 weeks while I attended a school at Ft. Huachuca. It is a stone's throw from the Fry Boulevard gate, so the proximity is unbeatable. The stay itself decent, but nothing special. They do serve one free beer per day, and the gym and pool are well kept and clean. The rooms are typical motel rooms with a little extra space and a kitchenette. Everyone in my class, apart from myself, stayed across the way at the Garden Place Suites, which I hear is a newer, upgraded version of Gateway Studio Suites, and for the same military rate. Overall, a nice stay - I have no complaints.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Our family truly enjoyed staying in the Studio Suites. This hotel was a very pleasant surprise because it doesn't look particularly fancy on the outside. We were looking for a larger than normal size room and the rate was very reasonable. The rooms were very clean and the breakfast more than adequate. We also relaxed with a glass of wine or beer on the house when we arrived. The staff at the hotel were extremely helpful and friendly from the moment we called to reserve a room. At no additional charge, we were given a rollaway bed to add to the king size bed and twin sleeper sofa. The greatest compliment we could give is that our stay felt like home. We would definitely revisit this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The room was large and fairly quiet but the pillows were rock hard and the towels were well worn. Breakfast was good and the evening Happy Hour was a nice touch. The staff was accommodating and helpful. Have I reached 200 characters yet in this review?

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank bobbascom
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We are locals here in Sierra Vista and stayed here for our wedding reception. We wanted a place to stay within walking distance of the VFW. We loved the room, the people, the 24 hour pool and jacuzzi. The thing that really sticks out for my husband and I is that we had bought a cheesecake as our wedding cake. We left in the fridge of our room when we checked out. After unloading our vehicle and settling in I realized it. So I gave them a jingle and the housekeepers were gone for the day so the gentleman that answered the phone said he would call us back in the morning after he spoke with the housekeepers. Well, he called us back and they had gone out and bought us a new cheesecake because they had thrown ours away. How awesome is that? These are people with a heart and will go above and beyond for their customers. I recommend the Gateway Studio Suites for you short or long visits to the Sierra Vista area. They also have a great breakfast in the morning. :-)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I only come to Sierra Vista occasionally, and typically when some exercise at the local base fills up the hotels. This time I found this gem, at a very reasonable price compared to all others. Believe it was $83/night, whereas the Marriot brands were sitting at around $160.

Hotel is clean, has a close location to the base, is quiet, and has plenty of parking. Like most things here, it seems to cater to the service men who visit. The staff is noticably friendly, and there seems to be plenty of staff to go around.
As stated in other reviews, my suite had a king bed, a small dividing wall, and a couch which pulls out. I had no problem with the air conditioner maintaining a good temperature. Free wifi was trouble free. Free breakfast was just fine, and the happy hour goes until 9 with first drink free, and subsequent beers at $2 - a deal anywhere. Beers were Michalob brands including Shocktop and a bock - all on tap.
There is a small pool which I didn't use. Kitchenette has frig, microwave, and stove top, but no oven. My only complaint (which tells you how good this place is) was that the bathroom lights and kitchette lights are all controlled by a single switch inside the room door - making it difficult if you have someone still trying to sleep while you shave/etc.
I will definitely plan on staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank frozen-in-MN-US
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We stayed at the Gateway Studio Suites from June 21-June 25th. We were in Sierra Vista to visit my daughter who was at Fort Huachuca for training. The hotel was perfect. Clean. Quiet. Comfortable. Affordable. Close to my daughter's home. Didn't hear a sound at night. Happy hour in the lobby in the evening-a couple different beers on tap and freshly popped popcorn. Breakfast was good. Fairly typical menu kept replenished and the area was spotless. Everyone we encountered was pleasant and friendly. I don't recall our housekeeper's name but she was a sweetheart. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The side facing Fort Huachuca has a good view.