“Just ok”

Ranked #95 of 133 Restaurants in Sierra Vista
Cuisines: American
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

We should have known by the lack of traffic in the store and the parking lot, we were the only ones, that this place was not going to be very good. Gyro meat tasted old and overcooked, the steak sandwich was ok. Baklava also just ok. Greek salad was the highlight, but I asked for no onions and both were piled with them.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Sandwiches were not all that great, seemed overpriced, and the place looked dirty. TV was so loud we couldn't have a conversation. Not a place I want.to go back to.

1  Thank Chickira
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

This was my second visit. Both times the sandwich was great. Fresh bread, large portions at a reasonable price,

Reviewed April 25, 2013

All i am going to say is foor is amazing. Couldnt be happier hard to find great food in such a small town. I will deff be returning over and over. I always say I am going to try something new but i always have the gyro.

Reviewed April 22, 2012

I miss good subs from back east. Subway doesn't cut it, and Sierra Vista has run off eegee's, Blimpies, and Quznos. I have never tried the Sub Shop on Wilcox (sister business to this one), but one of my wife's friends said that the gyros here were as good as My Big Fat Greek Restaurant.

When we went, it was almost 1PM, so the lunch rush was gone. A couple of people were waiting for to-go orders. There were only two staff--one up front and one in back--and I assume the owner/manager was running the register. My wife and I both ordered the steak special combo--8.99 each with fries and a drink.

We were not disappointed. The whole sandwich is pretty large, and there was a large mound of fries each. And it was very good. The steak was actually cooked on a flattop grill and was a high quality (unlike Subway and its crappy microwaved "steak"). It came with peppers, onion, mushrooms, and cheese (lacking only sandwich pepperoni to make a true "steak bomb"), and, somewhat incongruously, lettuce and tomato. But that sandwich was the best steak sandwich I've had in years!!! Beats the Chili's or IHOP version hands down. And the bread was good, and toasted. It held up well...which Subway's bread does not do with a hot sub when not toasted.

I can't speak about any other items. I haven't tried them...and probably won't. Not for any bad reason. I'm just so impressed to find a good steak sub. I don't think even Jimmy's in Bisbee has steak subs.

If you're looking for ambiance...well, it's a sub shop! If you don't know what to expect, then you've never been to Boston, New York, Philly, or Chicago. This place would not be out of place on a corner in those areas. It would probably also serve pizza, too.

I will be back to Sub Standards.