“Quaint little nook”

Hibiscus Coffee and Guesthouse
Guntersville, Alabama
“Quaint little nook”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We just happened upon this wonderful, quiet, little place and we fell in love with it. We have found "our place" to go to and that's what we were looking for. Quaint, cozy, friendly, minimal children, close to beach, wonderful walk to the beach!.... No complaints AT ALL!!!!! Loved it!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's by itself like the "The Big Easy" room. It's a handicap roo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Stephanie V, Manager at Hibiscus Coffee and Guesthouse, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Perfect word selection (In my opinion)
I even thought to myself, when I moved here and took this position, what a ""quaint little nook"" Ive stumbled upon.
I am thrilled to know others feel this when they arrive and leave.
PLEASE come back and see us.
Thanks for the review, we appreciate them all!
Stephanie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Just returned from a short stay at the Hibiscus and I am happy to report my experience. We stayed in the Old Florida room with a nice comfy bed and incredible AC. The whole property is cute and rustic. This isn't a Hampton Inn place. Breakfast and coffee was delicious. The garden of Love was cute. The 30A bike trail is 100 feet away and the beach is about 3 blocks. As before, the property is older so the floors creak a little like Grandma's house. I enjoyed listening to the crickets from the front porch. This is a quiet quant oasis. It's a time machine as well with the feeling of something nostalgic.

Room Tip: The property creaks a little. Sandy feet leave a little sand here and there if either of these are...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
And we LOVE you!
I am so grateful you came to see us and took your time to write a review.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Just returned from a stay at Hibiscus. Overall, we were happy with our stay. I would only recommend staying at the inn if you could secure the Romance room/another room of equal or higher quality. Good vibe, cozy and love the bathroom and big jacuzzi. Breakfast was ok- decent enough. The vintage Florida deco makes for a unique experience (at the cafe and the inn).

There were two downsides to the inn. The staff does not clean the rooms and the general attitude of the manager (Stephanie) was less than appealing. Regarding the rooms being cleaned, maybe it is a Florida thing that hotels/inns don't clean their rooms, but when you are paying approx 200 USD a night, I want my room at least straightened up and the sand and dry seaweed shaken from the bed. Thus, this leads to the attitude of the manager. When we broached this topic with the manager she explained that the inn does not do this, however, she would do it if we requested. We said we'd like it everyday to which her response was "really?" and she proceeded to whine about being the sole individual to clean 12 rooms. Here's the deal: if someone is dropping 200 USD for a room and the manager of all folks whines about not having enough time, workforce, whatever, to clean the room, it's going to turn you off. Big time. When your job is hospitality and you succeed in the exact opposite (making us feel like idiots for evening asking for a basic service), there is a disconnect with inn's approach to customer service.

Overall, I would only recommend the Hibiscus if you a) were able to reserve the Romance Room (or equally/higher quality room) , b) understood the above belabored point on the manager and hospitality.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Stephanie V, Manager at Hibiscus Coffee and Guesthouse, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Hi.
If this is the sweet couple (Abbey and Mike) who I can only assume it is, I am slightly confused.
We were having a candid conversation, so i DEFINITELY apologize if you misunderstood. We laughed and joked and you said you really really liked it all.
Than, when I was cleaning another room, and on my way to yours, you came to the room, to say I didn't need to come clean yours, because you were following words off the chalkboard (Be Considerate and BE Pleased) which certainly made me feel this is how you felt.
I so wish you would have expresses your concerns or distastes with me directly, so I could have addressed them , and done what you ACTUALLY wanted and not what you told me you wanted. It is not actually our policy to come inside the rooms, while you are here, unless you request it, which it states inside the rooms, so I thought I was doing what you needed
I was under the impression we were both talking, not you listening to me whine. Thank you so much for the feedback. I will take ALL feedback from my guests, good and bad. Especially when it comes to what they are feeling and getting from me.
Again, clearly I misunderstood where you both were coming from and I apologize.
Hopefully, you will not hold how you feel about me and my responses, against Hibiscus as a whole.
Please come back and stay with us, and I would be MORE than happy to give you a discount.
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We loved or stay here and the people and food where amazing. We felt comfortable and the rooms where clean. Loved the old claw foot tub. Breakfast was so good and healthy. The chef did a exalent job. The location is amazing. I went for a walk and ended up on the most beautiful beach that felt like my private beach. You can ride bikes on the 30A bike trail and see many amazing places without ever getting in your car. We will defanently go back and stay again. Thanks Stephanie

• Stayed July 2012
YAY!
The owners obviously did something right. My aunt and Uncle own this property, and she was raised in Miami in the 1950's, that;s where the decor and feel come from.
I am so glad that comes across to the guests.
Thanks for your review. Make sure you come back and see us!
Jasper, Georgia
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Stayed here for someone's wedding, and the reception was held in the Backyard of Love. The reception was absolutely stunning and the food was nothing short of phenomenal. Staying at the Hibiscus was convenient and lovely. I wouldn't recommend the room we stayed in, The Turner Room, for light sleepers. Every morning when the staff went into the cafe to begin cooking it woke us up for the day. The plus side of that was that our room smelled of delicious food most of the day. The food at the cafe was so amazing. Started the first day with the special, lobster quiche, was perfect. The second day I had to try to the famous cinnamon roll french toast, and it melted in my mouth! I cannot describe how delicious all of the food is. It does take a long time to get the french toast but it is so absolutely worth it- just sit and enjoy coffee with your companions while you wait.
Getting back to the room, the Turner Room is connected to the main house on the 2nd floor, directly above the cafe. The room is small, very quaint and cute. The bathroom has a clawfoot tub which feels so luxurious at the end of the evening. There is a microwave and mini-fridge in the closet. One of my favorite things were the old-style doorknobs that give an old fashioned sense of comfort.
The Hibiscus is an adorable place to stay, just make sure you get a room away from the cafe if you're a light sleeper. The food is incredible and the whole place is just a great place to hangout and relax. I'm not sure that we'd stay here again, but I would definitely come back to eat and hangout. Great place to host events.

Room Tip: The rooms in the barn have road noise, and the rooms in the house have cafe noise. The Turner room o...
2 Thank KHM1229
, Manager at Hibiscus Coffee and Guesthouse, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thanks so much for your review. I will be forwarding this on to Colin, from Cafe' Hibiscus. He will be THRILLED you were so happy with the food.
I really appreciate all the kind words on the property and you are correct.
I always tell the light sleepers, not to chose rooms in that building, because the Cafe noise is undeniable in the early hours. (But your right, the smell makes me think about staying at Grandmas house, and she just cooked breakfast or dessert)
Please come back and see us, maybe try another room, or another meal?
Thanks again
NW Georgia, USA
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We've stayed here twice and enjoyed it both times. It's both sophisticated (heart pine cabinets with solid countertops) and ironic (lamps and tchotchkes from decades ago). The café is celebrated and offers a varied menu. The cuisine didn't knock me out, but I was grateful for the nutritious and tasty breakfast included with our overnight stay. The mood throughout is beachy--relaxed and casual. The beach is a short walk away, as are dining and cute little shops. (Grayton has no high rise buildings or chain stores.) Like Grayton itself, the Hibiscus isn't cheap, and neither is it uniform. But it's the best lodging choice there. I recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank DRCGeorgia_USA
, Manager at Hibiscus Coffee and Guesthouse, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thank you very much for such a kind review.
You said it perfectly! We have done our best not to enter the highrise generation, and I am so glad you appreciated that!
Wish I could take credit for the yummy food, but thats all Chef Colin Smith.
Come back and see us.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I really wanted to love this B&B, but unfortunately had an extremely unpleasant experience.

On my first night, a huge (two inch) palmetto bug appeared on the side of the wall and scared me half to death! (Redeeming factor: Stephanie, the innkeeper, stopped by and squashed the bugger for me.) And even after multiple sprays of bug repellent, two more appeared the next day and one more the day after that. On the second evening of my stay I heard loud scratching and hissing noises throughout the night. Already scared by the palmettos, my imagination thought it was snakes or some other large bugs. I later learned that there are wild cats roaming around and they sometimes fight...*face plant*.

The only part I loved about the whole stay was the cinnamon bun french toast =) Yummy, yummy! Though, if you are allergic to coconut or just don't like it, please do tell the chef as they put coconut flakes on all their sweet breakfast dishes.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the "Big Easy", I think it's more prone to bugs and whatnot due to it'...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Arrivals_Departures
, Manager at Hibiscus Coffee and Guesthouse, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
OH NO!
The bugs made you hate us???
I am soooooooooooo sorry! I am with you. If I could kill ALL Palmetto bugs, and make cats get along, I would with the snap of my fingers......
Unfortunately, nature will be nature, no matter what us humans think about it.
If you decide to come back and see us, let me buy you breakfast or a cup of coffee.... Even if you hit the area again, for any reason.
At least we were able to laugh about it together, when you were here.
I remember!
The Big Easy is a handicapped accessible room, and does stay empty more often than the others, but not THAT Much more.
Florida is a Palmetto Bug state, especially during the summer, and we are doing all we can to make them exist less and less.
Please accept my sincere apologies, that you left here with such a bad taste in your mouth.
Well, except for the breakfast of course!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grayton Beach
The Beachside Resort
#6 of 48 in Panama City Beach
The Henderson - A Salamander Beach & Spa Resort
Embassy Suites by Hilton Destin - Miramar Beach

Been to Hibiscus Coffee and Guesthouse? Share your experiences!