“A relaxing old world 1950's feel of a B&B in a perfect location on a beautiful beach.”

Hibiscus Coffee and Guesthouse
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We loved or stay here and the people and food where amazing. We felt comfortable and the rooms where clean. Loved the old claw foot tub. Breakfast was so good and healthy. The chef did a exalent job. The location is amazing. I went for a walk and ended up on the most beautiful beach that felt like my private beach. You can ride bikes on the 30A bike trail and see many amazing places without ever getting in your car. We will defanently go back and stay again. Thanks Stephanie

• Stayed: July 2012
Stephanie V, Manager at Hibiscus Coffee and Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

YAY!
The owners obviously did something right. My aunt and Uncle own this property, and she was raised in Miami in the 1950's, that;s where the decor and feel come from.
I am so glad that comes across to the guests.
Thanks for your review. Make sure you come back and see us!

There are newer reviews for Hibiscus Coffee and Guesthouse

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Stayed here for someone's wedding, and the reception was held in the Backyard of Love. The reception was absolutely stunning and the food was nothing short of phenomenal. Staying at the Hibiscus was convenient and lovely. I wouldn't recommend the room we stayed in, The Turner Room, for light sleepers. Every morning when the staff went into the cafe to begin cooking it woke us up for the day. The plus side of that was that our room smelled of delicious food most of the day. The food at the cafe was so amazing. Started the first day with the special, lobster quiche, was perfect. The second day I had to try to the famous cinnamon roll french toast, and it melted in my mouth! I cannot describe how delicious all of the food is. It does take a long time to get the french toast but it is so absolutely worth it- just sit and enjoy coffee with your companions while you wait.
Getting back to the room, the Turner Room is connected to the main house on the 2nd floor, directly above the cafe. The room is small, very quaint and cute. The bathroom has a clawfoot tub which feels so luxurious at the end of the evening. There is a microwave and mini-fridge in the closet. One of my favorite things were the old-style doorknobs that give an old fashioned sense of comfort.
The Hibiscus is an adorable place to stay, just make sure you get a room away from the cafe if you're a light sleeper. The food is incredible and the whole place is just a great place to hangout and relax. I'm not sure that we'd stay here again, but I would definitely come back to eat and hangout. Great place to host events.

Room Tip: The rooms in the barn have road noise, and the rooms in the house have cafe noise. The Turner room o...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KHM1229
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Thanks so much for your review. I will be forwarding this on to Colin, from Cafe' Hibiscus. He will be THRILLED you were so happy with the food.
I really appreciate all the kind words on the property and you are correct.
I always tell the light sleepers, not to chose rooms in that building, because the Cafe noise is undeniable in the early hours. (But your right, the smell makes me think about staying at Grandmas house, and she just cooked breakfast or dessert)
Please come back and see us, maybe try another room, or another meal?
Thanks again

Reviewed July 10, 2012

We've stayed here twice and enjoyed it both times. It's both sophisticated (heart pine cabinets with solid countertops) and ironic (lamps and tchotchkes from decades ago). The café is celebrated and offers a varied menu. The cuisine didn't knock me out, but I was grateful for the nutritious and tasty breakfast included with our overnight stay. The mood throughout is beachy--relaxed and casual. The beach is a short walk away, as are dining and cute little shops. (Grayton has no high rise buildings or chain stores.) Like Grayton itself, the Hibiscus isn't cheap, and neither is it uniform. But it's the best lodging choice there. I recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank DRCGeorgia_USA
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Thank you very much for such a kind review.
You said it perfectly! We have done our best not to enter the highrise generation, and I am so glad you appreciated that!
Wish I could take credit for the yummy food, but thats all Chef Colin Smith.
Come back and see us.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I really wanted to love this B&B, but unfortunately had an extremely unpleasant experience.

On my first night, a huge (two inch) palmetto bug appeared on the side of the wall and scared me half to death! (Redeeming factor: Stephanie, the innkeeper, stopped by and squashed the bugger for me.) And even after multiple sprays of bug repellent, two more appeared the next day and one more the day after that. On the second evening of my stay I heard loud scratching and hissing noises throughout the night. Already scared by the palmettos, my imagination thought it was snakes or some other large bugs. I later learned that there are wild cats roaming around and they sometimes fight...*face plant*.

The only part I loved about the whole stay was the cinnamon bun french toast =) Yummy, yummy! Though, if you are allergic to coconut or just don't like it, please do tell the chef as they put coconut flakes on all their sweet breakfast dishes.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the "Big Easy", I think it's more prone to bugs and whatnot due to it'...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Arrivals_Departures
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

OH NO!
The bugs made you hate us???
I am soooooooooooo sorry! I am with you. If I could kill ALL Palmetto bugs, and make cats get along, I would with the snap of my fingers......
Unfortunately, nature will be nature, no matter what us humans think about it.
If you decide to come back and see us, let me buy you breakfast or a cup of coffee.... Even if you hit the area again, for any reason.
At least we were able to laugh about it together, when you were here.
I remember!
The Big Easy is a handicapped accessible room, and does stay empty more often than the others, but not THAT Much more.
Florida is a Palmetto Bug state, especially during the summer, and we are doing all we can to make them exist less and less.
Please accept my sincere apologies, that you left here with such a bad taste in your mouth.
Well, except for the breakfast of course!

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Loved our stay in the Turner Room. Small, cozy room. Old claw-footed bathtub/shower. Excellent breakfasts and great coffee. Kitschy Old Florida tourist decor in cafe was enjoyable. Enjoyed talking to the folks in the cafe and the other guests. Would highly recommend this place at my favorite beach in the whole world. Old Florida atmosphere, but close enough to plenty of fine restaurants. The beach at the State Park is just lovely as is the beach at Old Grayton. Will go back.

Room Tip: Go to their website to see the rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you SO much for taking the time to come to Trip Advisor and speak of your trip here with us at Hibiscus.....
Please come back and see us : )

Reviewed June 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed two nights at Hibiscus in the Turner Room. It was very clean, cozy and comfortable. The room has a large bathroom (plus good water pressure and hot water) and everything you need - hairdryer, coffeemaker, etc. etc. We didn't have a lot of space to spread out our luggage, but there is a chest of drawers (we just didn't really stay long enough to use them). There is an amazing screened in porch outside the room. This place has tons of character and the gardens are beautiful. Also, breakfast is included. The cafe could not be cuter and the staff was very nice and accommodating. The breakfast was delicious, as was the coffee. I can't wait to stay here again. You do a great job Stephanie!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 29, 2012

Thank you so much for the kind words, and thoughtful review! We appreciate ALL feedback from our guests.
We sure do hope this becomes your "home away from home"

Reviewed May 30, 2012

I Praise and thank the Lord Jesus Christ was allowing me to share in His earthly blessings, through his child - Stephanie. It's was just amazing how we connected over the phone prior to meeting. We happen to meet at the main house the next morning and after a great breakfast with FRESH FRUIT. Our embrace was as if we were reuniting from past visit, very warm and friendly. My brother, John and I (Daisy) are retired military (Army and Navy) and we stayed two nights (Wed & Thur) leading into Memorial Day weekend, a HUGE discount was awarded to us for our service to America. Thank you! I must note that was my first time lately to experience such gratefulness from hotel management. Flat FOUR is an amazing place. I felt right at home with it's unusual decor, clean and spacious. Very relaxing and open atmosphere with honor system. We flew in from the MD/VA/DC/ Metro area. My brother went back to work sharing our welcome to Hibiscus Guesthouse - finding our envelope by name in a slot outside the locked office. Priceless values from my personal core values and the Navy (Honor, Courage and Committment). The 1st day at breakfast, forgetting my purse and the Chef Colin running up to flat 4 to give it back was AWESOME! This was my brother 1st time in the area, he loved it some much that he got his own room as we had additional family that came from Marianna and Tallahassee for over night visit. My sister-in-law due to physical needs were able to get a handicap room, "Big Easy" perfect, perfect!!
That was my first visit but won't be my last time. My name connected with both the Hubiscus Coffe & Guesthouse and the STARBUCKS, walking distance --SWEET!!

A salute to your amazing staff. Keep charging, FULL SPEED AHEAD!

Daisy, Temple Hills, MD

Room Tip: FLAT FOUR is an apartment! Self contained with everything, including washer and dryer with laundry s...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Daisy H
Stephanie V, Manager at Hibiscus Coffee and Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

We love you guys too.
You BETTER come back and see us.
After all, we are family now : )
Thank you soooooooo much for the kind words. I am so grateful for your stay here and what you took home from it.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grayton Beach
The Beachside Resort
#10 of 48 in Panama City Beach
The Henderson - A Salamander Beach & Spa Resort
Residence Inn by Marriott Sandestin at Grand Boulevard

Been to Hibiscus Coffee and Guesthouse? Share your experiences!