All reviewslava flowlava beachshort pathactive volcanowonderful hospitalityuncle robertsthe big islandcrashing waveslava roomnational parkgeckosbackyardadventureravenparadisesuiteshower
Reviewed July 4, 2017

My wife and I had a wonderful experience staying by Ma'ukele lodge. The location is perfectly situated right in front of the ocean, steps away from old lava flow. If you are looking for beauty and adventure this place is it. The attention to detail Raven gives and her standard of care is welcoming and inviting, she had the right balance too of host and friend, we enjoyed both. She makes an exceptional French press coffee too! From our room we hear the beauty of the natural surroundings, from crashing waves to the Hawaiian jungle. Fascinating and calming.

Try and stay in the downstairs Suite, its fit for Morrocan royalty and full of unique personality.

Mark is also a great guy full of so much knowledge of Hawaii and the world. I was lucky to have him open to take me on a hike to see the lava flow. It was truly an unforgettable experience. If he is free and you are lucky to have him take you on the hike, you will have an amazing experience in great company! I know he does other activities and tours and I wish I did more adventures with him. Next time!

Thanks Raven and Mark for taking such good care of us and giving an unforgettable experience no hotel could ever do.

A & B from Los Angeles

• Stayed: May 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank USA P
RavenSlaughter, Owner at Ma'ukele Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2017

Great times with great guests is what we love about Inn Keeping. Our goal is to share the beauty and the simple life of living in a place that is constantly changing accordingly to the Lava flow and the temperament of the ocean fronting the beach house.
Mahalo for sharing the extraordinary experience of living close to active flow of our volcano.
Please visit us again.
with Aloha,
Raven

Reviewed June 19, 2017

Our family stayed in the Hawaiian suite June 7 through June 10, 2017. The setting is absolutely idyllic. The suite was beautiful and spacious. The beds were comfortable and felt like home. We loved the outdoor bath and we are all missing our delicious breakfasts (very, very much). Raven truly made every effort to make our stay just perfect. From Mark's hand drawn maps to make sure we didn't get lost to Raven putting chocolate on our pillows. Every recommendation Mark or Raven made was spot on and made our stay all the better. As we were leaving Hawaii, I asked my son what his favorite part of vacation was. Surprisingly, it was not the helicopter tour or even being able to swim with dolphins. Nor was it the stay at the big hotel with the lazy river and slide. He told me it was staying with Raven and Mark! You can not go wrong staying in this beautiful home with such beautiful people. Thank you Raven and Mark for everything!!

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled with family
2  Thank julescrain
Reviewed May 17, 2017

This is my second stay here within a year and it is incredible as usual! Raven is such a great Hostess and Mark is a great Guy as well! Always a wonderful freshly prepared breakfast and Raven always talks into account that I am an insulin dependent diabetic and prepares a meal suitable for me! The conversations are always interesting and knowledgeable and Mark knows this island very well. Rooms are well furnished and impeccably clean! My wife and I will return again this fall! Love it!!!!!

Room Tip: The downstairs suite with the outdoor tub and shower is quite unique and worth a try!
  • Stayed: May 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed April 27, 2017

Raven was an excellent host who kept our room clean and our clothes washed. Our room was cozy with breezes that kept us cool. The bathroom was clean and the shower was very nice. We had full run of her house! We ate outside for breakfast daily. We walked to her lava beach and saw the volcano steam in the distance. She is an amazing cook, and served fresh fruit, juice and coffee daily. The coffee was superb. She provided us with fresh chips, fruit and bottled water.

Mark took us snorkeling and helped Linda learn how to float and snorkel in the tide pool ponds. He has a vast knowledge of all the plants and history of the island.

Bring your flip flops to go in and out of the house, since they have lovely carpets and do not want your shoes on in the house. Her place is easy to find if you follow her directions.

Room Tip: We had the Lava room.
  • Stayed: April 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank Thomas J
Reviewed March 4, 2017

Raven and Mark are great. The place is so unique everyone should experience it. But be open minded, it's got it's quirks, which is what makes it so good. Deducting one star because it's not for those seeking 5 star luxury. For instance the area can be pretty warm and humid and their is no AC. The cool outdoor shower sure did the trick for us however.

• Stayed: February 2017, traveled as a couple
RavenSlaughter, Owner at Ma'ukele Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. It was wonderful to host you here in beautiful Kaimu on the Sea.
No, this is not a 5 star luxury hotel. We are a simple beach house fronting an unspoiled black sands beach. There are views of the Lava coming down Kilauea and views of the plume of smoke as it hits the sea from my beach.
I wish to share the simple experience of living on the water with the local element and locally grown fruits and fresh made breads and pies. I am sharing an part of Hawaii and cultural experience that is not Hotel replicated. Mark, born here on the Islands, is an historian and horticulturalist that gives wonderful and personal takes on Hawaii.
The trades blow through the beach house usually, and it is comfortable except, when the weather is unusually hot, as it was when you were here. Fans are in all the rooms.
This is an experience unto its own.
with aloha,