“Historic feel” 4 of 5 stars

Romney Motel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Seligman
“Historic feel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Room was very clean while keeping an old feel. Since it is on old route 66, they are aiming for that effect. Office attendants were very friendly. Within walking distance of restaurant and route 66 novelty shops. Easy access to I-40.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank Christopher N S... H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We unfortunately arrived at midnight but the manager was very nice about it and was relaxed when we checked out half an hour late. Parking is tight but can be fitted in. The room was a decent size and the fixtures needed updating but it all added to the charm. Good value for money and right on Route 66.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Arabella_P
manila,phils
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We searched in the internet on where we can stay after our visit to Grand Canyon. It's an hour drive to Grand Canyon. Romney Motel fits our budget with the basic amenities we can have. It's in famous Route 66 Seligman area. The manager was accomodating and offered refill coffee to us. There are lots of souvenirs shop where you can buy stuffs to bring back home.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Cuenca, Ecuador
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We are always interested in a good bargain when it comes to accommodations, so the nightly rate of $54.90 per night caught our attention. ($58.93, with tax) All we needed was a comfy clean bed, air-conditioning, a TV, and hot water. This is a no-frills place, but it had the basics we required. The owners were very neighborly when we checked in. The place is old, but was clean and repairs were kept up. If we ever need a room in the small town of Seligman again, we would return here.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #6.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CGGlobeTrekkers
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I parked my car at around 8:30 PM at the romney having just driven in from Sanfrancisco...So I was kinda of tired.. My first impression is , parking is a bit tight and be prepared to back out of your spot onto 66. Second, the place is a bit of a dump. it's an inexpensive dump ,but a dump none the less. You go to the office and you have to open two doors ;one a screen door the second a security door? I checked in and the office person offered two suggestions for dinner, and I was told to just go, not even bother checking into my room, because the restaurants closed at 9. So that was nice. (I don't go to any restaurant just before closing, because it peeves off the wait staff to have diners that close to the end of their shifts). So I just moved my car to infront of my room and was prepared to open the door, when a youngish kitty cat , gray and skittish rounded the corner to great me. It seemed like it wanted to enter my room but didn't. Off to the left (west side of the building) there seems to be piles of junk everywhere , so maybe little kitty was looking for mice or rats.

Nice little kitty though, meowed a quick greeting but scampered away when I stepped closer to it.

The room is beat up, old as the motel is and needs up dating. but it's a 1 star motel not a 4 star hotel and not anything special. It's certainly not quaint by any stretch of the imagination..

You do have the feeling of insecurity at this motel and I would say at any of the others I walked by the next morning, a few lower class locals milling about, seemingly wishing to smash a car window... There's one on the far east side of town....that didn't seem too too bad , but its certainly not walking distance to any restaurants in the "downtown" area of seligman...so if you want to be close to the bars or restaurants, it's the Supai or the romney or a couple of other equally disappointing looking choices.

I'd lock the car, take everything into the room then take every thing back out when you go to gas up your car or eat at restaurants. the town itself seems low life ish...people drifting in off the freeway , locals that pick up cigarette butts off the ground and smoke em ...people like that.

Nothing happened.....but you just got the feeling it was simply a matter of time before the sheriff was called. Weather was good though!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank willdriveforfood
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We had a blow-out on our Budget truck, filled to the max. So we had to make an unexpected stay in Seligman, AZ. What a quaint little town! It is unique, to say the least! We ended up staying at the Romney Motel which was the most reasonable price and the only hotel in that town that allowed pets (we had 2 cats in tow). They do have "pet-free" rooms for those with allergies. The owners are SO nice, friendly and helpful. I highly recommend staying at this little hotel right off I-40 near the Grand Canyon. We also ate at the RoadKill Cafe just down the street and that is another vErY interesting place!! I give this place a 3.75 out of 5! Happy Trails to all! Cindy :~)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank Cindy M
Queenstown, Otago, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

We stayed here in September 2011. I've read some good and bad reviews, and I guess in the end it depends on your expectations. The owners were friendly, the rooms were clean, internet was free. I don't expect too much staying in a Motel, a clean room with a bed and helpful staff should suffice. The Motel is within spitting distance to the Black Cat Bar, where we met some of the friendliest people on our US trip, and walking distance to the other attractions in Seligman. If you want 5 star accommodation, your looking in the wrong town. On another point, the town is sometimes described as a tourist trap, perhaps, but can I recommend your stay a day or two, and say hello to the locals, a great bunch of people.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Mike M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seligman
Deluxe Inn Motel
Grand Canyon Caverns Inn
Grand Canyon Caverns Inn
#1 of 1 in Peach Springs
3.5 of 5 stars 131 reviews

Been to Romney Motel? Share your experiences!