“Guest for a week”
Review of Cedars Resort

Cedars Resort
Ranked #44 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I was a tad trepidatious about this location after reading the mixed reviews so was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of my stay. The room was very clean and tastefully decorated. The bathroom was large and fresh and I do love the stained glass window in there. I am not sure what anyone would have to complain about as I tend to be a bit fussy and there was nothing but great folks and fantastic views and very quiet sleeps. For a place to rest your head at night in a very central location I was impressed at the reasonable price and very glad of the canyon view.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Ann O

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We actaully never spent the night because we were so upset with how we were treated at the front desk!
An elderly stout woman working at the front desk is one of the rudest people I have EVER encountered in my life!
It started with my friend asking to use a restroom while we were checking in; the woman behind the counter said to my friend without even looking up at her "we have no public restroom" OUr room was not ready so that wasn't an option either.
Her attitude about everything we spoke about was snarky, condescending, saracstic and COLD! She never made eye contact. We didn't feel welcome.My friends and I were on a much needed vacation. We are all successful, clean proffesionals that just want to go somewhere and enjoy our time off.
We just want to be treated with a friendly attitude and get some rest. Nothing more!
We left after doing a pre-check-in, went and had some lunch, and started calling other hotels.
We found a place where we were treated with kindness, and respect. (a blessing in all this actually).
We then called the Cedars and asked to speak to a manager and the same woman we encountered at the fornt desk told us"I'm as good as you're gonna get" We tried to explain to her how she made us feel and all she did was give us excuses without ever giving an apology.
She finally asked us if we awere guests at the hotel (of course why would I be calling I thought), I replied yes and she said well you can come back and get your money then.
Which we did.
Coincidentally two different co-workers at my office had future plans to stay there and I gave them a two thumbs down and told them to look else where, which they did.
We will NEVER stay there and will be spreading the word as to why.

This is NOT the place for

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank Timtony1
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Picked this place using Frommer's Travel Guide and booked 6-hours ahead of our arrival.

Girl on phone was friendly and accommodating. We told them to expect us near midnight as we drove from Page AZ. You must call their emergency number for late check-ins and no one told the guy we were coming. He was clearly ready for bed and gave us "Well, it's gonna take 15-minutes for me to get there..." ...inferring we should give up and go to another hotel.

The place is dated but well maintained. Our room was large and comfortable with a "Canyon View." Walking distance to main strip of shops and restaurants is a plus.

Short answer is I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Canyon View rooms are worth the extra few bucks.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AdventureArt
Reviewed June 23, 2012

My husband reserved 2 nights at this resort to celebrate my birthday. On the way up to the hotel we were involved in a rollover collision. Thankfully we survived the incident, but we called the hotel right away to let them know that due to unforeseen circumstances, we were not going to be able to come, explaining we had just been involved in a rollover accident, our vehicle had been totaled, and we had pretty much just lost everything, all on my birthday mind you. The woman we spoke with said due to their "48 hour policy" they don't do refunds, but that she would talk with a manager and call us back. After waiting all evening, all the while still not able to make it home or to the hotel I called the hotel back (since they didn't call us back as promised). I explained in detail what had happened stating that I just couldn't believe they wouldn't refund our money after having such a horrible day and of no choice of our own. The manager on staff of course repeated the 48 hour policy phrase. When I pressed further for any other options and how I just couldn't believe the lack of service given the circumstances, he actually stated smugly "well at least you're still alive". Having had such a traumatic accident, and then for their lack of understanding, and overall completely rude comments I will never go to this hotel and would caution anyone to stay away.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank militarywf
Reviewed June 15, 2012

First of all, the earlier comments about this being more like a poor grade motel, rather than a 'resort' as the name would suggest, are entirely correct, and we wish we had read the reviews more carefully before staying here. But that is only the start of where the horrors of this place begin. The young guy on check-in is an absolute idiot. Pleasant enough, but he knows absolutely nothing about the place and describing him as socially awkward would be an understatement.

There is also a younger girl who works there who was down right rude to our friends, and told them in no uncertain terms that they did not serve breakfast to guests.

The rooms are non-smoking, but definitely smell of old smoke. They are dirty, the floors covered in gross shag pile carpet, there was mold in the bathroom, and don't be fooled by the photos on the website which make the rooms looks semi decent. They are dark, dated, and the bed is like something that have been used in the Middle Ages in torture chambers. The sink is in the bedroom, while the shower and toilet are separate. 'Tide' soap is supplied for hand and body washing, along with shampoo that leaves your hair dry for days. The pool is in the rear of the complex, and nothing like what is depicted on the website. Rather it looks like somewhere you would place your garbage, rather than a place to sit and relax. om Situated on busy roundabout, there is the constant drone of cars all day and night. The walls are paper thin, so expect younger members of your family to get an early sex education.

There is a sign in the 'garden' warning you of snakes and bugs that bite and sting. I think the sign should be place in the front office. A late check out will cost you an extra $20 per hour.
The older guy who works the desk in the mornings is creepy and weird - like someone out of an Alfred Hitchock movie.
Avoid breakfast served in the lobby. It consists of bottled juice, no cereal, Danish pastries and bagels wrapped and full of preservatives (the type found in dispensing machines) with used by dates about 10 years from now! Suggest the Starbucks or Wildflower cafe across the street as alternatives if you are unfortunate enough to stay here.

Both my wife and I had red and itchy for the entire time we stayed here, and read subsequently of guests contracting conjunctivitis when staying here. Again, wish we had read this before.

So, if you want to relive an Alfred Hitchcock movie, eat chemical laden bagels for breakfast, and feel like pulling your eyes out during your stay in Sedona, then we would recommend your staying at the Sedona Cedars Motel (sorry Resort). There are plenty of other places to stay in Sedona, at far more reasonable prices, more modern interior, and who know what customer service is about.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank irishgypseyrover
Reviewed June 3, 2012

We were so excited by the tremendous view from our room that included the sound of the running creek below, that we brought our dinner in from a local place, and sat on our private patio for hours watching the different shadows on the red rocks. I loved the decorating details in the room, including an Iris tapestry and stain glass window in the bathroom. We enjoyed the smal table in the room as well. This is not a new hotel, but it is kept up and is right in the heart of Sedona. easy walk to everything. We were very disappointed that they "haven't heated the pool for years" It was way too cold to swim in despite its inviting location. The pool deck is actually very warm, with no shade but has a GREAT VIEW. We were able to enjoy the hot tub though. The staff was very friendly and helpful. There are also special private gardens and picnic areas on the property.

Room Tip: Most room have a Creek side view!! what a location!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I decided to stay in Sedona an additional night after staying two nights (at Amara Hotel - checkout my review. I recommend it). It was Saturday of Memorial Day weekend and everything was booked. I spent all morning calling places and after about 20 calls someone told me to check this place out because they usually have rooms. They had a room and I reserved it over the phone. I thought the $160.00 + price sounded high, and I was hoping that meant it was a high end place. I agree exactly with one of the other reviewers "Lucky U", it is a glorified motel. The room would barely qualify as a moderate motel room. This could be one of those $39.95 rooms you see near truck stops. It was a bit outdated and small. The bathroom was very small. The breakfast was very minimal, with bottled juice and packaged pastry. I have no idea why they would consider this a "resort". I didn't expect what I got for the price and I felt a bit ripped off. The best thing about this place was the view out our window and that it's walking distance to main Sedona tourist area. I wouldn't consider this place again unless it was an emergency! I gave it one star because you have to give at least one star to post.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple